Anglers Should Be Licensed And their Catches Restricted.

glennk

Do you agree what the charter boat skippers where saying, regarding this sort of reporting is negative?

Sorry I cant really answer that without more info.

Can you elaborate please ? Which reporting ? the initial one in fishing news ? or the one in todays gazette, and who said it was negative and in what context did they say that ?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
Sorry I cant really answer that without more info.

Can you elaborate please ? Which reporting ? the initial one in fishing news ? or the one in todays gazette, and who said it was negative and in what context did they say that ?

In the context that this sort of reporting was Negative in relation to supporting government moves to restrict catches etc.

You said you where not surprised in the boatman’s response? Did you mean you where not surprised that after an article like the one posted? Or did you mean that you where not surprised that the skippers questioned where not happy that bag limits could be introduced with evidence (of catches) like the ones stated in the article?

Am not trying to rack your brains here glen, just trying to find out your opinion on angling reporting.

If they want licence anglers, fine. Give us a licence free of charge, the same as they did for the commercials. It would be discriminatory to charge us for a licence after giving commercials theirs for free. As for quotas, set them the same as those the set for the commercials. Why should a commercial bass fisherman be able to land as much bass as he likes, but anglers have a bag limit? Again, it's discrimination against anglers. In fact anglers who fish for cod should be allowed more quota than a trawler because they have no discards and are therefore fishing more sustainable.

Hello Steve

Ok you can have the licence free, just as they did the commercials, but only if you can prove you go fishing more than 4 times a year, then to protect stocks no more licences will ever be issued ever again after 2006.

I bet most UK bass fishermen don't land half the bass they would like.

I also bet the anglers fishing in and around Harwich harbour discard more codling over this weekend than the local commercial fleet has done all year.

I fish to live and live to fish.

In the context that this sort of reporting was Negative in relation to supporting government moves to restrict catches etc.

You said you where not surprised in the boatman’s response? Did you mean you where not surprised that after an article like the one posted? Or did you mean that you where not surprised that the skippers questioned where not happy that bag limits could be introduced with evidence (of catches) like the ones stated in the article?

Am not trying to rack your brains here glen, just trying to find out your opinion on angling reporting.

In the short term no in the long term maybe. There is a growing bunch of people including some anglers, and lots of commercial fishermen who want to see bag limits and licences for anglers. This gives them a little more momentum, another little piece of ammunition to support their case. The less ammunition we give this group of ill informed individuals the better - IMO.

WRT the reply from charter skippers I wasn't surprised at their thoughts on bag limits. I've spoken to some of them in the past and already knew their thoughts on this issue. The exact extract I am talking about is the one below

Local charter boat owners believe such reports could support government moves to restrict catches and impose rod licences, claiming that such record catches happen very rarely and the leisure industry has little or no effect on fish stocks.

And imposing rod licences would damage their businesses.

They claim that many of their customers who are not regular anglers but visitors to the town taking the the opportunity for an occasional fishing trip would not do so if they had to buy a licence.

And if their businesses suffer it would effect the local economy which benefits to as much as a million pounds annually from sea angling.

QUOTE WURZEL:I also bet the anglers fishing in and around Harwich harbour discard more codling over this weekend than the local commercial fleet has done all year.

Im afraid I would have to agree that locally in some areas so called anglers do discard many fish, if not dead then slowly dying. This is nothing compaired with what a large trawler discards but never the less I feel it needs attention.

I have personly witnessed many times anglers who havnt been educated in fish care ripping hooks out only to discard the fish for the gulls!

IF (AND UNDER THE CURRENT STATUS QUOE i HOPE NOT) we do get this ruddy lisence put on us I think angling schools should be set up. Aparently carp fishing gcse is already hear!

THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM THE FUZZY WUZZIES, THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM!

and lots of commercial fishermen who want to see bag limits and licences for anglers.

Not sure the commercials used to give that much thought about anglers at all, and still don't believe that many would like to curse anglers with the same stuff thay were hit with. OTOH seen more angling/commercial aggro stuff in FN this last year than i have in a couple of decades...

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

and lots of commercial fishermen who want to see bag limits and licences for anglers. This gives them a little more momentum, another little piece of ammunition to support their case. The less ammunition we give this group of ill informed individuals the better - IMO.

Bit of the, Kettle calling the pot black, I think Glenn.

I don't think commercial fishermen give a dam about anglers having licences or bag limits.

commercial comments are usually in retaliation to some RSA suggestion or actuation.

But the managers at DEFRA, thats a different story.

I fish to live and live to fish.

QUOTE WURZEL:I also bet the anglers fishing in and around Harwich harbour discard more codling over this weekend than the local commercial fleet has done all year.

Im afraid I would have to agree that locally in some areas so called anglers do discard many fish, if not dead then slowly dying. This is nothing compaired with what a large trawler discards but never the less I feel it needs attention.

I have personly witnessed many times anglers who havnt been educated in fish care ripping hooks out only to discard the fish for the gulls!

IF (AND UNDER THE CURRENT STATUS QUOE i HOPE NOT) we do get this ruddy lisence put on us I think angling schools should be set up. Aparently carp fishing gcse is already hear!

Angling schools and licenses ?!

Sure you arent already shacked up with 7 of 9 ? :D

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net