The greatest feeling in angling.

oneillbox

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me its got to be the moment when the pike bung dissappears, then that few seconds of anticipation before you strike.....

er, 'that few seconds' could mean a deep-hooked fish, possibly a dead fish.

The old advice to wait a while before striking comes from the old days, when the pike was being fished for food, and the angler wanted to make sure that the hooks were swallowed so that they would gain a hold in the soft tissue of the gullet, rather than losing a meal because the hooks failed to find a hold in the bony mouth.

Fishing for sport, the last place we want to set the hooks is deep in the throat, and risk a badly injured or dead fish.

If the float moves, even a tiny bit, the pike has the hooks in it's mouth.

(In some instances a pike will take a deadbait and swallow it without moving, just a slight bobbing of the float is all that you will see).

Strike immediately.

If you use barbless hooks, or hooks with crushed barbs, and make sure that they are sharpened often, so that they dig into your fingernail when dragged across it, it's very unlikely that the hooks won't set in the mouth area, where they can be removed with little chance of significant injury to the pike or stress to yourself.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon,

Most instructional pieces - on tv as well as in the angling press, adivise to wait a few seconds after the float goes before heaving (not jerking) into a pike. Matt Hayes (on tv and in IYCF mag.) advised similar. Why don't you just stick to the thread and answer the question, instead of trying to make the other bloke look like a ****?

Personally, I love mixed float fishing, when you strike into a fish expecting it to be small, and getting an instant bend in the rod, or your pole elastic stretched to the limit. Great feeling!

Leon,

Most instructional pieces - on tv as well as in the angling press, adivise to wait a few seconds after the float goes before heaving (not jerking) into a pike. Matt Hayes (on tv and in IYCF mag.) advised similar. Why don't you just stick to the thread and answer the question, instead of trying to make the other bloke look like a ****?

Not trying to make anyone look anything Paul.

Until I had the benefit of gaining knowledge from others, and being put right about more than a few things, I too believed such old hand-me-down-lore.

Thankfully, for the pike (and some other species), someone took the trouble to put me right.

The least I can do is to do the same when the opportunity arises.

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/tips/deephook.html

the best way to avoid deephooking pike is to use good bite detection, to pay attention to it and to strike as soon as you can.

That, and other similar good advice on safe piking, written by people who know, can be found on the PACGB website.

Well worth a read at: http://www.pacgb.co.uk/tips

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

What I would also add is that on several occasions I've had to assist anglers with deep-hooked pike that they have been having problems dealing with, in one case someone was practically in tears.

Because they delayed striking, and allowed the pike to take the hooks down too deep.

I've also seen anglers suffering dropped runs, because the left the strike too long, so lost the opportunity of hooking the fish, ironic really that they had been advised to dealy the strike to be certain of a good hook-hold.

Since I adopted the practice of setting the hooks at the first indication of a take, my hook up rate doesn't appeard to have suffered, I've not had any dropped runs, and those occasions when the hooks failed to connect with anything were probably eels or crayfish anyway.

Oh, and I've rarely had to deal with a deep hooked fish of my own.

I'm not sure what the greatest feeling in angling is (perhaps hooking into a mullet where you've been always been outwitted by them in the past in that place!), but one of the worst is knowing that you've been responsible for the avoidable and needless death of a fish.

If I can share my knowledge and experience to prevent anyone going through that, including others who might be reading this thread, that in itself will give me a feeling of some satisfaction.

RNLI Shoreline Member

To be fair, he did say 'a few seconds of anticipation' it's hardly advocating smoking a cigarette or waiting for the second run.

My favourite moment is when deadbaiting and the optonic goes. I also love it when carp or chub are feeding on the surface and heading towards your bait.

Edited by Grandma

I totally agree that its the bite! Doesnt matter to me whether its a float going under,a buzzer going off,a boobbin lifting,a fly leader straightening a cod rod springing back!

Whats it going to be? How big? Will I get it?

Pure magic!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

[The best feeling in fishing for me is when i hook into a decent fish and the hooks thump into the fishes mouth, so you can feel the resistance big time.....And that magic clutch when it starts screaming as it pays out line....mmmmmm....

The Clax Will Always Crack

I've got a book called "A singing reel" by Moray McLaren, published in 1953, in which he describes fly fishers whose sole motivation is the rise. They apprarently fish with hookless flies to save themselves the bother of actually hooking and landing the fish!

The author suggests that these anglers are, in his opinion, quite likely to be sexual deviants.... :blink:

p.s. I know you weren't saying the bite was all you were interested in, Budgie - it just reminded me of that book! :)

Leon, I have been fishing , man and boy, for over 50 years and have always hesited before "lifting" into the fish and have had, maybe, 3 deep hooked fish in that time!

Now you are telling me I'm a Pr*t for doing it!! I don't think so!!

Horses for courses - if it works for you do it!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription