Pike and zander fish-in

Anderoo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zander and pike fish in and Pike Teach-in

Dates: 27 February - Sun 1 March (pike teach-in 2pm on Saturday 28 Feb)

Cost: £18 (1/2 price season ticket, on the bank from baliffs)

Venue: Middle Level, Norfolk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the fun at last season's Wobblethon (http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Wobblethon-24th-February-2008-t79692.html), I'm now thinking about this year's outing. What I'm planning is something slightly different, if enough people are interested. Instead of a day's piking, who fancies a night or two after zander, and fishing for pike (and/or roach, bream, etc.) in the daytime?

If you'd like to come and fish alongside someone who has more experience of predator fishing (especially unhooking) just say, I'm sure we can work something out :thumbs:

Proper wild, mysterious Zander, and the chance of a decent pike or two - please let me know if you're interested :)

Who's coming to the fish-in

Me + 1

Budgie

Angly

Alex

Andrew Burgess

Longshank +1

Fenman

Ginger

Pike Teach-in

At 2pm on Saturday 28 Feb, Budgie has kindly offered to provide a pike teach-in. Please see his topic about this here: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Pike-te...-9-t616881.html

If you would like to come to the teach-in (highly recommended if you plan on fishing for predators, or would like to learn more from a very experienced angler) please reply to this topic, and we can keep all the info in one place :)

The teach-in will take place on the bank.

Who's coming to the teach-in

Yorkio

Anderoo

Norfolk Rob

Longshank

Angly

The three days will work like this:

Friday - arrive and meet up on the bank throughout the day, pick a swim, fish for pike and/or other species in the daytime. At night, either fish for zander or bring the rods in and get a decent night's sleep!

Saturday - pike teach-in (2pm), bit of a chat and get-together, and other fishing around it. Zander fishing or camping at night.

Sunday - piking or other fishing in the daytime, and leave for home whenever's convenient

You can of course come and go as you please, if you just fancy one day or one night's fishing.

Hope to see you there :)

Edited by Anderoo
Dates corrected

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again Andrew depending on the date i be interested! I'd never caught a zander yet and with my healthwise (getting old! :rolleyes::lol: ) - Time is running out for me!

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Cool - let's aim for the end of Oct or the beginning of Nov, Test fish-in permitting. I know a few people are busy around the middle of Oct.

I love this time of year - it's when the real fishing starts!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cool - let's aim for the end of Oct or the beginning of Nov, Test fish-in permitting. I know a few people are busy around the middle of Oct.

I love this time of year - it's when the real fishing starts!

I'd love to come, but not until mid November if at all!

Rich

I have never caught a zander and would love to come along. I am sort of committing myself half term week to a 'meet' in the New Forest which I thought I could make use of free time & fish the Avon or Stour but otherwise I am free now I have retired from coaching :)

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Looks like this will be select gathering! How about the nights of 31 Oct and 1 Nov as provisional dates?

If night fishing is putting people off, feel free to come along for any of the days (Fri-Sun) and fish for pike, bream, roach, etc.

A friend of mine still lives in the area, he'll keep me informed about how it's fishing. If we need to do a last minute change of drain for the best chance of some action, it'll be easy to organise - it's all the same ticket and they're all very close to each other. It's fishing well at the moment, he tells me.

I'm not the world's best zander angler, but I've done a fair bit. Tackle and tactics are very similar to pike, and as (big) pike are a possibility it pays not to scale down too much. I use 2.25lb tc rods and 12lb line, with a 15lb wire trace and size 10 trebles. If there's no flow on the drain I prefer to use bobbins rather than drop-offs, as zander can be very finicky. Dropped runs are common, and resistance should be kept to a minimum. I always leger/paternoster, but they can be caught on the float. Freshly killed coarse fish (roach, skimmers, eels) or small livebaits are the best baits. You can usually catch plenty, but it's worth having some frozen ones just in case :rolleyes: The vast majority of zander are caught at night. Reliable spots are tight to the Norfolk reedbeds and at the bottom of the marginal slopes. The drain is pretty much featureless, so any kind of feature is worth a go.

Please post any questions you might have.

By the way, the fens can get very windy, very cold and very lonely. Feel free to bring a camo teddy bear :D

Mods, could you pin this please? Ta.

Looks like this will be select gathering! How about the nights of 31 Oct and 1 Nov as provisional dates?

If night fishing is putting people off, feel free to come along for any of the days (Fri-Sun) and fish for pike, bream, roach, etc.

A friend of mine still lives in the area, he'll keep me informed about how it's fishing. If we need to do a last minute change of drain for the best chance of some action, it'll be easy to organise - it's all the same ticket and they're all very close to each other. It's fishing well at the moment, he tells me.

I'm not the world's best zander angler, but I've done a fair bit. Tackle and tactics are very similar to pike, and as (big) pike are a possibility it pays not to scale down too much. I use 2.25lb tc rods and 12lb line, with a 15lb wire trace and size 10 trebles. If there's no flow on the drain I prefer to use bobbins rather than drop-offs, as zander can be very finicky. Dropped runs are common, and resistance should be kept to a minimum. I always leger/paternoster, but they can be caught on the float. Freshly killed coarse fish (roach, skimmers, eels) or small livebaits are the best baits. You can usually catch plenty, but it's worth having some frozen ones just in case :rolleyes: The vast majority of zander are caught at night. Reliable spots are tight to the Norfolk reedbeds and at the bottom of the marginal slopes. The drain is pretty much featureless, so any kind of feature is worth a go.

Please post any questions you might have.

By the way, the fens can get very windy, very cold and very lonely. Feel free to bring a camo teddy bear :D

Mods, could you pin this please? Ta.

Doh that is the exact time the baby id due!

Rich

Could well be that you get three northern oiks to fish this one, myself and a couple of fishing pals , so it could be time to lose my zander cherry

Whats the chances of pitching a bivvy up whilst fishing and getting a bit of bankside kip during the day for fishing through the night, long way to come and not get any digs or anywhere to sleep

Could well be that you get three northern oiks to fish this one, myself and a couple of fishing pals , so it could be time to lose my zander cherry

Whats the chances of pitching a bivvy up whilst fishing and getting a bit of bankside kip during the day for fishing through the night, long way to come and not get any digs or anywhere to sleep

Excellent, the more the merrier :thumbs: I'll put you on the list.

Bivvying up is the usual thing to do.

Rich, sorry about the timing :huh: Once things have settled we'll have to do a return trip.

Edited by Anderoo