Anglers Should Be Licensed And their Catches Restricted.

glennk

So, the seas are full of big cod, but they are just too smart to get caught by trawlers? Surely the fishermen are missing an opportunity here and should try to find some method which WILL catch these highly valuable fish. Or could it just be that they aren't there?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The winter of 1986 saw the best ever run of codling ever seen here on the south coast, that brood year gave excellent fishing for three years.

I can remember reading that they reckoned that something in the plankton that preditated on the codling was absent that year and that was why 1986 was such a good year for codling

Maybe the reverse is happening now?

regards steve

Hi steve

I can confirm this also, 96/97 was a good year but 86/87 was the better one without a doubt, funny thing in those years was the lack of whiting that was caught off the beach, i put it down to that they never had a chance to get to your bait before the codling as they were so numerous, i remember it was not possible to fish with more than one rod it was just to hectic!! with the slack line bites the breakaway lead hardly had time to settle and take hold before it was sprung out by a cod take, i would think there is not fishing like that in any part of the country now, and before anyone says there is i took 25 codling one evening match to the scales all around the 3lb bracket in just 4 hours and did not get in the top three among 30 anglers :blink: and were was this all taking place? whitby? no! just a little shallow sandy beach on a starlit without a breath of wind shore mark in sussex, shame of it all was by 1999 when these fish would have been near doubles we were back to blanking sessions when it came to cod, oh fwiww the whiting catches returned i wonder why?

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

So, the seas are full of big cod, but they are just too smart to get caught by trawlers? Surely the fishermen are missing an opportunity here and should try to find some method which WILL catch these highly valuable fish. Or could it just be that they aren't there?

Who said the seas are full of cod?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Why do you think that was Paul?

Why do you think that these boats caught so much fish?

I have fished at the head end when there has been a good fishery there.

Sometimes you would get up to a hundred plus boats going through the same sort of area every day.

You use to get massive concentrations of boats anywhere from south of the river (Humber) to north of the shimmering glass, Tyne.

The simple reason you got all these boats fishing was because there where the boats then to fish.

People talked to each other and if you got dense fishery then everybody tended to pay you a visit if there was not much more going.

so 20 boats going round head end (back in 97) am not surprised at all that they where getting what you say they where getting.

It couldn’t of lasted all that long because six years later there isn’t 10 boats trawling (for cod) in the central or southern North Sea.

There could be as good a fishery at the head end now? Who knows, there’s no one there fishing anymore. If there getting codlings at the back of the rock, what’s to say that there aren’t codlings all the way down to the Tyne? Or up to the dowsing? There’s no body trawling these areas so how do you know there’s not the fish there that there was in 97 Paul?

I always found (when trawling) that catching fish in the trawl was no real problem. Finding the fish to catch in the first place was a little bit more demanding.

Did you find any difference with what your anglers where catching in that summer Paul after this fishery of 97? Am just trying to work out if this trawling activity of say from 96 to 2000 made any difference to anglers catches in the Whitby area.

Regards.

John i dont like to go on how much fish we actually catch in case somebody wants to shoot me :lol: but the summer of 97 was quite unbelievable it was as you would say did and fill most days if you were willing to work at it it was teeming with cod all sizes but there was a lot of codling between 2-5lb range i remember one day i was working the strip of ground which is aback of snarly bank it is only narrow but the best of it seems to run for about 4 purple lanes approx 1 mile it has a very define ground edge which if you get the drift right and if drift at north of north west you can follow the ground edge all the up .

I worked that ground which did have some real little hot spots which you work just like wreck nearly the summer in 97 is was incredible at times just how heavy the fishing was , on a few occasions roger tholan would be there jigging insted of putting the nets down on the bigger tides but i do remeber one day in particular myself and roger were there on morning we got there about 7 30 am started fishing and by 9 am the boat was full the lads said they had caught enough so just for s bit of fun we stringing hokias traces of 3 into 3 sets and it was litterally 9 codlings every drop but 90% of these fish were returned alive and the lads just kept the big ones but there was fish everwhere that year it was a very big year for codlings for angling and for trawling.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge

Paul Thanks for that, so when did you start to see a marked difference in your cod fishing? In a declining way I mean?

Do you think that it coincided with the decline in commercial returns? And if so what year did you start to find a big difference.

I know that ground you’re talking about, worked pots on it in the seventy’s and trawled it in the eighties.

Have fished it with anglers with John.

I believe that there was some large amount of fish taken from that area for years after I finished commercial fishing at the end of 89.

I am just trying to pinpoint (if there is something to pinpoint) the year that things started to go wrong.

Regards.

Hello Steve

weathers been a little inclement lately.

I remember that year, it also followed a major freeze up.

Nothing in comparison here but is there any signs of the last couple of years better spawning down your end?

Hi Peter

I do not think so,been to busy oyster fishing,

regards steve

Hi Peter

I do not think so,been to busy oyster fishing,

regards steve

I supose thats in a nice sheltered bay with one foot on the boat,tother on land.

we'er still trying to work 3 hours off.

I fish to live and live to fish.