Scad

Matty_B

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scad make good live bait for bass Matty, but they have to be 15cm or over mate.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Scad are edible enough, my mate ate one recently (yes, after he had cooked it). He recommended skinning them to remove the bony plates down by the tail. Got one in the freezer which I'll probably cook up sometime. I'd never caught one before but in my first year returning to angling I've caught loads off the beach and returned them.

Incidently, I tasted Pollock recently for the first time which was quite nice. The flesh turns into juicy flakes, much like Cod.

Useless information, Scad or Horse Mackerel, Trachurus trachurus is the only member of the Jack and Trevally Family we regularly get in UK waters. Its Finnish name is Piikkimakrilli.

[ 15. September 2005, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

my mate caught a scad at oban recently which is quite unusual,

he wondered if it could be used for bait, so i rammed a 12/0 through its head and he caught a 98lb skate on it :D

where can i catch some more :confused: :D

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

The Scad seem to be making a comeback, They had some sort of parasite a few years back. I think someone at Newcastle Uni was doing a bit of research on this. Never heard their results though.

Neil.

[ 15. September 2005, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Neil ]

Norrie:

Les, I will do my best for you, and put some in the cool box.....

norrie,

you better put them in the freezer, because by the time i get them they could be a bit whiffy :D

i had one in ireland a few years ago and cut it up for bait, it had very bloody and dark flesh, caught hee haw on it though :rolleyes:

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif