Pole Fishing Terminology

Elton

Posted on behalf of William. Please add all responses to this thread:

I have just taken up Pole fishing and I don't understand the terminology "4 x 8" and 4 x10. Can you tell me what this means? Also what does the grammes on the float relate to?

Many thanks

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I'm no pole fisherman but i think '4x8' and '4x10' is referring to floats. If a float is '4x8', i think it needs 4 number 8 split shot to cock it properly. I think it is the same with the grams. However much it says on the float (in grams) is how much split shot is needed to cock the float.

Hope this helps, please can someone correct me if im wrong.

Dom.

not entirely certain but i believe 4x14 etc refers to stile sizes rather than shot.

Styles are similar to shot but you cant remove them easily once placed on the line, they tend to be sdmall pieces of lead folded over the line with special plyers.

Yes it can be confusing, when you see a float marked 4 x 16 the 16 denotes the size of style lead. I am not sure if there is a chart available. See my list below. 4 x 10 = .1 gram 4 x 12 = .2 gram 4 x 13 = .3 gram 4 x 14 = .4 gram 4 x 15 = .5 gram 4 x 16 = .6 gram 4 x 18 = .75 gram 4 x 20 = 1.0 gram hope this helps.

ps i copied this from a bob nudd post i found on here.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I'm no pole fisherman but i think '4x8' and '4x10' is referring to floats. If a float is '4x8', i think it needs 4 number 8 split shot to cock it properly. I think it is the same with the grams. However much it says on the float (in grams) is how much split shot is needed to cock the float.

Hope this helps, please can someone correct me if im wrong.

Dom.

Seems to be a lot of it about this week !

4x8 is the weight of Styles required to cock the float: four No 8's would be a bit too much.

i.e.a No8 shot weighs 0.068 grams --- a No 8 Style weighs 0.017 grams.

The usual conversion for 4x8 is 2xNo 11(shot) plus two No 12's(shot).

That any good? :)

OI OI,

the only term i can put on pole fishermen is a pain in the ar$e especially as they think they have the god given right to block foot-paths with all there cr^p,

sorry sorry i ment the only term i can put on pole fishermen is match-men & we all know there a pain in the ar$e sorry sorry i have nothing against pole fishermen gggrrrr.

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

The term '4x8' and '4x10' does refer to the Style weight that a pole float carries, it is a far more accurate means or weight measurement than any other split shot.

Traditionaly the Style leads are applied using a special pair of pliers and just nipped onto the line so they can me moved carefully.

For the pole angler there is no better form of presentation than a float shotted with Style leads!

Sounds like you have had personal experience of said matchmen with poles on the canal Bill, I know what you mean but at least they are paying for the privilage of sitting on the towpath during a match.

PS. Bill, B&Q make a custom made carrying case that holds up to 10,000 Style leads, trouble is it takes over the entire canal towpath when open lol

OI OI,

the only term i can put on pole fishermen is a pain in the ar$e especially as they think they have the god given right to block foot-paths with all there cr^p,

sorry sorry i ment the only term i can put on pole fishermen is match-men & we all know there a pain in the ar$e sorry sorry i have nothing against pole fishermen gggrrrr.

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

not our fault m8, blame the french they started it all, all we want to do is catch more fish unlike the armchair anglers who just want to sit on there chairs all day reading books on how to catch a fish.

OI, OI

oooooooooooooh loughton possie ganging oop on't poor old bill, lmao me dook.

Edited by kempo

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image