No More Trebles

Leon Roskilly

That's why it's such a good idea for clubs to make people attend a pike teach-in and get their club books stamped before allowing them to pike fish (e.g. Farnham AC). Also a good point to remind everyone that Budgie's doing a FREE pike teach-in at the end of the month in Norfolk (see the pike and zander fish-in topic), which anyone can come to, whether you've made 1 post or 10,000.

I still haven't tried circles and after digesting all this I don't think I will - they seem like a solution to problem I don't have.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've posted on another topic about my experiences with circles for pike. I found I missed takes, whereas with twin trebles I miss very few.

In fact, like many who've pike fished for several decades, I've tried all sorts of hooking arrangements over the years. These have often been in head to head tests. Like many of my friends I keep coming back to a snap tackle made up of a pair of semi-barbless trebles as being the best allround rig.

Of course I'll use other rigs in special situations. And of course I'll keep an open mind and will continue to experiment with new ideas.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I cant understand Andy how a scissor hooked Pike even with barbed trebbles would cause a major problem . I can appreciate the debate of singles v trebles from both sides but ive never personally witnessed a problem with trebles, i think it all comes down to experience & technique by that i mean if your sat on your rods fishing, deephooking shouldnt be a worry likewise a scissor hooked fish just takes a bit more care . Not having a pop mate just my opinion :rolleyes:

What's hard to understand about the scissor being broken? I'm not a vet, I'm an angler. I did not and still do not know how to fix a broken jaw but I do know how to remove hooks from the guts of a deep-hooked fish. It's not the same thing and it has nothing to do with timing, vigilance or technique. The fish was damaged because it was hooked in the scissor, which became dislodged from it's socket....permanently or not I cannot say.

To make this absolutely clear, it was actually a treble that did this damage, so there's a possibility that this could and probably will happen again, although it has never happened before so it could just have been the fish was a wimp...lol

The point I'm making and it seems some are having a hard time digesting this, is that the main selling point that I can perceive in using circles, is to hook pike in the scissors. I just don't see this as any kind of advantage. I just cannot understand how hooking a fish in the very mechanism is requires to operate it's mouth can be deemed as a good thing.

The fish I hooked was cobbled together as best as I could manage with my understanding of the jaw but the fish was still in some difficulty for some time afterwards and I cannot say one way or another if this hook-up was going to lead to long and lingering death by starvation, which does not sit well with me in any way at all.

If I gut-hook a fish or catch a fish with a trace in it's gut I know I stand a very good chance of removing the offending hook or hooks and the fish should recover afterwards but a 'broken' (I say 'broken' because I'm not qualified to say one way or another) jaw? To me, the scissor was broken, ruined, damaged, buggered....not working properly. It may be nothing or it may be a death-sentence. I cannot say but I certainly was not in my comfort-zone at all and as a result, I would try to avoid hooking fish in the scissors, if at at all possible, for the rest of my days and therefore, even though it was in fact a treble that did this, I would not switch to using circles simply because 'hooked perfectly in the scissors' seems to be their main selling point.

Yes, this could happen with trebles again but to me, switching to circles would simply increase the likelihood of this injury happening again and that is not solving anything that I can see.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Yes Im down with that as well Andy.

It is frustrating when you dont seem to be getting your point across isnt it! I would rather some one replied to something I had said saying it was rubbish (and why of course!) rather than just seemingly ignoring it! Least you know they have read and understood you (even if not agreeing) and you dont have to keep repeating it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

See, what I'm saying is, see these circles...right.... :headhurt:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

What's hard to understand about the scissor being broken? I'm not a vet, I'm an angler. I did not and still do not know how to fix a broken jaw but I do know how to remove hooks from the guts of a deep-hooked fish. It's not the same thing and it has nothing to do with timing, vigilance or technique. The fish was damaged because it was hooked in the scissor, which became dislodged from it's socket....permanently or not I cannot say.

To make this absolutely clear, it was actually a treble that did this damage, so there's a possibility that this could and probably will happen again, although it has never happened before so it could just have been the fish was a wimp...lol

The point I'm making and it seems some are having a hard time digesting this, is that the main selling point that I can perceive in using circles, is to hook pike in the scissors. I just don't see this as any kind of advantage. I just cannot understand how hooking a fish in the very mechanism is requires to operate it's mouth can be deemed as a good thing.

The fish I hooked was cobbled together as best as I could manage with my understanding of the jaw but the fish was still in some difficulty for some time afterwards and I cannot say one way or another if this hook-up was going to lead to long and lingering death by starvation, which does not sit well with me in any way at all.

If I gut-hook a fish or catch a fish with a trace in it's gut I know I stand a very good chance of removing the offending hook or hooks and the fish should recover afterwards but a 'broken' (I say 'broken' because I'm not qualified to say one way or another) jaw? To me, the scissor was broken, ruined, damaged, buggered....not working properly. It may be nothing or it may be a death-sentence. I cannot say but I certainly was not in my comfort-zone at all and as a result, I would try to avoid hooking fish in the scissors, if at at all possible, for the rest of my days and therefore, even though it was in fact a treble that did this, I would not switch to using circles simply because 'hooked perfectly in the scissors' seems to be their main selling point.

Yes, this could happen with trebles again but to me, switching to circles would simply increase the likelihood of this injury happening again and that is not solving anything that I can see.

I,ll tell you whats hard to understand & i,ll give it to you straight the only times ive ever heard of what you describe happening is in the hands of inexperienced or incompetent anglers, ive seen some fisherman that think you unhook a fish by grabbing your hook in your forceps & yanking it out i never suggested thats what you do i was just trying to point out, maybe for other people reading a bit more care while unhooking can avoid this .

Like i say ive never seen or heard of this happening with a fish thats just been banked & i think yours could be a bit of a rarity. You say this happened with trebles that to me makes it even more of a surprise .

As for switching to circles its not something id ever advise as im a million miles from being convinced of the benefits myself, im firmly in the trebles & good fishing camp.

At the end of the day were all batting for the same side :)

Tight Lines

The more i practice the luckier i get :)

I,ll tell you whats hard to understand & i,ll give it to you straight

the only times ive ever heard of what you describe happening.....etc.

Like i say ive never seen or heard of this happening.....etc.

Excuse me but those two comments sound contradictory. Was your 'never' supposed to be an 'ever' or are you simply unsure of what you can or cannot remember in the space of a single post? Have you or have you not seen or heard of this happening?

So, you haven't told what's hard to understand and you haven't given it to me straight. You've given me a mixed up, badly written answer that doesn't make any sense at all. That's what you've given me.

By the way, I didn't say anywhere that the damage was done on the bank, as a result of unhooking. The damage was done before the fish was banked. My unhooking techniques have nothing whatsoever to do with any part of this discussion. If you doubt my ability to unhook pike, you might wish to read my article, on this website, called "Unhooking Pike".

.....Regards.....Andy

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I dont think your unhooking/handling skills are being questioned Andy.I think Kens just saying how hes never seen/heard of jaw/scissor damage (like you describe) before.

Its a fair comment as I too had never untill I read your post.The fact it has happened to you though shows it can and therefore is a good possible reason why the classic "cleanly hooked in the scissors" might not be such a great thing.

Fair enough about the unhooking skills but Budgie but he says on one hand he has heard of this happening and on the other, hasn't, so which is it? Has he or hasn't he?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Read it again mate hes saying that the only time he knows/seen it its been down to the unhooking as opposed to the damage happening during the fight. Well thats how I interpreted it best if Ken confirms this I suppose.