Anglers Should Be Licensed And their Catches Restricted.

glennk

When the commercial fishing licence was introduced I tried to convince my fellow commercial fishermen to send all our licences back to Brussels and tell the EU in which small room to hang them. Unfortunately, our commercial fishing representatives convinced them all otherwise. Along with the CFP, licences were the beginning of the end for commercial fishing in the UK. Don’t let our government destroy RSA using the same well-proven tactics.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you real - this is one way of shutting down RSA's forever

I don't believe a licence is necessary, based on what realistically we can expect to catch in any one year, however, if licences/permits were mandatory, on exit from the sport, they should go back to a pool that can reissue or if the angler wanted, to hand on father to son - so to speak. There ought not to be the opportunity to buy one to sell at a profit. Coarse angling permits aren't done in the same way - goose and gander !!

Course it's not real - just JB expanding on "if you believe what's good for the goose ....".

Say for arguments sake the government was to announce such a scheme, the first thing that would happen is every angler who believes such twaddle is going to apply for one for each member of the family, including all the cats, dogs, pigeons and so on because if you think about, who's going to check all the millions of applications.

Makes you laugh, loads of talk on here about jobsworths,need-to-manages, control freaks, bureaucrats etc - imagine how many such a scheme would introduce -- would probably get a Queens Award for Industry !!

Oh and of course there'd be so many licences, they'd be worth just slightly less than a secondhand penny chew. Given the state of stocks, especially from the shore, a good reflection of their true value.

And why is everyone so disgusted with selling fish????? Whats the problem? Hookey deals are happening all over the country (cigs / beer / clothes / dvds / computer games ...........)

But if licenses are introduced , in my personal opinion ; the charter boat business around this island WILL suffer

I think comparing the unlicensed selling of fish to illegal acts just about speaks for itself, whether it's a commercial fisherman like Locker or any RSA that's doing it. It undermines either sectors credibility.

Locally there is no doubt that if licences and quotas are introduce it will impact chartering, the FN article wasn't exactly well received and I believe it's going to be raised with Mr Finnie who's going to be asked to clarify SEERADs stance regarding this issue.

Mr Lockers' attitude though does highlight a dichotomy, there are several who say that if RSA only listened to the commercial guys then all would be well, but following the 'bigging up' on here a 'commercial fisherman' passes it on to the press, a story (denied by FN) is put around that it was by an RSA representative, then Mr Locker throws his toys out as a result of the articlem, but another commercial skipper says it's no big deal.

Difficult to know which are the ones you can really work with ?

Perhaps we should follow his lead and ignore the quota system he wants us to be part of just like he did himself.

http://www.itvregions.com/Tyne_Tees/News/A...of+the+year.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../02/nfish02.xml

Edited by glennk

Course it's not real - just JB expanding on "if you believe what's good for the goose ....".

Say for arguments sake the government was to announce such a scheme, the first thing that would happen is every angler who believes such twaddle is going to apply for one for each member of the family, including all the cats, dogs, pigeons and so on because if you think about, who's going to check all the millions of applications.

Makes you laugh, loads of talk on here about jobsworths,need-to-manages, control freaks, bureaucrats etc - imagine how many such a scheme would introduce -- would probably get a Queens Award for Industry !!

Oh and of course there'd be so many licences, they'd be worth just slightly less than a secondhand penny chew. Given the state of stocks, especially from the shore, a good reflection of their true value.

Hopefully, as far as our government is concerned, we are not as naive as we once were, and we will have the good sense to fiercely object to licences for anglers. The way licensing happened to commercial fisherman was that they did not apply for licences - licences were forced onto every registered fishing vessel, up until a certain date. Thereafter, no more licences were issued.

All this arguing and name-calling between RSA and commercial fishermen is already counter-productive. I believe that if it keeps up, it will make things considerably worse for everyone, other than the need-to-manage brigade.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Or maybe the badly managed brigade

i.e. the eu :yucky:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Not just the eu baz, i was referring to the whole political brown nosed brigade

Sorry i forgot about tony blurb and bradshaw, wait till gorden brown get's his hook's in brigade

:rolleyes:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

All this arguing and name-calling between RSA and commercial fishermen is already counter-productive. I believe that if it keeps up, it will make things considerably worse for everyone, other than the need-to-manage brigade.

JB

Quite true JB, but it all revolved around local people, so if it can't be achieved within a small coastal town, what chance on the broader scale ? Is it just a Whitby thing, or does it reflect a wider problem ?

I must admit I'm not too optimistic regarding rational discussion between RSA and commercial sectors, given that there is also plenty of arguing, name calling and insult trading between anglers on this forum, and plenty of disagreement between commercial sectors in the real world.

How do you think the debate can actually be moved forward, what process would help improve understanding and cut out all the negative stuff ?