Piking on the chelmer.

dom16

went spinning for pike on the chelmer a couple of weekends ago with my brother. The river was very high and coloured and we didn't take a thing. This was around Hoe mill lock. We moved to Wick mere, a CAA lake nearby, and had a couple of follows then i caught a small 3lb Jack pike. I have not fished the chelmer in years before then as usually i fish the river stort or lea which are nearer to where i live. i belive there are pike of good size in the chelmer but we didn't catch them. :rolleyes:

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I caught a 18.5lb pike from Paper Mills wire pool 15 years ago on a whiting dead bait.

Also kings lock at littlebadow worth a bash, I have seen fish caught to 17lb from hear.

Hoe Mill also can fish well in the wire pool or along the river.

Edited by frankthebass

THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM THE FUZZY WUZZIES, THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM!

Last winter i almost always tried to fish in the weirpool if i could (found that to be a hot spot on that area of the river for deadbaiting). Shame now its been closed for fishing. Someone told me a while ago that they might open it for the winter for fishing but nothings happened yet.

Edited by dom16

dom, was you the young lad I leant a real to last year at papermills?

The problem at Paper Mills is the boating people I think. I have boats myself but there seems to be an anti angling eliment there and its now spoilt one of my favorite spots.

THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM THE FUZZY WUZZIES, THEY DONT LIKE IT UP EM!

My brother had a 17lb'er earlier in the year, not saying where from though, call it unfinished business. ;):)

I'll see if I have the photo on Cd, maybe post it up, minus backdrop, as any proof of decent Chelmer Pike is extremely rare. Franks 18.5lb'er is the biggest authentic fish I've heard of.

I'm know there's much bigger lurking around, we had a jack with an enormous fresh bite mark accross it at around the same time. I wouldn't mind seeing the old girl that did that!

Good luck, maybe see you on the bank sometime. :thumbs:

Hi

I lived in Great Baddow for 2 years and fished the chelmer mainly for tench.

On one occasion in the middle of January I decided to fish paper mill lock for pike, as I had seen one caught there in the summer.

I went with smelts and float tackle.

Firstly I set up by the bridge; there is a small stream that runs in on the far bank and some deep water just in frount of the stream. I caught first cast an 18lb pike, followed with in the next 2 hours by 8 more ranging from 2lb to 8lbs. I then had a take and to my surprise landed a Chub just under 6lb! The swim went dead,

I moved towards the lock and fished under a willow tree (lots of snags) I caught a further 9 pike!!!! All less than 7lb bar one of 11lb

What a session. I was surprised that there were so many pike in one area. When I though about it I believe they were breeding and the bigger fish in each swim was the female and the smaller fish were her amorous male suitors.

Cracking days fishing, unfortunately this was just before I moved back to Warwickshire.

I miss fishing the chelmer as well as the fly fishing at Hanningfield (the best reservoir fly fishing in the UK in my opinion)

Cheers Bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"