Squid

Guest long-trotter

Guest long-trotter

Had to attend the annual launch of the drink driving campaign at force headquarters in Middlemoor Exeter.

I have got a heavy cold, so I decided to give the canteen a miss at lunchtime; I decided to go for a sandwich by the Exeter Canal. Near by where I parked, a lad was piking. I could see a float and another rod on a rest obviously ledgering, I was just about to munch in to my lettuce and ham sub, when the lad hit in to a fish. I thought must go and be nosey, I arrived just in time to see him slip the net under a nice double figure pike, the thing that caught my eye was a 6 inch squid hanging from the fishes mouth. The fish was returned speedily and rod rebaited after I had took a pic for him. The guy went on to tell me squid was killer bait, as very few people use it. Low and behold 10mins after the rod was re-cast he had another run, what surprised me most was the aggressive nature of the take, the lad said that’s another characteristic of squid as bait, aggressive takes. As he slipped the net under another double he asked if I would take his pic, after the fish was returned he showed me his rig, he had popped the squid up to waft in the undercurrent, he said he could not wait to tell his mates he had a copper ghillieing for him :lol: I left him to it and went back to work.

On the way home I nipped into Tesco and bought a dozen bait sized squid, Only to find whilst I was showering the wife had found them in the fridge and decided to nick 3 for a squid paella, I knew I should have put them in the freezer.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to attend the annual launch of the drink driving campaign at force headquarters in Middlemoor Exeter.

I have got a heavy cold, so I decided to give the canteen a miss at lunchtime; I decided to go for a sandwich by the Exeter Canal. Near by where I parked, a lad was piking. I could see a float and another rod on a rest obviously ledgering, I was just about to munch in to my lettuce and ham sub, when the lad hit in to a fish. I thought must go and be nosey, I arrived just in time to see him slip the net under a nice double figure pike, the thing that caught my eye was a 6 inch squid hanging from the fishes mouth. The fish was returned speedily and rod rebaited after I had took a pic for him. The guy went on to tell me squid was killer bait, as very few people use it. Low and behold 10mins after the rod was re-cast he had another run, what surprised me most was the aggressive nature of the take, the lad said that’s another characteristic of squid as bait, aggressive takes. As he slipped the net under another double he asked if I would take his pic, after the fish was returned he showed me his rig, he had popped the squid up to waft in the undercurrent, he said he could not wait to tell his mates he had a copper ghillieing for him :lol: I left him to it and went back to work.

On the way home I nipped into Tesco and bought a dozen bait sized squid, Only to find whilst I was showering the wife had found them in the fridge and decided to nick 3 for a squid paella, I knew I should have put them in the freezer.

Hi long-trotter,

I know that i don't profess to be a puddle basher (lakes and rivers) but during the winter period, sometimes we bait up with six to eight squid at any one time and wait for a big cod to hit it. Some times we are lucky. not so last winter however, but this year we are giving it a go. In fairness i haven't yet tried cooking them but i will. If you hold them up to your nose you will find that they smell very fishy in deed, that is why i think they are good bait.

cheers barry

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Interesting as Ive used Squid quite a bit for Cats.Only pike Ive ever had on it have been when retrieved.Never used them poped up on a water with pike in though.

Anyone wanting to give it a go might like to try it the way I do for cats-

Remove the skeleton (plastic like bit) stuff the body cavity with mashed up pilchard/sardine etc "sew" body up.Normally there is enough air trapped in to pop it up without puting any foam/balsa inside.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Very interesting! Im just pondering whether the agresive takes are due to the nature of the bait. Squid is fairly soft in a strange rubbery way as are all mollusks, this could mean the fish feels the hooks quicker inducing a agresive head shaking take. Just a thought.

THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM THE FUZZY WUZZIES, THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM!

Guest long-trotter
hi longtrotter, where was the kid fishing? was it by swingbridge? cheers dave :)

Aye!!!! Aye!!!! Captain !!! Dave by the water/sewage works at the end of the swingbridge road which runs parallel to the River and canal mate, walk down the narrow towpath about 20-25yrds to a overhanging tree with a large concrete cube next to it, pongs down there a bit due to the methane exhausts :yucky:

Edited by long-trotter

Interesting as Ive used Squid quite a bit for Cats.Only pike Ive ever had on it have been when retrieved.Never used them poped up on a water with pike in though.

Anyone wanting to give it a go might like to try it the way I do for cats-

Remove the skeleton (plastic like bit) stuff the body cavity with mashed up pilchard/sardine etc "sew" body up.Normally there is enough air trapped in to pop it up without puting any foam/balsa inside.

Does it really works or is it a fluke? Never heard anythink like it!

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/