Bic Fishing Yak....Any good

Marginmaster

HI,

Anyone had any expereince of fishing in ones of these, would like to know pros and cons if poss and any comparisons with the other popular models.

Stu

Aha! It so happens I have two Bilbao's, the kayak that is used for the angling version, and a Tobago, the big two seater.

All I can say, is the Bilbao is very stable, quite fast if needed, and we have paddled miles in them. I intend to use both the Bilbao and the Tobago for extensive fishing next summer. We are taking all three to Wales to go dolphin spotting.

They are not affected by sidewinds, track very well, and I have stood up in mine! You can easily car top them singlehanded, a big plus, and carry them on your own as well, they have a hand recess just inside.

We have used them on the sea mainly, and on a lake. They are great fun in the waves, and very safe. On a lake, you just wouldn't get wet.

If you want to save about £50 off the retail price, look on e-bay, at Lakeland Electric Boats. I bought all mine from them. They are £389 for the angler.

You could just buy a straight Bilbao, and fish with that, just buy a Bic angling seat for £35. The kayak is £299.

1st rate service, and if you buy paddles and other gear, you don't pay any extra carriage. They only charge £20 for delivery, by Nightfreight. I had a rubber seat pad missing from one Bilbao, and I phoned up Lakeland Boats, and the next day, I had a full pack of seat pads and spares, free! Can't complain aboot that.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIC-SPORT-BILBAO-FIS...VQQcmdZViewItem

If you lived near me, you could try one, I fancy a cold weather paddle!

Edited by maidstonemike

Interesting that when i approached BIc at the very outset of the Boat Fishing Monthly feature series on kayak fishing they weren't interested in having an angler edition and didn't show any interest in being on the test list either.......seems they have changed their minds!

How it paddles I can't say as I haven't been in one - but they are harder material than many of the polythene versions which makes them stiffer. If you want to go distance then the Scapa would be the one to go for - and rig it with a couple of flush mounts or whatever.

I think there is a tendency for people to want to overcomplicate their kayaks. It is just as much fun with a simple set up and just a few angler aids. Only serious targetting needs the kind of tarting that Spanner, Phooey and Richi get up to. The rest of us just tag along and let them find the fish for us!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Interesting that when i approached BIc at the very outset of the Boat Fishing Monthly feature series on kayak fishing they weren't interested in having an angler edition and didn't show any interest in being on the test list either.......seems they have changed their minds!

How it paddles I can't say as I haven't been in one - but they are harder material than many of the polythene versions which makes them stiffer. If you want to go distance then the Scapa would be the one to go for - and rig it with a couple of flush mounts or whatever.

I think there is a tendency for people to want to overcomplicate their kayaks. It is just as much fun with a simple set up and just a few angler aids. Only serious targetting needs the kind of tarting that Spanner, Phooey and Richi get up to. The rest of us just tag along and let them find the fish for us!!

I agree about overcomplicating a kayak. It's perfectly possible to fish without loads of equipment. I have an angling bodywarmer, with dozens of pockets. It fits over a wetsuit. One rod, and an anchor, plus a bait/fish holder, and I'm away. I don't want a kayak just for fishing though, as I like recreatrional paddling with my family as well.

It's the same with any hobby, some take a really keen interest, and buy all the gadgets, that's what they enjoy. I prefer to keep it simple, same with my beach fishing.

The Bic paddles well, has good gliding properties, and is quite quick and very stable, and a dry ride. No, it's not designed for really long distance touring, but we cover 5 or 6 miles with no problem. When you think that most will only want to get out a few hundred yards off a beach to reach fish, they are ideal, because they are so easily transported by one person. For lakes, I really don't think you need anything else.

http://picasaweb.google.com/maidstonemike/...terNovember2006

Edited by maidstonemike

I agree about overcomplicating a kayak. It's perfectly possible to fish without loads of equipment.

my bank balance would be a lot healthier if I was like that.Trouble is I'm one of these people that if they see something that will make thier hobby either more comfortable or more fun or safer has to have one immediately---just an unashamed tackle tart :D

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

my bank balance would be a lot healthier if I was like that.Trouble is I'm one of these people that if they see something that will make thier hobby either more comfortable or more fun or safer has to have one immediately---just an unashamed tackle tart :D

Exactly my point too Richi, thats what large amounts of disposable income is for :yeah:

SDD~~~~~ :sun: (trainee tackle tart :) )

I agree about overcomplicating a kayak. It's perfectly possible to fish without loads of equipment. I have an angling bodywarmer, with dozens of pockets. It fits over a wetsuit. One rod, and an anchor, plus a bait/fish holder, and I'm away. I don't want a kayak just for fishing though, as I like recreatrional paddling with my family as well.

It's the same with any hobby, some take a really keen interest, and buy all the gadgets, that's what they enjoy. I prefer to keep it simple, same with my beach fishing.

The Bic paddles well, has good gliding properties, and is quite quick and very stable, and a dry ride. No, it's not designed for really long distance touring, but we cover 5 or 6 miles with no problem. When you think that most will only want to get out a few hundred yards off a beach to reach fish, they are ideal, because they are so easily transported by one person. For lakes, I really don't think you need anything else.

http://picasaweb.google.com/maidstonemike/...terNovember2006

Brilliant photo's again Mike :yeah: only one thing missing from your pics.........RODS :yeah::):)

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

You are both AMATEUR kayak tarts.

SERIOUS tackle tarts paddle Kaskazi Dorados!!

Damn! In all the excitment of the Pike meet still didnt take it out for a spin. Have a sneeky feeling we could be made for each other. Cant see me sneeking it past the missus though. :):(

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)