English Smoking Ban

Elton

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the smart thing to do now ,is to buy shares in companies that make patio heaters.

all those new outdoor smoking areas!! :lol:

Sorry Dave !!!!They might be banned soon as well, seemingly ,they are heavily contributing to the destruction of the Ozone layer..... :P:P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4719654.stm

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Sorry Dave !!!!They might be banned soon as well, seemingly ,they are heavily contributing to the destruction of the Ozone layer..... :P:P

what a load of tosh norrie! :lol::lol: how on earth do you lot put up with these tossers! :lol::lol:

they will be connecting cows bottoms up to collection tankers next!!! :lol::lol:

cheers mate! dave :lol:

what a load of tosh norrie! :lol::lol: how on earth do you lot put up with these tossers! :lol::lol:

they will be connecting cows bottoms up to collection tankers next!!! :lol::lol:

cheers mate! dave :lol:

Yep, the PC brigade is getting totally out of order mate !!!! :(

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Guest Ferret1959
Can't EAT?????

Part of my throat and tongue removed and replaced with a chunk of my arm.

Oh smoking has ruined my love life too. :(

Can't kiss my girlfriend how I'd like to and being unable to control the saliva in my mouth is embarassing, I have to spit all the time.

Talking is difficult and a lot of the time folk can't tell wtf I'm saying.:(

Smoking..............I HATE what it's done to me.

Tell ya what is upsetting about smoking though....my 17 year old Son smokes even after seeing what I have been through. :angry::angry:

Nah ........ its global warming, not the same thing really!! whats wrong with putting another pullover on anyway!

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

i gave up 3 weeks ago, main reason = so i can go for a pint when the ban comes into force without having to go outside..........

problem i forsee is ...

I worked for the fag industry for 12 years, my job was actually to promote smoking, i was a shopfitter for Rothmans & Marlboro, we dealt with all thier instore advertising and many other campaigns.

the goverment expect over 600,000 people to give up once the ban comes into place, they also expect to see a large increase in drinking related problems, domestic violence as smokers will drink at home and normally lots more, they also expect to see an increase in unemployment within the "pub sector" a well known fact is that since the ban has been in place in Scotland and Southern Ireland a massive amount of public house' s have closed thier doors, with upwards of 600,000 people trying to kick the habit (that the goverment introduced) the cost to the NHS will far outway the actual cost of dealing with smoking related illness's, there will also be a massive whole in the revenue borught into the coffers, this will have to be covered in some way and most likley to be - Fuel, Income Tax, VAT, Beer & Spirits etc etc, the things that most of us use each and every day.

Lets see who will be happy then .......

yes its a filthy dirty habbit that annoys others and is bad for you, not at all like drinking. Just think now you can go in to a bar "smoke free" and have the pi** heads slober and be sick all over you, and at least you wont stink of smoke. And just think when when some one fancys sticking a alco-pop bottle over your head it wont have a fag-but in it.

But if you survive that you can have a walk home and have a nice big, (empty) bus drive drive pass you every 3 minuntes and belch out black diesel fumes all over you.

Why not pop in the chippy for a nice kebab as well, or Macy D's and just think how better your health will after not breathing in all that smoke.

Yep we can realy go out and enjoy ourselves and have lovely healthy evening out.

nuff said.

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

Dean

Remind not to go drinking in the pubs you use, as for a bus, whats one of those ? :)

This ban has nothing to do with the health of the nation, if it did they would ban the sale of tobacco altogether.

It is about the rights of bar staff and other workers under the Health and safety at Work act. Like any other workers, they have a legal right to work in an environment with air quality which does not damage their health.

Their employers would be liable for millions of pounds in damages if it could be shown that they had contracted a disease due to air quality in the workplace.

This started many years ago with an Americal Air Stewardess who didn't smoke, but contracted throat cancer, a disease unheard of in non-smokers. This was held as proof of the damaging effects of secondary smoking, the woman sued the airline for millions and won, and that is why smoking is banned on aircraft, nothing to do with you the passenger, or your comfort and safety.

Same argument applies to every other workplace, including bars.

Personally, the sooner they ban it the better :thumbs:

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

This ban has nothing to do with the health of the nation, if it did they would ban the sale of tobacco altogether.

It is about the rights of bar staff and other workers under the Health and safety at Work act. Like any other workers, they have a legal right to work in an environment with air quality which does not damage their health.

There are many more hazardous atmospheres than a smoky pub in which people are allowed to work. If the legislation were about the safety of staff, it would set out measures for air quality, ventilation, protective clothing. I don't think it will be possible to circumvent this legislation by providing bar staff with respirators, so I don't see how their health can be the objective.

Nor do I believe that the issue is the health of non-smokers, because the way around that would be to abolish non-smoking areas and force pubs to be either smoking or non-smoking throughout. The failure of the free market to provide smoke-free pubs leads me to suspect that the pent-up demand for them is a myth; I suspect that those people who say they don't go to pubs now because of the smoke won't go to pubs after the ban either. In that case, if there is a need to meddle, pubs could have been licensed for smoking to ensure that most were smokeless.

This legislation is aimed squarely at smokers. The aim is to make being a smoker as unpleasant and inconvenient as possible in order to badger people into quitting. If they were allowed to legislate that smokers had to attend counselling sessions where they are harangued by the practice nurse, they would. The fact that the legislation is aimed at stopping smokers enjoying their vice (rather than at protecting bystanders) was tacitly acknowledged by the BMA and was the reason they and the rest of the medical profession vehemently opposed any compromise which would leave smokers with a refuge in which to enjoy a pint and a fag.

I don't like the legislation because I think it is nannying, and I dislike it even more on the grounds that it has been sold dishonestly on the basis of protecting non-smokers. It's arrogant and presumptuous, and it's another case of this government taking a policy decision and then using whatever lies, excuses or disingenuity is necessary to sell it to the House and the public.