No More Trebles

Leon Roskilly

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been experimenting with circle hooks when float fishing a juicy fat lobworm on a stillwater for Perch. Not missed a bite as yet with several nice hungry Perch perfectly scissor hooked, ranging from some nice little 6" tiddlers up to 1lb 12oz this afternoon. All to a size 6 hook. Works every time for me, I'm converted !!!!

tried it a few times...wont use singles for pike..not unless they are fry feeding and im using very small baits.

the dead/live baits i use just cant be rigged properly without trebles, also with singles i have missed many a take....its odd because with zander, i prefer singles. B)

Mainly due to size of baits used, but also zander dont have the big mouth of a pike, trying to free two trebeles that arte firmly lodged can be difficult. there isnt much room to work in a zeds mouth, and i have unhooked zeds to over 12+. That and zeds can be much more finicky than pike.

nope tried and tested trebles for me everytime, and i dont fish popular waters, so i dont have the problem of pike with snapped off traces in there guts. :angry:

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

• 2 months later...

Just read this thread with interest ive just bought some circles for a proposed zander/pike session at Bury Hill where singles are very much encouraged.

My only previous experience was when i was fishing in Australia with chunks of fish for their 'Salmon' which are more like a mackeral or small tuna - no problem with hooking etc as you wind down and feel for the fish.

We'll give it a go and i'll report back once ive tried them...

Leon has answered me but can anyone else tell me why a scissor hold is thought to be a good thing? In my limited experience in catching pike in the scissors, I've already managed to damage one, possibly forever and it may or may not have survived the experience.

I just want a straightforward answer here. Why is a scissor hold a good thing in comparison to say a solid hooking in the top jaw? I hear the phrase,"Perfectly hooked in the scissors" regularly.

Why is is it perfect? Why is a good thing? Why is it something to aim for?

I'm just not convinced that scissor holds are a good thing at all but the consensus says otherwise, or so it would appear. Perhaps I was just unlucky but I'm 100% certain that anyone else who had witnessed the damage done that day, would do everything they could, from that point forward, to avoid scissor holds.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

as you may know, i'm very pro-circle hooks for piking. can't say i've seen undue damage with scissor holds, certainly with barbless circles. nonetheless, maybe the point is that a scissor hold is better than a gut hold. i've yet to gut hook a pike with circles. can't say how many fish i've caught on circles. but i should imagine around 50.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

nonetheless, maybe the point is that a scissor hold is better than a gut hold.

can't say how many fish i've caught on circles. but i should imagine around 50.

Yes certainly agree with your first point but as Andy says just because a fish isnt hooked in the scissors doesnt mean it hs to be gut hooked!

Serious question re your last statement- How many have you missed on circle hooks and what baits/methods have you been using?

Why did you feel the need to change from trebles or is it just a case of seeing what circles are all about?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Leon has answered me but can anyone else tell me why a scissor hold is thought to be a good thing? In my limited experience in catching pike in the scissors, I've already managed to damage one, possibly forever and it may or may not have survived the experience.

I just want a straightforward answer here. Why is a scissor hold a good thing in comparison to say a solid hooking in the top jaw? I hear the phrase,"Perfectly hooked in the scissors" regularly.

Why is is it perfect? Why is a good thing? Why is it something to aim for?

I'm just not convinced that scissor holds are a good thing at all but the consensus says otherwise, or so it would appear. Perhaps I was just unlucky but I'm 100% certain that anyone else who had witnessed the damage done that day, would do everything they could, from that point forward, to avoid scissor holds.

I cant understand Andy how a scissor hooked Pike even with barbed trebbles would cause a major problem . I can appreciate the debate of singles v trebles from both sides but ive never personally witnessed a problem with trebles, i think it all comes down to experience & technique by that i mean if your sat on your rods fishing, deephooking shouldnt be a worry likewise a scissor hooked fish just takes a bit more care . Not having a pop mate just my opinion :rolleyes:

The more i practice the luckier i get :)

just because a fish isnt hooked in the scissors doesnt mean it hs to be gut hooked!

no it doesn't, but you do get gut hooked fish with trebles. you don't with circles, or at least i haven't yet.

Serious question re your last statement- How many have you missed on circle hooks and what baits/methods have you been using?

an interesting question. with the right baits and tactics on the right day, i miss few if any fish on circles. they are good for small dead and livebaits and excellent for wobbling. virtually a waste of time for large baits.

had to add the caveat about the right day. in a previous post i described how i hammered a swim with singles, went back a couple of days later and missed nearly all the runs until i used two trebles. having said that, my default trace before i discovered circles was a single treble, so more a case of one versus two hooks rather than trebles versus singles.

Why did you feel the need to change from trebles or is it just a case of seeing what circles are all about?

1. no gut hooked fish - that alone sells it for me

2. i've always found trebles to be a bit of a pain in the arse with netting etc

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire