No More Trebles

Leon Roskilly

Yes me' with your rig and I blanked remember.

Tony :D :D :D

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried again today.

The pike didn't seem to want to play :(

After a couple of hours fishing static baits, I started trotting a float-fished sprat down-river, twitching it as it went, then retrieving it by gaining some line against the current, and pausing before gaining a few feet more.

It worked :)

The only take of the day was an 18.5 pounder that must have sucked the sprat straight to the back of the throat, because that's where the circle hook engaged (no delayed tightening of the line).

No problem at all to remove the hook with (very) long-nosed pliers (I'm getting quite adept at rolling the barbless circles out of the entry point. Dead easy with forceps or pliers once you have the knack).

Has anybody else given circles a try for pike yet?

Great fish!

Haven't tried them yet but may give them a go for small lives over the winter

As for deads I'm sticking to my single treble & single hook combo that works fine

Tried again today.

The pike didn't seem to want to play :(

After a couple of hours fishing static baits, I started trotting a float-fished sprat down-river, twitching it as it went, then retrieving it by gaining some line against the current, and pausing before gaining a few feet more.

It worked :)

The only take of the day was an 18.5 pounder that must have sucked the sprat straight to the back of the throat, because that's where the circle hook engaged (no delayed tightening of the line).

No problem at all to remove the hook with (very) long-nosed pliers (I'm getting quite adept at rolling the barbless circles out of the entry point. Dead easy with forceps or pliers once you have the knack).

Has anybody else given circles a try for pike yet?

yep and hated the things

I thought I'd give it a try somewhere else today, so headed for the River Beault at Mill Lane (near Yalding) fishing above the sluice (KAPS water).

Arrived, put out a deadbait rod, then tackled up a float rod to fish for perch with lobworm.

Cast that out, and started to tidy up, only to see that the float had sunk just beneath the surface.

Thought it was just the weight of the worm, and that I would need to adjust the shot, when the float bobbed up, and went slightly deeper.

Hmmmm!

Lifted the rod, felt the weight and new straight away that it was a pike and not a perch.

A small jack of about 2lbs to start the day :) (but on a single size 10, not a circle)

Nothing after that, so started wobbling the dead-bait, provoking a take from another jack which failed to hook properly.

Moved further up river, and hooked another jack, around 2.5lbs hooked in the scissors, which I unhooked in the water.

And that was it.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

yep and hated the things

Explain?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I usually hear that comment from someone who could usually not get hookups with circles.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Is that a bad reason? If something doesn't suit you, you don't use it. I don't use anything I don't have confidence in and confidence is just as, if not more important than anything in your tackle-box. I couldn't give a piece of tackle 5 minutes if I thought I didn't have confidence in it. I'd wear a ditch in the bank pacing back and forth and then it would come off. Maybe Noodle has no confidence in them and that's all the reason he needs.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Is that a bad reason?

Nope. Not a 'bad' reason at all.

However, dropping a comment such as, "I tried them and hated them", into a discussion about their effectiveness and safety without mentioning why you hate them is not so great and at least needs clarifying.

It would be pretty much the same if I posted, "I tried them and love them", without qualifying that because I do use and like them for some species, have not tried them with some species, and am still trying to work out a rigging method that will be effective on still others (sucker mouth fish mostly).

I fish for carp where I expect to usually hook more catfish than carp since cats are more common. A good carp rig is very often a death rig for catfish or at least a deep hooking rig so I would really love to have a carp rig using circles that is effective. Not found one I like just yet but I will keep looking since I hate deep hooking cats and safe hook removal with them is very difficult even using the unhooking device Alan Taylor was selling for a while.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

newt you are correct couldnt get a hook hold with them for pike

for perch they work fine and i dont think id go for cats with anything else

but as for pike fishing a rubber band woud be more use i even failed to get a single hook up on sprats using a 2/0 owner mutu ten runs in three hours not one hook hold, popped a proper single on and hey presto next hit ended up on the bank

I have close to zero pike experience so can't help there and do almost no live or dead baiting except for catfish so can only speculate about that style.

Perch are structurally close enough to black bass that I have a pretty good idea about using circles for them.

They are ideal for rigging a soft plastic (shad) wacky style

wackystickwormjr.jpg

although not much good for other plastic rigs and I like them on lures replacing trebles although that is at least partially because they are some much easier to deal with when unhooking so I'll happily tolerate a slightly lower hook-up rate.

Were you using offset points? Straight or slanted hook eyes?

I know if your line/wire exits this style eye in the wrong direction you don't hook many fish.

Gamakatsu%20Octopus%20Circle%20Hook.jpg