Squid

Guest long-trotter

Guest long-trotter

Andrew, Must admit I was suprised myself. If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would have thought it was a wind up. I suppose people thought the same about lamprey and even sea baits years ago

Budgie your method sounds good, the lad was inserting one of those fox bait poppers into the cavity to pop it up.

I was wondering about sink and drawing with them at close range. My fishing time is very limited so I tend to stick with what I know works, this looks worth trying, I will give it a go both static and moving. Russell's trotting idea sounds good too.

Edited by long-trotter

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very unsuccessful bait for me in the past. I've lost confidence in it now and haven't used it in a long while.

Paul

Aye!!!! Aye!!!! Captain !!! Dave by the water/sewage works at the end of the swingbridge road which runs parallel to the River and canal mate, walk down the narrow towpath about 20-25yrds to a overhanging tree with a large concrete cube next to it, pongs down there a bit due to the methane exhausts :yucky:

hi longtrotter, i have dived the canal many times when i was a commercial, that stretch has got some nice pike in it, also on the same bank, just around the corner at lime kilns.

not all of them were close in by the reeds, where you would expect, there are some good weedbeds about 10metres out that had some bigguns.(do you know clive spalding by the way?)

cheers dave :)

i think any rig used to add movement to teh bait will work,maybe thats the key to getting takes on it,use it in a flow,use it sink and draw style, etc

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

I was always under the impression that catfish anglers used squid as bait because the Pike dislike it whilst the cats find it quite palatable.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I wouldn't have much confidence fishing squid for pike, but is does make you wonder. Will pike take any shape/colour bait that smells of fish? What next, fishmeal boiles? I could see it happening, big boiles hair rigged on a wire trace.

Personally, I love eating squid and octopus, mmm :)

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

I was always under the impression that catfish anglers used squid as bait because the Pike dislike it whilst the cats find it quite palatable.

In general mate.Like I said Ive only had it taken on the retrieve but I have heard cat anglers on some waters say theyve had trouble with pike on it. I dont think I would ever choose it as a pike bait as there are certainly plenty of better ones!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I don't think a squid can look any stranger to a pike than some of the dyed fish baits we use! Come to think of it I don't suppose they see many lamphreys, smelt and mackerel tails swimming down the canal either. I don't even want to imagine what they think spinnerbaits are!

Guest long-trotter
hi longtrotter, i have dived the canal many times when i was a commercial, that stretch has got some nice pike in it, also on the same bank, just around the corner at lime kilns.

not all of them were close in by the reeds, where you would expect, there are some good weedbeds about 10metres out that had some bigguns.(do you know clive spalding by the way?)

cheers dave

Hi Dave, Yes I know old Spalders, :) how do you know him?

Edited by long-trotter