No More Trebles

Leon Roskilly

no it doesn't, but you do get gut hooked fish with trebles. you don't with circles, or at least i haven't yet.

My aproach is more to try and avoid this/reduce it but if it does happen know how to deal with it

an interesting question. with the right baits and tactics on the right day, i miss few if any fish on circles. they are good for small dead and livebaits and excellent for wobbling. virtually a waste of time for large baits.

Can you define large and small please?

had to add the caveat about the right day. in a previous post i described how i hammered a swim with singles, went back a couple of days later and missed nearly all the runs until i used two trebles. having said that, my default trace before i discovered circles was a single treble, so more a case of one versus two hooks rather than trebles versus singles.

1. no gut hooked fish - that alone sells it for me

Simply an alternative way of trying to get around the problem but not a cure as singles can still be swallowed and represent a fr greater risk of causing dmage death thn a much smaller treble

2. i've always found trebles to be a bit of a pain in the arse with netting etc

Yes they can be but theoreticlly a semi barbed treble is no different in this situation to a barbed single ie only one barb to get caught

When I was experimenting with circles I didnt get any deep hooked fish but put tht down more to me trying to avoid deephooking anyway.I have spoke to other pikers who all though they agree that (due to the mechanics of the hook) deep hooking is less likely even if swllowed it can still happen (as they have had it whilst trying).

If I thought that circles were better than trebles for both piking and the pike I wouldnt hesitte to swap over.My own experience with them showed me they were no where near as efficient (as did most other experienced pikers I know).

If I thought they were better to reccomend to begineers I would as well but my initial worry is simply that their lack of efficiency will lead to much longer delayed strikes by these "begineers" and when a fish is deep hooked they then wont have the necesary skills to safely deal with it.

I dont feel mine is a "catch at all cost" aproach as I simply dont think I cause enough damage/deaths to warrent loosing/missing fish by sticking with my trebles and using good fishing and unhooking practices.

Ive disscussed this with many pikers and I know very few (who are capable of using trebles properly) who have ever stuck with/converted to circles after trying them be that short turn or long term.

I agree that a lot of the time this has to be something tried by he individual angler but I do object if I see one (still on that learning curve) either scolding others for not using them or preaching that they are the only way ahead! (not that Im saying you are!)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the size I tried/am still trying with circles for Perch and they do seem ok in that range.

Most of my piking with them was done with bigger baits both live and dead and the take to hook up ratio definately got poorer the bigger the bait regardless of circle size.In fact with bigger baits (especially lives) I tried a slightly different type of circle coincidently called a "livebait" hook.A bit better but still not as good as a much smaller treble.

"I tried a slightly different type of circle coincidently called a "livebait" hook"

Kahle hook Budgie?

shiner_20.gif

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yes near as dam it mate! The only difference being the straight eye on my ones.They call them "Shiner Hooks" on the packet but Im sure you also sent me some called "livebait" hooks? either way they are all Kahle hooks though!

ShinerHooks.jpg

Just realised that the SE must stand for Straight Eye

Edited by BUDGIE

been reading through almost every single post here with the limited time i have on my break.

im with andy macfalane on this and not only because we go piking together and are very good friends but i can only see circles in the scissors not such a great idea. better than a deep hooked pike ? im not sure but dislocating a pikes jaw vs deep hooking equals the same outcome.

think of it this way, imagine being pulled by your arm with great force.

im sure someone mentioned being hooked in the scissors is no different from being hooked anywhere else in the mouth (or something to that effect), but wouldnt it be sensible to assume that pressure is being spread out over a larger area in the mouth than in the one most single weak point of a pikes jaw which i have not yet witnessed using trebles and it seems more times than not that circles hook them in the sissors... please correct me if im wrong

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I think its a very strange thing Andy.I have never seen any evidence of damage to the scissors when using treble hooks,in fact never even thought about it untill Poach's post on the subject.My conclusion from that is that it must be an almost non occurance! But in reflection I did notice far more hook holds in the scissors with several set ups namely The Uni rig (one treble one single) single hooks and circles.

After a bit of thought this must be due to almost missing the take! ie the uni rig not being as effective at hooking as the standard snap tackle only just getting a hold in the corner of the mouth as its pulled out! same with singles and of course definately the way with circles as their design requires a "ridge" for it to "trip" and the point engage.This "near missing" obviously what makes them less effective but also "helps" reduce the chance of deep hooking.

Now like I said I cant remember any damage or that many scissor hook ups with snap tackles but do remember (all though no damage) far more scissor hook ups with uni,single,circles.Maybe the greater percentage of this type of hook up simply magnifies the extremely smaller chance of the damage?

The real grip is that it seems anglers (some) are so paranoid (because they dont know how/try to avoid or simply dont know how to deal with) deep hooking that they accept anyting as a better alternative?

No Im still convinced when every thing is taken into account and the more things that come to light that the traditional snap tackle (allbeit with semi brbed or barbless trebles) fished properly and dilligently is still the best option for both pikers and pike.No matter what is done deep hooking will always be a possibility so all must make sure they have the tools,know how and balls to be able to deal with it.

The more I see the more Im sure my old (non fishing) fishery owning mate Berni Brown had it right when he simply put "If your scared of pike dont fish for them" on his rules!

Notropis cornutus = common shinner (minnow) in the US

shiner2.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The real grip is that it seems anglers (some) are so paranoid (because they dont know how/try to avoid or simply dont know how to deal with) deep hooking that they accept anyting as a better alternative?

im just concerned about putting a lot of pressure on the scissors and thought this well before this topic was started, i welcome a better alternative as im sure many other anglers do. i think all of you who have tried circles have had the drag set properly which brings me to my next issue.

could circle hooks in the hands of a novice be a good idea, how many have you seen locked dead on to a pike without properly setting the drag. could that cause damage to the scissors with totaly uneccesary pressure being put on it?

note to andy macfarlane: im not saying your a novice i know your drag was spot on.....only kidding your a complete noddy haha :P

No matter what is done deep hooking will always be a possibility so all must make sure they have the tools,know how and balls to be able to deal with it.

hit the nail on the head there, i believe... and always have, that people are needing to be educated regarding handling and unhooking pike and coping with gassed up, deep hooked and removal of traces and trebles that have broken off and left inside the pike.

with this knowledge there wouldnt be any problems with any rig you used.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk