No More Trebles

Leon Roskilly

Slightly of subject but even though deep hooking is extremely rare with lures.Lure fishing can be very damaging to pike (certainly more so than a cleanly hooked/unhooked one on bait).Manly due to the larger sizes of hooks generaly used and believe it or not a problem with broken teeth! I must admit to not having seen to much of the tooth damage but have seen lots of damage from the big hooks.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of both worlds then - remove the trebles and substitute circles which do well on lures. You could even crush the barb since the hook shape makes losing a hooked fish very rare.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Now Ive not tried them on lures but I know Gerry did and he was quite happy with them on spoons any way.

Yes I will definately swop over a few lures tommorow and give them a go.

Edited by BUDGIE

Now Ive not tried them on lures but I know Gerry did and he was quite happy with them on spoons any way.

Yes I will definately swop over a few lures tommorow and give them a go.

Spoons is good because they lie flat in a pike's mouth, but a plug that is anything bigger than a Big S tends, I think, to hold the pikes jaws apart and hook-ups are less likely.

Richard gave me some circles at the weekend. When I do some piking or zander fishing I will use them and report back. I have to say that Leon's, Bluerinse's and Richard's experiences (pike, zander, and perch, in that order) are very encouraging.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Spoons is good because they lie flat in a pike's mouth, but a plug that is anything bigger than a Big S tends, I think, to hold the pikes jaws apart and hook-ups are less likely.

Yes those are my initial veiws Peter.

Tried again today.

The pike didn't seem to want to play :(

After a couple of hours fishing static baits, I started trotting a float-fished sprat down-river, twitching it as it went, then retrieving it by gaining some line against the current, and pausing before gaining a few feet more.

It worked :)

The only take of the day was an 18.5 pounder that must have sucked the sprat straight to the back of the throat, because that's where the circle hook engaged (no delayed tightening of the line).

No problem at all to remove the hook with (very) long-nosed pliers (I'm getting quite adept at rolling the barbless circles out of the entry point. Dead easy with forceps or pliers once you have the knack).

Has anybody else given circles a try for pike yet?

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust