Anglers Should Be Licensed And their Catches Restricted.

glennk

Hello Big cod

Probably a result of the Winter of 95-6 .If cod had successful spawning years like 95 every year then fisheries like you describe can continue, even if is was once every other year perhaps, not once every 10 or more years though.

I could question your amounts caught, I have experience of Whitby’s pub rumours remember, but we won't get into that.

I agree you could describe it as over fishing, over fishing of that small area not the whole north sea.

Just a thought.

With expenses of over £20,000 per week those big boats are more stock friendly than small boats, once they have to leave to find better pay fishing they leave an all full amount of fish behind.

Hello wurzel,

Just to give an example my eldest son who is now in the navy was on the biggest boat out of whitby in 97 sophie through early december he said they couldnt clear the fish between each haul now that was off the head end 50- 80 kit hauls of codlings for a 2 hour tow now that is going some now those bigger boats were getting 3 + times that at times and there was 20- 30 boats going round the same area do not be mistaken just how much fish was actually caught all the skippers i talked to said in all the years they had been fishing they had never seen anything like the fishing down on the head end that winter and i can assure you it deffernetly wasnt pub talk.

As for those bigger boats stopping coming down here it left a big hole in the local fisherie.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
Going back to the winter 1997 there was one hell of run of codling between 2-5lb range it was litterally knee deep but that winter but then at least 10 90ft plus boats from peterhead started working these local grounds and it was dip and fill thousands and thousands of boxes of codlings were taken from this part of the coast that winter by these 90ft boats even they couldnt believe what was coming up in the codend this went on for 4 winters till it wasnt viable economicly to fish here as the expences often run over £20000 a week for these vessels, they were hammering the local stock which i honestly believe this part of the east coast has a local stock.

Now if you cant believe these boats did immense damage here a local bylaw was passed by NESF and put in place for boats over 60ft to fish aback of 6 mile as most of these boats were often bang on the 3 mile limit and at times inside of it this was because local fishermen new these boats were doing real damage to the local stock which these guys would try and fish all year they lobbeyed the northesetern sea fisheries to impose the bylaw now if that isnt over fishing i dont know what is.

Paul.

A good post Paul.

I was not fishing at the time but I remember plenty of lads telling me about it.

Not quite as enthusiastic about the results as your information says, but certainly on the lines of a good fishery.

You say that this fishery went on till say 2000?

Do you think that the end of this fishery sparked the downfall of the fishing (as we knew it then) industry in Whitby?

Did you find any difference to your angling results after this fishery, or let’s say after the year 2000.

Regards

The winter of 1986 saw the best ever run of codling ever seen here on the south coast, that brood year gave excellent fishing for three years.

I can remember reading that they reckoned that something in the plankton that preditated on the codling was absent that year and that was why 1986 was such a good year for codling

Maybe the reverse is happening now?

regards steve

The winter of 1986 saw the best ever run of codling ever seen here on the south coast, that brood year gave excellent fishing for three years.

I can remember reading that they reckoned that something in the plankton that preditated on the codling was absent that year and that was why 1986 was such a good year for codling

Maybe the reverse is happening now?

regards steve

Hello Steve

weathers been a little inclement lately.

I remember that year, it also followed a major freeze up.

Nothing in comparison here but is there any signs of the last couple of years better spawning down your end?

I fish to live and live to fish.

I can't remember fishing a wreck for 3hrs...no we did not and I had the big fish again.

What are you on?????????????????

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Hello Steve

weathers been a little inclement lately.

I remember that year, it also followed a major freeze up.

Nothing in comparison here but is there any signs of the last couple of years better spawning down your end?

Dont think you should get caught up in the Year class thing wurzel. Its how we look after those little fish that counts mate. Cod can live a long long time - fish from those good spawning years could still be around but unfortunately recent research shows few cod over 4 years old. The research highlighted by seaside shows there are ways to increase spawning stock despite smaller year classes.

Dont think you should get caught up in the Year class thing wurzel. Its how we look after those little fish that counts mate. Cod can live a long long time - fish from those good spawning years could still be around but unfortunately recent research shows few cod over 4 years old. The research highlighted by seaside shows there are ways to increase spawning stock despite smaller year classes.

Morning Glenn

I was just wondering how far south this batch of codlings reached.

As for that research, all it showed was that cod over 4 years old are rarely caught by trawlers, like with the herring spawn fishery, predominately 1 to 2 year old fish, the same on the off shore banks in this area, the older the cod the harder to catch that science is very flawed.

Guest challenge
Hello wurzel,

Just to give an example my eldest son who is now in the navy was on the biggest boat out of whitby in 97 sophie through early december he said they couldnt clear the fish between each haul now that was off the head end 50- 80 kit hauls of codlings for a 2 hour tow now that is going some now those bigger boats were getting 3 + times that at times and there was 20- 30 boats going round the same area do not be mistaken just how much fish was actually caught all the skippers i talked to said in all the years they had been fishing they had never seen anything like the fishing down on the head end that winter and i can assure you it deffernetly wasnt pub talk.

As for those bigger boats stopping coming down here it left a big hole in the local fisherie.

Why do you think that was Paul?

Why do you think that these boats caught so much fish?

I have fished at the head end when there has been a good fishery there.

Sometimes you would get up to a hundred plus boats going through the same sort of area every day.

You use to get massive concentrations of boats anywhere from south of the river (Humber) to north of the shimmering glass, Tyne.

The simple reason you got all these boats fishing was because there where the boats then to fish.

People talked to each other and if you got dense fishery then everybody tended to pay you a visit if there was not much more going.

so 20 boats going round head end (back in 97) am not surprised at all that they where getting what you say they where getting.

It couldn’t of lasted all that long because six years later there isn’t 10 boats trawling (for cod) in the central or southern North Sea.

There could be as good a fishery at the head end now? Who knows, there’s no one there fishing anymore. If there getting codlings at the back of the rock, what’s to say that there aren’t codlings all the way down to the Tyne? Or up to the dowsing? There’s no body trawling these areas so how do you know there’s not the fish there that there was in 97 Paul?

I always found (when trawling) that catching fish in the trawl was no real problem. Finding the fish to catch in the first place was a little bit more demanding.

Did you find any difference with what your anglers where catching in that summer Paul after this fishery of 97? Am just trying to work out if this trawling activity of say from 96 to 2000 made any difference to anglers catches in the Whitby area.

Regards.

So if you don't trust the scientists and their surveys would you then better believe anglers' anecdotal evidence? :)

What anecdotal evidence?

Who's anecdotal evidence, JB or MaidstoneMikes?