The greatest feeling in angling.

oneillbox

Fishing for cruicians with a fine and very sensitive float ,fishing to a over hanging tree watching the tip bob slowly with anticipation trying not to strike to early or fishing a river for barbel and seeing that tip and rod double over also when you get a absolute screamer on a buzzer when tench fishing ,hearing the bait runner scream.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

am i only aloud to mention one thing thats not fair.

it all starts for me the night before waiting to go to sleep to wake up early takes u back to being a kid at christmas never know what ur going to get.

getting up stupid oclock in the morning making my flask of coffee creaping round trying not to wake the missus jumping in the car with all the anticipation of the day to come. turning up at the venue just as first light is starting to kick in and you take a little gander to recce out what peg your going to sit on as you do so fish are topping all over the flat surface just eager to wet my line now.

all set up baited the swimm rod is in the water pour my coffee light a cigarette and just waiting for that first fish to ease the butterflies even if your not catching i love the whole being wrapped up warm under my brolley with the pitter patter on the canvas while the surroundings around me are alive a heron sat on the far bank a robin landing on my rod tip or at my feet feeding on rogue maggots a rat running round pinching bits of corn.

and then bang the float goes under or the rod tip quivers strike get in the tip bends feel the fish on the end through the line and the rod and your not to sure if youve gone too light on your tackle heart is pumping you get it too the bank landing it with 1 smooth movement with your net and there you have a prime specimen of a fish in the keep net and wait for the whole experiance again.

packing up at the end the excitment of seeing how well uve done have ibeaten personnal best

tight lines

I wasnt getting on at oniellboxs few seconds, as he wasnt advocating smoking a ciggy before setting the hooks, but leons advice is correct and should be followed.

Greg, thanks for that, that might be exactly what the doctor ordered, ive never pike fished in ireland but fishing for uncaught pike is the way i like it.

it all starts for me the night before waiting to go to sleep to wake up early takes u back to being a kid at christmas never know what ur going to get.

I'm with you there - after angling for over 20 years I still quite often have trouble sleeping the night before a trip!

Mat

Mat

for me its teh take when chasing predators,be it a float going under....a drop-off pulling out of the clip...or an alarm screaming in anger...or a THUMP down the braid as a lure is hit.....its all in the take for me...after sometimes hours of nothing....BANG...like a bolt out of the blue!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Stuff the big whatever!

Just creeping along the bank until I think there is a good spot.

Watch, wait, pop a couple of loose offerings to see what happens.

Lower the float into the water over a screen of nettles or reeds, pop the button on the closed face reel,watch the current take it down to the spot.

Hold back the float....

Then the float goes under.....

The reel backwinds.

It does not matter what size of fish, this always grabs me. I cannot get enough of this.

I really do not care if it is a tiny chub or a stuffing great pike.

It really tastes so much sweeter when someone has said that this spot has no fish.

Oh God do I really have to wait until tomorrow morning for this? Can you fish all day in heaven? Not come back for food or more bait etc.......

"Muddlin' along"

• 2 weeks later...

getting up stupid oclock in the morning making my flask of coffee creaping round trying not to wake the missus jumping in the car with all the anticipation of the day to come. turning up at the venue just as first light is starting to kick in and you take a little gander to recce out what peg your going to sit on as you do so fish are topping all over the flat surface just eager to wet my line now.

all set up baited the swimm rod is in the water pour my coffee light a cigarette and just waiting for that first fish to ease the butterflies even if your not catching i love the whole being wrapped up warm under my brolley with the pitter patter on the canvas while the surroundings around me are alive a heron sat on the far bank a robin landing on my rod tip or at my feet feeding on rogue maggots a rat running round pinching bits of corn.

and then bang the float goes under or the rod tip quivers strike get in the tip bends feel the fish on the end through the line and the rod and your not to sure if youve gone too light on your tackle heart is pumping you get it too the bank landing it with 1 smooth movement with your net and there you have a prime specimen of a fish in the keep net and wait for the whole experiance again.

packing up at the end the excitment of seeing how well uve done have ibeaten personnal best

This is how I feel (but not the cigarette)my missus can't understand why I can't sleep the night before I go fishing.

I've tried allsorrts too 'drop-off' but just seem to have things going through my mind.

Have I got everything ready for a swift get away is the most common and I usually still forget something.

A savage take after perhaps an hour of throwing lures out into the darkness when after barramundi. Never knowing whether it's a jack that'll fight like a thug, a nice barra or an unknown beast that will make a blazing 80m run before jumping and shedding the hooks.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.