braid for lure fishing, which type?

dom16

I was recommended Power Pro off Argyll (Gerry) and have found it to be very reliable. Thank's for the advice Gerry :thumbs: . I use 8lb for Perch and 20lb for Pike. I like the fact that it's low diameter the 8 lb being the same as 1 lb mono and it's moss green colour resembles plant life.

Tigger, 20lb braid is a bit light for general pike fishing. It's ok for ultralight lures and might have a place when boat fishing with jigs, but I wouldn't recommend it for dead baiting, live baiting or lures over an ounce.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive heard this before about Herculine.Ive only ever had one spool of it (got it free of a rep) I cant remember the size/breaking strain but should imagine its between 30-50lb.Ive got it on my second drift float rod.Only gets used around a dozen times each season but its been on for over 6 years now and had no problems with it.

What size and what have you been using it for James and what problems?

Budgie

I've been using 30lb for medium (Micro Rooters and Big S type stuff) lure fishing with a 4000 size fixed spool reel, and 20lb for my 6' Fox Ultralight jig rod, with a fixed spool reel in a 1000 size - both well balanced setups.

The line seems to be very succeptable to wind knots and i've usually got to unpick a couple of knots a session. On a blustery day last week I spent more time unpicking than fishing!!! :wallbash:

I don't really want to go any higher on the poundage unless it's a multiplier and jerkbait rod, but i've used other braids of the same b.s. trying out a friends rod the other day and didn't have problems. It was 30lb but he couldn't remember the brand!!

I've thought about increasing the b.s. to 50lb but that means sacrificing some casting distance and buying another spool of braid. Seeing as i'm having a frustrating time with herculine i'd rather not spend 25 quid to find out if i'm going to have the same problems - I'd rather get something that works well.

Regards

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

Yes it is supple isnt it.That Im sure would be the major factor contributing to wind knots.Not casting with it when drifting could be why I havnt had the problem as could be the difference in diameter.As you say though daft to risk buying a heavier spool just in case.Plenty of other braids to choose from in that size that have a good track record.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Tigger, 20lb braid is a bit light for general pike fishing. It's ok for ultralight lures and might have a place when boat fishing with jigs, but I wouldn't recommend it for dead baiting, live baiting or lures over an ounce.

I've never had any probs with it and always found it to be more than adequate. I would consider going up to 30 lbs but any heavier than that seems OTT.

Obviously if that's your preference that's fine by me :)

I forgot to mention I used to use 25lb Fox Graviton and found that to be spot on.

Edited by tigger

I've never had any probs with it and always found it to be more than adequate. I would consider going up to 30 lbs but any heavier than that seems OTT.

Obviously if that's your preference that's fine by me :)

I forgot to mention I used to use 25lb Fox Graviton and found that to be spot on.

personally i have been using power pro for my jerkbait kit, and never had a problem with that at all, in either fresh or saltwater, on my abu 6501 c4 i have 65lb bs

for smaller lures, jigs etc, i use the wychwood lure braid. this is pretty cheap at about a tenner a spool, though there is only 100 yards on the spool, but thats mmore than enough for light lures. That is 30lb bs

for drifter fishing or free rovers i bought some spiderwire off ebay when it was being sold cheap recently, in 35lb bs and on first few uses this seems fine too.

for standrd bait fishing, i far prefer mono to braid.

and i completely agree with budgie, whiplash is the biggest pile of poo out there, damn stuff snaps at the slightest excuse.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk