A rant about killing garfish

FearTheHands

long shank hooks minimise damage to garfish as well. i to have experianced total mistreatment of fish as well, on the stone pier .considering you get a lot of tourists and non fisherman on the pier it is just confirming there views that fishing is a cruel sport when they see fish treated that way.

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who`s studio-six and why the cookie :mad:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

chesters1:

who`s studio-six and why the cookie :mad:

A nefarious alien people-abduction group.

Had you accepted the cookie, it would have feasted on various bits of goodies inside your PC and within a day or two, gotten large enough to morph into a sky hook and at that point, the aliens would have snared you and hoisted you up to their space craft for the experimentation they are conducting.

Whew - that was a close one chesters1.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

quote:

considering you get a lot of tourists and non fisherman on the pier it is just confirming there views that fishing is a cruel sport when they see fish treated that way.

I agree kembo. It was my absolute pleasure whilst fishing there to catch a small wrasse just as a family with 4 young children were walking past. They all stood & watched & after I unhooked it I walked over to them to show them the fish.

All of the kids were asking questions like "Does it hurt the fish ?", "Do you put them back ?" "What do they eat ?" etc & it was my great pleasure to pass on the small amount of knowledge I have already picked up.

Their dad thanked me afterwards for taking the time & I really felt heartened that probably one of the kids first experiences of angling was a good one.

I am "Studio Six" it's my web design business. can't understand why you got a cookie! You shouldn't do as I don;t have any scripts running to inititate one. I will investigate ...

It's harmless .... honest

P.S. Does everyone have problems with people walking on the beach walking in fron of your tripod & tangling in your lines ? I continually had to ask people not to walk infront of my tripod even though I was only 8 ft away from the damn surf!

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

I've caught plenty of garfish over the years, most recently on a toby rocket, even if they've hit all 3 barbs i can still get the lure back and the fish swims away for someone else to catch, its just lazyless and in my opion there not the kind of proper anglers like us here on AN.

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

I had a similar problem while fishing on Scarborough pier with my boys. Though I was one of the "youngish" (hahahaha) lads you mention due to my inexperience. We were catching a lot of small fish and really had trouble removing the hooks and getting the fish back in the sea alive. I remember hearing a few tourists behind me saying "oh how cruel " as yet another little fish was killed whilst removing the hook :P I have since discovered a disgorger and now my success rate is a lot better even with the little ones :P

All Im saying is sometimes these kids dont know how to remove the hook and so might need a little education. For my part there was a kind angler on the pier one day who showed me the correct way to do it. I gladly pass on this information to anyone who i see struggling these days. Though I still class my self as a novice

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

The lad I referred to was about 18 & was by no means a novice. I was talking to him before & he'd been fishing most of his life. The second person was in his mid 40's & also had years & years of experience, so lack of knowledge is not to blame in this case ...

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

We seem to be of the opinion that it is a waste of time returning Mackerell once they have been handled(Gospel according to St Leon), but are Garfish affected in the same way?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net