Piking at Kingsbury

twochay

Hi all, it has been ages since i posted but was wondering if any of the members had fished kingsbury water park for the pike? I am going sunday and was hoping someone may have some info on the place, which lake for a start!

Been to the water a couple of times and it is not a easy place to fish either!

more information here - http://www.fisheries.co.uk/kingsbury/

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Hi

First time poster.

I have fished Kingsbury for Pike and have found it hard going.

Why not jump down the M42 A few Junctions and try Earlswood lakes. This is a BW day ticket venue.

It is mainly Carp and Bream fishing but the pike fishing is fantastic (hardly anyone fishes there for pike.)

Fish in the windmill pool, there is an old Jetty by the front wall, fish parallel to this as there is an old sunken wall about 5 meters out witch the pike tend to sit., Lure fishing with big spoons or deep diving Plugs.

Also dead baits on a sliding float work well. (Do not fish here on the bottom, to many snags) I have also taken Big eels here when pike fishing with dead baits.

I have had lots of doubles from this area, my biggest 27lb (pike that is not eels :-)

I lived by the lakes in the early 70's and this was a favourite pike spot, but it seems little know these days. It was always in the angling press for massive hauls of good size pike.

I like to get a dead out and then lure fish to keep warm, great winter fun.

When the rivers are out of form, (I fish mostly the Avon and the arrow) I will head up to Earlswood lakes

For a days piking.

Cheers Bluerins

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Hi

First time poster.

I have fished Kingsbury for Pike and have found it hard going.

Why not jump down the M42 A few Junctions and try Earlswood lakes. This is a BW day ticket venue.

It is mainly Carp and Bream fishing but the pike fishing is fantastic (hardly anyone fishes there for pike.)

Fish in the windmill pool, there is an old Jetty by the front wall, fish parallel to this as there is an old sunken wall about 5 meters out witch the pike tend to sit., Lure fishing with big spoons or deep diving Plugs.

Also dead baits on a sliding float work well. (Do not fish here on the bottom, to many snags) I have also taken Big eels here when pike fishing with dead baits.

I have had lots of doubles from this area, my biggest 27lb (pike that is not eels :-)

I lived by the lakes in the early 70's and this was a favourite pike spot, but it seems little know these days. It was always in the angling press for massive hauls of good size pike.

I like to get a dead out and then lure fish to keep warm, great winter fun.

When the rivers are out of form, (I fish mostly the Avon and the arrow) I will head up to Earlswood lakes

For a days piking.

Cheers Bluerins

Re above it was a decent Pike water in the 70's. The Jetty is no longer there & the Pike population is modest. Doubles are rare fish these days.

Regular matches also limit weekend access.

Not what it was i'm afraid

Edited by john cahill

Re above it was a decent Pike water in the 70's. The Jetty is no longer there & the Pike population is modest. Doubles are rare fish these days.

Regular matches also limit weekend access.

Not what it was i'm afraid

Hi John

I have still had good days on the lake, I was last there last season and had 8 pike in one sestion the biggest being 12 lb, I should have pointed out that the jetty is no loner there only the Iron work.

cheers Rihcard

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I used to fish Kingsbury a few years back but it was a bit of a headbanger.

We fished the main lake and also the Willow Pool (I think that was its name.....)

The main lake seems pretty featureless for a pit, we fished on the back of the wind running long range drifters and didn`t encounter a fat lot of depth changes. It just seemed a shallow(ish) flat expanse of water.

Don`t take that as gospel, I`ve never fished pits too often and for all I know we could have just found a featureless area.

If you`re going to fish it I would definitely advise drifting one rod to search the place out.

We never caught much from the place and what we did get were small. Theres probably better places around.

wolf.gif

Got to agree with John, Earlswood isn’t a patch on what it was in the 70's. Unless it’s picked up recently (as indeed pike waters can if left alone for a bit. Thinking back on it it must have been the late 80's early 90's when I last fished it (Andrew?) I think Andrew fished it a few times after though. In fact the last time I fished it was on New Years Eve or Day caught one fish a rather stumpy double. Also last time I spoke to John Sidly before he passed away. There were a few people up there that day either fishing it or just walking round for "old time’s sake".

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi all thanks for the replies .. well to be honest that has given me a bit of an headache! I am basically afgter a days piking somewere within hour and half of nuneaton, it is the first time i have ventured out since i moved back from Norfolk 18 months ago, i was very spoilt down there! Any ideas were i could try for a few runs, not to bothered about size or venue . . im easy, river,lake ........ broad (i wish i was back there :( )