Pike and zander fish-in

Anderoo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who's coming

Me

Budgie

Andrew Burgess

Lyn

Brian Carragher

Brian Carragher +1

Brian Carragher +2

For BC +1 read Geno Coates

For BC+2 read Bob Watson

Bob will be known to a few on here through the predator group and a couple of other avenues after meeting up with Slodger (Chris Hammond) for a spot of fishing

So thats us three committed then (well I think we probably shoud be, straight to the local hospital)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For BC +1 read Geno Coates

For BC+2 read Bob Watson

Bob will be known to a few on here through the predator group and a couple of other avenues after meeting up with Slodger (Chris Hammond) for a spot of fishing

So thats us three committed then (well I think we probably shoud be, straight to the local hospital)

Great, 1st post amended :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I’m pretty sure I’ll be up in Terrington St. John, just 2.5 miles from Magdalen Bridge over the Middle Level, the preceding week. I’m supposed to be back ‘dan saff’ on the 2nd for a Christening, but I’d definitely like to pop along on either the Friday day/evening Saturday day, or a combination, or something. Despite the fact I spent three weeks in Terrington St. John just weeks ago, shamefully, I STILL haven’t fished Middle Level (I did take all my gear, but just didn’t get the time), so I can break not only that duck, but also hopefully my Zander and Pike ducks. And of course it will make up for my missing the ‘Wobblethon’.

Geoff

Incidentally, one question I do have Anderoo, when, and perhaps more importantly why would one use a paternoster set up instead of straight ledgering when zander and/or pike fishing? Is it to allow a buoyant bait to be suspended mid water with less resistance to taking fish?

Geoff

Good stuff, I'll add you to the list :)

A paternoster (with either a sunken or visible float) is a good way to present a bait (especially a livebait) off the bottom while anchoring it in one place. To be honest I tend to use it more for pike than zander. Nearly all my zander fishing (and I haven't done as much as some on here, so hopefully others will chip in too) is done with a free-running leger.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

All though I use fixed paternoster rigs (sunken float) a lot for my piking and only tend to use the running version at the back end of the season (people used to/still say that pike become "wary" at this time of year as you often start getting dropped runs on fixed paternoster rigs.Im of the opinion they dont get wary at all its just that this time of year sees the weed starting to grow back and the fixed paternosters lead link simply catchs on this causing a change of resistance and the resulting dropped run) for paternostering a live for Zeds I enevitably use a free running pat rig.For some reason Zeds seem even more intolerant of resistance/change of resistance than pike.

That though is really the only way my Zed set up varies from my pike one. If I know there are going to be a lot of small Zeds I do tend to drop the size of both baits and trebles but when targeting/expecting to catch lumps I just use the same as pike.

Bite indication wise I still use a rear drop arm but sometimes use it with a front mounted buzzer rather than my standard pike Back Biters (a combined rear drop arm and buzzer indicater) Once again thgis varies depending on venue and size of fish expected.

The only other thing I will say (all though some will no doubt have different experiences) is to forget about sea deadbaits and use (preferably fresh) coarse ones. I know people have caught on sea deads but when I look at the many thousands of hours myself and my friends have pike fished on waters with zeds in and not taken one on a sea dead the odds just aint good!

Ive not Zed fished for a few years now but did have several seasons really hard at them back in the 90's.So if any ones a bit unsure of how to go about it just ask.

I think one of the important things to remember about Zed fishing is that even though you are night fishing and have a bivvy up you are NOT carp fishing! The bivvy is to try and keep you and your gear out of the often hard elements not to go to sleep in your sack in! I personally kip in the day.Kipping and Pred fishing just dont work out.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hmmm, well plenty for me to mull over there, thank you. I'm never quite sure which I prefer: The enjoyment of angling itself, or the pleasure gained from knowing I am (slowly!) becoming a better angler.

Anderoo, does the KLAA weekly ticket run 7-days and nights from the day of purchase (e.g. Wednesday to Tuesday), or does it start on a fixed day like a fishing licence does (e.g. Saturday to Friday)?

Geoff

IMPORTANT:

I've just spoken to a tackle shop in King's Lynn, and it turns out that the info I was given by the baliff last year was incorrect - the weekly tickets (which are £10, by the way) do not cover night fishing. The only way to night fish is to buy a season ticket at £36.

I'm really sorry about this, I should have double checked before. I realise it's a lot of money for a couple of nights fishing. Could you all let me know what you want to do?

We could change it to another day's pike fishing instead?

Sorry... :mellow:

Lyn, I hate to be a pest but do you think you could pick me up on the way? These sort of fish ins are the only chance I'm going to get to catch some zander (mebbe) and I've always wanted to fish the broads! If you can't no worries, it is quite far! I'm good at carrying gear though ;)