No More Trebles

Leon Roskilly

I have been using circle hooks for 1 1/2 seasons now and can say without a doubt my hook up rate has increased.

I fish for Pike, Zander and perch with circle hooks.

It takes about 2-3 sessions to get used to the hook up, (no striking) but once you have it its great.

In the two seasons I have had no deep hooked fish and no fish released with a hook still in them, it has reduced the time the fish are on the bank and makes fishing a whole lot let stressful.

I will never use a treble hook ever again

I was inspired by a thread on this forum, I then went a brought all the bits and dabs and made up my own traces. I would like to thank who ever it was that wrote the thread (sorry can’t remember) and I hope this new thread inspires all those who read it to give it a try (try it more than once) as I am sure you will convert.

PS I find Circle hooks to have really improved my Zander fishing, the Zander are far less likely to drop the bait.

PPS for those that doubt they dont work for large deads, I had two weeks ago a 22lb Pike on a whole herring, lip hooked on a circle hook, this is the bigest pike I have caught on cirles (its my PB) But i have caught a lot of pike in the mid to upper teens also.

Edited by bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you think they will work when wobbling dead baits? Do you have to wait until the fish moves off with the bait? i like to work a dead bait like a using a lure and wondered if circle hooks would work in these circumstances.

Certainly do, just don't strike. Rig your bait so the circle hook hangs free.

I still haven't tried circles - I'll give them a go this winter. I'm not sure about using them with large deadbaits, but if I'm using small deads I'll try circles and report back. I've never really had any problems with trebles though. I think I'm going to have a livebait-free winter this year, if it goes well I don't think I'll be using them again.

I wouldn't use circles for perch because I only ever use worm as bait (BTW I enjoyed rereading your perch haul from last seaon Rich! Let's hope they're back this year!).

Am I right in thinking that circles are best used with livebaits and small deads?

I'd say you can use them with any bait. I'll be using them for those tricky stream perch when using worms. The main benefit for perch in my opinion is that it removes almost any chance of deep hooking which is a constant worry when perching!

Rich

P.s. The perch will be back we just need some good weather!

I'm not sure if this is a 4/0 or 6/0 but this is not nearly the largest one available. 8/0 is quite a bit larger and 10/0 is huge so regardless of the size live or dead bait you want to use, there is a hook that will easily handle it with plenty left over to hook your fish.

For comparison, my hands are not small - a size 10 glove.

hook2.jpg

hook4.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Could someone please give me some info on how to tie up traces for zander?

- hook size

- barbed or barbless

- one or two of them (one I presume?)

- how to hook the bait

- what size of bait for the hooks

- what to do when you get a run (leave it longer than when using trebles? Just keep winding? Rod pointing at or away from fish?)

I'll give them a go at the zander fish-in :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

- what to do when you get a run (leave it longer than when using trebles? Just keep winding? Rod pointing at or away from fish?)

- leave it longer than when using trebles?

No need to wait any longer than you think is needed to have the fish get the section of bait containing the hook into its mouth. With the way I rig them (hooked in lip, head, or upper back but with a dead, lip is probably best) I start winding when I feel the bite.

- just keep winding

That's about it. Initially wind at a steady (not fast but not too slow) speed to give the point a chance to catch on the lip.

- Rod pointing at or away from fish

Wherever it is pointed when you get the bite.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Could someone please give me some info on how to tie up traces for zander?

- hook size

6/0

- barbed or barbless

barbed. (but I crush them down to make lip hooking the live bait easier)

- one or two of them (one I presume?)

One

- how to hook the bait

Lip hook

- what size of bait for the hooks

for Zander I find a 4-6 inch bleak perfect

I wait till the fish takes up the slack line and just wind down It does not seem to matter were the rod points I tend to start lifting the rod as soon as I feel the fish but not in a fast motion.

I'll give them a go at the zander fish-in :)

You wont be dissapointed.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Well despite having played with circles for several seasons now Im afraid my jury is still out on using them for pike.I havnt found any problems (harm /damage wise) with them unlike big normal singles which I feel should be banned for pike (by big I mean anything much bigger than a size 1).

Are they more effective/just as effective at hooking as trebles? well it seems to be down to the bait and rig to be honest.

I cant see myself ever changing over full stop but Im still in two minds about wether they would be better for beginers/unexperienced pikers. In two minds because I still think trebles are best BUT only if used properly.Circles are certainly less likely to cause damage in the hands of the beginer/unexperienced but you still have to be able to handle a pike correctly no matter what the hook pattern and I feel its this inability which is the real problem.

I do wince a bit every time this subject comes up though.Reason being is that most people look towards hook paterns other than trebles simply because they have problems unhooking fish caught on trebles.I would rather see them learn how to use the (IMO) correct equipment rather than just look for an "easy" answer. My main worry though is that many dont understand the fundemental difference between using a 6/0 circle and a 6/0 standard single.The big difference (fish welfare wise) is the depth of penetration of both types of hook.No problems with a circle pattern but a stand patten single of this size can be a killer.

As for Perch allthough the results have been a lot more promising Im still not 100% decided either.Hope to finally decide on this one over the next couple of seasons though.

Eels well despite the hundreds Ive caught this year Ive still not got round to actually tageting them on purpose so cant comment.

Carp and Cats they work great for but I see no reason to change as Ive never really experienced problems with either of these species with standard hooks.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!