braid for lure fishing, which type?

dom16

Whiplash is one of the lowest diameter to breaking strain braids on the market.Ive often wondered if this is why so many people have problems with it?

Its quite often on Ebay at £12 and lower if you like it Zedhead.

Ive used most of the "superlines" and to be quite honest there isnt much to choose between them.I dont like "fused lines" and find in general "round profile" ones the best.

Some last longer than others as well.The worst Ive ever had was Fox Feeder braid.Great for one whole years bait snatching on the Ebro then it just seemed to lose all its strength.As with many other anglers my main critisism of Whiplash is its tendancey to break suddenly for no apparent reason.I pu this down as said to its ultra low diameter and therefore poor abrassion resistance.

I agree though that like most things there will always be an element of personal preference with braids. That said same as a lot of other tackle it all depends on what you have used and therefore are comparing with.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Power Pro seems to be the bench mark for a lot of uk lure anglers and with good reason; it's consistently reliable unlike some brands which have a reputation for snapping.

I'd suggest basing your choice of diameter / strength on the weight of lures you'll be using, as braid is prone to snapping on the cast, if it's too light for the lures being used.

I doubt you'll be chucking ultralights on a multiplier set up, so I'd suggest 50 or 65lb braid for lures up to 2oz / 60 grams (or thereabouts) and 80 or 100lb braid for the big stuff.

What sort of diameter is 50-60lb braid in terms of mono?

Also, I got the multiplier second hand, very good condition, except from a nick on the inside of the spool. If i used braid would it catch on the nick?

Edited by dom16

They vary slightly from brand to brand but for example Spiderwire in 50lb breaking strain is claimed to have the same diameter as 12lb mono. Also as a guide most monos are around 0.32mm for 12lb and 0.35mm for 15lb.

Can you post a picture of the damage on the reel or give more details of model etc?

The reel is a pro bass mega tournament baitcasting reel. on the side it also says MT 1000 H if that means anything. There is just a small scratch on the side of the spool which feels rough to the touch but i cant see any 'spiky bits' (cant think of another word.).

Unfortunately i cant post a picture as ive lost my digi cam.

Dom.

why use braid? cant see the point in it myself cost like £6 for a lil spool, mite aswell just buy a trace or thicker line? :S ... i use a wire trace and always catch pike... pb is 17'3 lbs... from river mersery but im always getting runs with my friends but they never have there reels set right so it just snaps them strait away lmao and i tell them how to have it and everything they just mess wif it! anywayz is any1 from warrington on here??

why use braid? cant see the point in it myself cost like £6 for a lil spool, mite aswell just buy a trace or thicker line? :S ... i use a wire trace and always catch pike... pb is 17'3 lbs... from river mersery but im always getting runs with my friends but they never have there reels set right so it just snaps them strait away lmao and i tell them how to have it and everything they just mess wif it! anywayz is any1 from warrington on here??

You are joking aren't you?

Power Pro seems to be the bench mark for a lot of uk lure anglers and with good reason; it's consistently reliable unlike some brands which have a reputation for snapping.

I'd suggest basing your choice of diameter / strength on the weight of lures you'll be using, as braid is prone to snapping on the cast, if it's too light for the lures being used.

I doubt you'll be chucking ultralights on a multiplier set up, so I'd suggest 50 or 65lb braid for lures up to 2oz / 60 grams (or thereabouts) and 80 or 100lb braid for the big stuff.

I'm in the market for some new braid as i've been having no end of trouble using sufix herculine. Think i'll try the Power Pro and see how I get on.

James P

Edited by James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

You are joking aren't you?

I'm in the market for some new braid as i've been having no end of trouble using sufix herculine. James P

Ive heard this before about Herculine.Ive only ever had one spool of it (got it free of a rep) I cant remember the size/breaking strain but should imagine its between 30-50lb.Ive got it on my second drift float rod.Only gets used around a dozen times each season but its been on for over 6 years now and had no problems with it.

What size and what have you been using it for James and what problems?

I was recommended Power Pro off Argyll (Gerry) and have found it to be very reliable. Thank's for the advice Gerry :thumbs: . I use 8lb for Perch and 20lb for Pike. I like the fact that it's low diameter the 8 lb being the same as 1 lb mono and it's moss green colour resembles plant life.

the point in braid topps:

Braid is stronger than mono and has no memory ( No stretching ) just stickin a wire trace on your line wont make a single bit of difference to the line that its attached to.

pike just dont bite they also give you one hell of a fight my friend and your trace and line should both be took in to consideration if one goes you know what will happen.

as for the price of braid. you pay about £15+ for atleast 150 yards of decent 50lb stuff and will more than likely last you longer than mono, in the long run it will work out cheaper.

saying this 15lb breaking strain mono would do for pike providing you set your drag accordingly but braid of 50lb is far more superior, i just hope you have 15lb+ line if not id advise you to pester your dad to buy some 50lb braid.

just out of interest topps, what line do you currently have on your spool ? another thing you might want to watch out for is your actual wire trace, is that strong enough ? what is the breaking strain ?

good luck topps i hope you pickup a lot of useful information on this site and use it and by the time your 20 (5 years time from now) you will be better than some of these old farts :P

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk