Looking Forward

Sportsman

Off on my first session of the year tomorrow, 48 hours on a friends lake. It is not a commercial lake that is stuffed with monsters it is just a lake that contains some carp.

It had some nice fish in it when he bought the property 8 years ago and he has added a few large fish. He is a keen angler himself so the lake has only been fished by himself and friends. It is the first time I have fished it and my mate and I will have it to ourselves.

I am told fish based boilies work so I have rolled a few kilos of monster crab and squid and liver. I also feel that a particle approach might work so I have a large bucket of Hemp and Pigeon mix boiled up. At least one rod will have maize or possibly plastic corn fished over that.

I have been busy tying up an assortment of rigs and sorting out my old bivvy and sleeping bag. I could really do with replacing them, they are like me, worn out, but I don't know how many more times I can expect to use them. I had an appointment at the pain clinic a couple of weeks ago and it is getting the pain under control that is allowing me to go now. (They tell me I have fibromyalgia as well as my long term back problems and the neuropathy from the diabetes)

I am really enjoying the preparations and feeling of anticipation, something I don't get from fishing my own lake. This one has bigger fish in it than mine, a very good chance of 30+ and at least two 40s.

Who knows, I might even weigh one if it is exceptionally big and photos are not completely out of the question.

Report to follow.

• Like 1

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Not the best day I have had.

Started fishing at 4 pm. It started raining at 4.01 pm

Continued to rain

Got dark

Went to bed, couldn't sleep.

Got up when it was light, still raining.

Noticed my left hand rod, which had been cast out about 45' left had line pointing at 90' right.

Checked the bite alarm, which had stopped working. Seems I had had a pick up which had long gone

Mate caught a 26 Lb mirror at around 9 am

Although booked on for two nights I had to pack up at around 2 pm due to pain

Staggered home.

I am now almost completely incapacitated. I really fear that this could be my last attempt at session fishing.

that is a shame mate, there are lots of good bedchairs about that might be better for your back, they don't come cheap mind. I am no spring chicken myself and comfort on the bank is important to me as I want to extend my ability to carp fish into my latter years. hope your health does not curtail your fishing too much. tight lines and take care.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your health and bad weather is always going to be a pain. Hopefully it will not be the end of your session fishing, as Peter suggested it may be worth taking a look at a new bed chair and restricting yourself to single nights during the warmer months if your health picks up.

i think it says a lot about the amount of traffic this section gets that I have only just seen the post. Threads in the session carp fishing forum are getting as rare as 3 lb Roach.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

By coincidence I just got back from a 48 hrs session on the same lake. Went a bit better this time (stronger tablets)

Started fishing Friday afternoon in glorious sunshine. Not much happening so turned in early.

Bite alarm frightened me to death at 3AM and found myself attached to a monster. Slowly gaining on it when it veered into the near bank and I suddenly had that horrible grating sensation the told me I was hung up on something.

Walked back up the bank and found the fish was fast on a trailing branch of a tree overhanging the water. Luckily my mate Denis, at great risk to life and limb, managed to get his net underneath it and so we landed it between us. 30lb on the nose.

That was it for the night.

I had a smaller fish, about 12 lb around 11 AM.

Denis had a 26LB at 2pm and followed it with another 30 at 4.30 PM

Just after this I was having a cup of tea with Den when I heard one of my alarms sound a short scream, followed by a crash and silence. Ran to it and found my pod and two rods in the water. Managed to grab them and there was a fish on at that point but somewhere during the untangling and sorting it got off.

Nothing more in daylight and back to bed at a decent time. The owner came down with copious quantities of homebrew but I managed to persuade him that my medication didn't allow me to drink it. I've never tasted a home brew that I liked.

At 02.30 I had a blazing run, by the time I got to my rod the line was melting off the baitrunner. Picked up the rod and felt for the fish and....nothing. How the hell do you get a run like that without a fish on? Beats me.

To rub salt in the wound Den then caught a 31lb beautiful common.

No further score and now home none the worse for wear, and very pleased with myself.

3 30s a 26 and two abortive runs is not too bad for a couple of old blokes, and all on my home made boilies.

Hope to repeat the trip soon but this time I want a 40. There are five known 40s in there.

Thanks Peter.

Yes, it was a better day.

As the Dr says, keep taking the tablets. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Good to hear you had a couple.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek