new computer pre installed MS Windows media query

Riley

A friend spent a thousand quid on a new pc with whistles and bells, from a large high street company (no names mentioned of course)and it now it wont boot. She was not given a cd with the pc. Is that right? What happens now? how she can repair without cd , and even without the problem she couldn't have reformated, installed other bits etc, could she? I thought all genuine windows, even oems had to come with a genuine sticker and cd, am i wrong again?

Sorry but this wasnt really a question relating to technical help.... I just wanted to know if a PC sold with a preinstalled operating system should have a CD supplied. Of course if someone can offer technical help without my friend having to call their VERY expensive hot line then so much the better!

Edited by Riley

Riley

The more people I meet the more I like my dog!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably won't help much now,but when I bought my new PC a few weeks back, it advised me to make back up Cd's right from thr start, there was some software installed which set this up for me.

This was an HP Compaq from PC World.

I hope it works if I ever need it :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Hi all

with some early hewletts they provided a cd and floppy of which ran along side themselfs to fix any probs, but i always thought it was a sortof futile idea` but with some ive fixed it worked ok

i too would have thought there would be a sticker on the outside stating oem numbers for the operating systems as ive seen many times and usually comes with a boot cd etc to put everything back as it was before.

hope all goes ok but tbh you would have been better off building your own and having a nice xp etc cd handy `is always a handy thing,plus you can choose what you want init that wont need upgrading in the small months to come.

most hewletts ive seen they are very limited on upgradability which considering the pace things move is always a godsend.

hope you didnt go hewlett:):)

good luck

steve

Edited by billy50000

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

Hello Riley! WEll in my limited experience YES is the answer! You should get a disk and liscence! BUT it's all GREEK to me matey!! (Sorry, couldn't resist!!)

Corfu eh?? Spent a week there several years ago courtesy of HMS Newcastle!! Looked ater like lords we were!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Hello Riley! WEll in my limited experience YES is the answer! You should get a disk and liscence! BUT it's all GREEK to me matey!! (Sorry, couldn't resist!!)

Corfu eh?? Spent a week there several years ago courtesy of HMS Newcastle!! Looked ater like lords we were!!

Seems to be all Greek to her too!

We have a reputation for looking after her Majesties RN! Bet you all descended on Ipsos seems to be the village for a good night when the navy is in town and all daughters are safely locked up! :P

Oh well look like its another day wasted on the help line for her then.

Riley

I would have thought you should get a CD as when you buy the PC you become the owner of the Microsoft Licence for the software which is installed.

It maybe that the shop is trying to make you pay for technical help that you shouldn't have to pay for (God forbid that they would do that)

Huh ho it looks like I have my cynical head on today.

you can go here and download a free bootable floppy. Hope it helps, also you`ll have to tell your computer where the new boot is comming from IE (floppy). Tony

http://www.bootdisk.com/

That looks like the right idea but personally I would be scared to tackle that!

Riley

It maybe that the shop is trying to make you pay for technical help that you shouldn't have to pay for (God forbid that they would do that)

:o

whispers.....PC world!!

Riley

I used to word for Currys (same group as PC World, same PC's and after sales too) and can honestly say no PC i ever saw them sell went without a recovery CD of some sort. Not all would have an OEM copy of a windows disc though. Some would have a hidden partition on the hard disk containing the recovery data but they would would always come with a CD to start the recovery process. I'm sure it was Packard Bell's and HP's that did this mostly.

By any chance was the PC and ex-display or something? the discs frequently go walkies and the staff aren't always too willing to admit they're missing to customers :unsure: (some of them cost a fortune to replace via the PC manufacturers)

:)

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..