The greatest feeling in angling.

oneillbox

Watching a float go under is an everyday highlight, but I think for real excitement it's fishing by sight. Watching a carp approach a floater, circle it, sniff it, almost suck it in and then blow it away again is guaranteed to get the blood pressure through the ceiling. Likewise, stalking barbel or chub. Having a pike take a lure or sink and draw deadbait as you are about to lift it from the water is pretty special too.

Thats gotta be on the list, with the whack round of the barbel rod and you lean into a manic fish, and the red tip (has to be red) of your float on a summers morning on a lake fishing for tench, or the trotting of a stick float on a gravel run, or the electric blue flash of an early morning kingfisher, or.....and they ask us why we do it?

Edited by Rabbit

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, its exploring a new stretch of an unknown river.

Creeping along the banks, through the thick nettles and heavy vegetation that nobody else bothers to go.

Discovering that perfect glide or pool of crystal clear water and peering down into the unknown.

Just the slim chance that you'll be the lucky one and catch a glimse of that perfect specimen that nobody else even knew existed!

There she is!, a huge dark shape relaxing in the shade. It makes the river look like a tiny stream in comparison...You thow in a freebie just up stream...the dark shape turns instantly and heads towards it.. the entire surface ripples around her. She hovers above the freebie, hesitates for a a few seconds.. then it vanishes!

:sun:

For me it's got to be simply being in (wading) the River Wharfe trotting for grayling on a freezing cold but crystal clear, blue sky winters day.....love it!

Paul

If it's a question of what excites the most, I guess it has to be the aniticipation.

I suppose that one word encapsulates the whole magic of being next to water and dangling a tempting morsel on the end of a hook. The optimistic wondering of just what is (if anything!) going to latch on to the end of your line? It's the not knowing and the secretly high expectation that the next capture will be a bit special although, in reality, they're all special.

Our chief weapon is surprise

As I have fished for most of my life, I am still not over the feeling of a fish on the end of the line. This is in any type of fishing and the knowledge that it may be a new personal best is and added plus. Each of us has something special that makes us continue to persue this Great Sport and that is why we continue to do it. I Love to fish and try to share this pleasure with others!

HOPPY4

HOPPY

I have to agree with bluerinse. If you haven't flyfished you don't know what you are missing. When a trout, pike, perch or mackerel (hopefully next year I'll add bass and mullet!) hits on fly gear it is a totally different feeling to when one hits on spinning gear. A fly line has absolutely no stretch, you are holding one end and the fish is holding the other. Until you raise the rod, you are in direct contact, with no "shock absorbing" from rod or line. Especially after a long blank "switching off" period, when you can tend to start going through the motions, it can be almost heart attack material.

God, after a discussion Gerry and I had on Sunday he would have loved this post and be well in there with his views on leaving a pike run or not :lol::lol:

Mine is as my rod tip wrenches round and I stike for that double!! :)

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

A couple of weeks ago I casually mentioned to a friend, that has never fished before, that I'd love to take him to see if he might like it. A few days later he called me to take me up on my offer. So on Wednesday we headed off to Kingsbury Water Park.

We got there to find the swim platforms were under a foot of water and the wind was roaring across the top of the lake causing such a chop that it looked like a big angry river.

All day my mate had less than half a dozen knocks but by gawd did he get excited when he did, he absolutely loved it, the whole day, from the moment I handed him his day licence to the moment we packed up.

He definately wants to do more and I'm going to take him somewhere where he might catch something other than a cold next time.

It was such a great feeling watching someone get hooked. Neither of us cared that we blanked, it was enough for him to be there and I got all I needed from watching him learn and getting so excited about the whole thing.