MS Works desktop icon

Peter Sharpe

Okay - this is getting personal. It's something that doesn't do any harm, but I've just decided that I don't want it there. It's that silver-grey pop-up that s automatically placed on my desktop at launch, with a drop-down menu of Works tasks. I hate Works anyway, because of its idiot-friendly, in-your-face templates, but getting rid of this damned thing will do for now. My new computer from Aldi came with MS Office, but it was only a trial version and as I didn't want to get too used to it I dumped it.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

If you want to remove Works altogether then do so from Add/Remove programs (may need to tick 'include updates' at top of window).

If it's just the desktop tile, can you drag it to the recycle bin? Or does this prompt an error? I don't use works either I prefer OpenOffice....

I don't think I can drag it to the bin or delete it, as it is generated during statup. The trouble is that I can't see anything that looks like it in the startup files. I will have a look at OpenOffice, although I have heard a few reports suggesting it is not all it's cracked up to be. It's got to be better than works though.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I don't think I can drag it to the bin or delete it, as it is generated during statup. The trouble is that I can't see anything that looks like it in the startup files. I will have a look at OpenOffice, although I have heard a few reports suggesting it is not all it's cracked up to be. It's got to be better than works though.

hit the start button, bottom left,

now in the run box type in msconfig and hit enter.

now go to the startup tab and take the check out of msworks and hit apply

now re-boot,

put a check the box i know i bloody changed the startup procedure and don't remind me again I'm not bloody stupid and you should be OK to go.

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

hit the start button, bottom left,

now in the run box type in msconfig and hit enter.

now go to the startup tab and take the check out of msworks and hit apply

now re-boot,

put a check the box i know i bloody changed the startup procedure and don't remind me again I'm not bloody stupid and you should be OK to go.

Thanks :) I should have thought of that. Mind you, I'm sure I did that with the wireless networking stuff and the icons still keep appearing in the taskbar.

Perhaps now you can tell me how to install TeakUI. I keep running the file to install it and it does - the only trouble is that I can't find where the hell it has gone - certainly not the Control Panel, where it is supposed to go. Bloody XP - I hate it.

Got rid of the Works task thingy by disabling WksSB in msconfig. The two wireless network connection icons are something to do with Windows Firewall, but they're still there, even though I've disabled it in favour of Zone Alarm.

Moveonboot is handy to have installed!

It's handy if you know exactly what it is that you are trying to move. :huh: