External hard drive problem.

Guest Ferret1959

Just says file corrputed and unreadable?

I hope that you have a backup copy of whatever was on it then. You can format it and see if it will work again, but methinks that any data is gone. :(

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave DO NOT FORMAT it if there was data on it you want.

There is a damm good program called 'Stellar phoenix fat&ntfs'

and it can be found 'for nowt' if you search about;)

This program does recover data off formated drives & ones with bad FAT's

So unless it's totaly fcuked it should get something off for you.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Guest Ferret1959
Dave DO NOT FORMAT it if there was data on it you want.

There is a damm good program called 'Stellar phoenix fat&ntfs'

and it can be found 'for nowt' if you search about;)

This program does recover data off formated drives & ones with bad FAT's

So unless it's totaly fcuked it should get something off for you.

I have scanned the drive with 'Bibarybiz' Virtual lab and all my stuff is still there but...

The software is free from B/Biz but you have to pay for recovery.

I'll have a look at Stellar.

Thanks for your help guys.

I really need to get stuff on the drive, mostly photos that can never be taken again, like poor deceased pets and stuff.:(

Tog's i right Dave, formatting is definitely the last thing to do.

I have had a quuick google for "data recovery software free" without the quotes and found a whole rake of stuff that may or may not help. The problem is that if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing, you could make things worse.

I have had a quick look and this looks like it may do the trick.

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

It is free, and German developers write good software in my experience.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS.exe 672kb 5/5/2004

is the file you want Dave - you know where to look;)

just run the exe and select the drive and then scan it - lost file recovery is very good - nb it will find loads of stuff you thought was long gone!

(NB if you've run the demo from Stellar remove it before running the other version).

Also - get a new big USB drive and plug that in as well before running the recovery program.

Once you've scanned the duff drive copy everything to the new big drive and you should be able to view the files normally in Windows Explorer from the big drive.

Once you are happy that you've got all the Data off the old USB drive you can reformat it, NB make sure you are looking at the right drive!!!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS.exe 672kb 5/5/2004 is the file you want Dave - you know where to look;)

http://www.stellarinfo.com/

But it is not free.

My hard drive has stopped working, well my laptop can't open it.

Was working fine??

Just getting the corrupt file message now.

Looked at properties and it's saying RAW, I'm sure it was NTFS before?

Any clues please?

Cheers.

have you tried it in another usb port, or even flashed the frimware of the drive from the drives website ?

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

have you tried it in another usb port, or even flashed the frimware of the drive from the drives website ?

Don't go trying to flash the firmware on a drive that you are trying to recover data from. That is a recipe for total disaster.

Guest Ferret1959

Right downloaded Stella last night (free to try, but almost twists yer arm to buy version). :)

Set it to recover/search my drive and great stuff it's found the lot, as far as I can see.

Went to recover the lost data and this is where the arm twisting comes in............You have to buy the 'link/code' for the prog to work fully.

I don't mind paying as the data is priceless to me and the photos can never be replaced.

Might just bite the bullet and shell out the $99 but in reality as the dollar is just about 2 for 1 these days I spose it's got to be worth it.

The nice thing is the software and use of lasts a life time. :D

Edited by Ferret1959

Right downloaded Stella last night (free to try, but almost twists yer arm to buy version). :)

Set it to recover/search my drive and great stuff it's found the lot, as far as I can see.

Went to recover the lost data and this is where the arm twisting comes in............You have to buy the 'link/code' for the prog to work fully.

I don't mind paying as the data is priceless to me and the photos can never be replaced.

Might just bite the bullet and shell out the $99 but in reality as the dollar is just about 2 for 1 these days I spose it's got to be worth it.

The nice thing is the software and use of lasts a life time. :D

why not divide the price with any of your mates that might want to use the program as well, im sure a small fee for recovering there data would be in order.

can i hace a copy :schmoll:<_<;)

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image