pike flies, which ones/ types?

dom16

Just wondering what your fave pike flies are and what size, also, is it worth pike fly fishin at this time of year?

Cheers. Dom

It's always worth fly fishing at any time of the year.

Flies??

Try Sportsmail. Get those made from EP fibres more expensive but they are castable. Don't get them too big, I have started using smaller flies up to around 2.0s you can of course go larger.

see here for some ideas and what you might catch! The website is being revamped so plenty of older heavier flies shown.

Colin

Hi Dom I do quite a bit of FF for Pike - you ask about size of flies, well to be honest it depends on the aftma rating of your rod and weight of line you intend using, but generaly speaking I use 2/0 to 4/0 Partridge AD Swier Pike Hooks (barbless) or Gamakatsu ??? 1/0 or 2/0 (forgot the name).

I tie my pike flies out of Flashabou and Angel-Hair, this has the advantage that it doesnt soak up water so you dont end up casting a fly as heavy as a dead budgy and the movement of the flashabou is extremely sexy. Generalyy speaking I use flies of 10 - 15cm length, perhaps 20cm. I use an #8 weight ECHO2 from Tim Rajeff to cast the larger flies, if there is no wind I will drop down to a #6 weight - but to be honest it is less work with an #8 weight rod. I use a shooting head set-up with approx 150cm of 0,50mm leader with approx 30cm of Shock-Tippet. I use 0,8mm Hard-Mono for my shock tippets. The leader and Shock-Tippet all have loop connections so that I can change very quickly. My flies are pre-mounted on the shock tippets, which means I can very easily swop flies if the tippet gets damaged. All repairing/changing of the tippest is normaly done back at base (warmer). I carry my flies in a plastic bag in the pocket of my wading jacket.

Right now to patterns patterns - quite simple have a look at some of the links I have included, the flies I use are based on Martin Valeurs original design. If you have any q's drop me a PM or eMail.

Pikehunters

Sören Essebos site (swedish but just have a look at it)

from Finland with love

Morten Valeurs Pike Brush

I have also included a link to Martin Joergensens site - an absolute mine of info, enjoy browsing it ..

Global FlyFisher

Have a great weekend

BalticFlyFisher

Dom this might be a better pictorial guide to Mortens PikeBrush than Martin's description on GlobalFlyFisher - its in Swedish but the pics are easy enough to follow. When tying these Flash monsters I find it helpful to wax the dubbing loop and hold it horizontal whilst arranging the flash material; the wax prevents the flash from dropping out.

Page 1, Page 2

have fun ...

BalticFlyFisher :bye1: