new computer pre installed MS Windows media query

Riley

your not one of them call center techies who say, reformat if all else fails, turns out it was just forgeting to plug the mouse in. <_<

No, I am not. :yeah:

I was once talking to a client who was having a problem reading a 5.25 floppy I had sent her with a patch on it. I asked her if the door was closed. I meant the little latch on the 5.25 floppy drive. She said that it was not. When I suggested she may get on better with the latch down she got up and closed and locked her office door. :)

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I am not. :yeah:

I was once talking to a client who was having a problem reading a 5.25 floppy I had sent her with a patch on it. I asked her if the door was closed. I meant the little latch on the 5.25 floppy drive. She said that it was not. When I suggested she may get on better with the latch down she got up and closed and locked her office door. :)

haha classical :clap2:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Riley

If you PM me your friend can give me a ring. Fixing PC's over the phone is my profession.

Thats very kind..... you dont work for pc worlds support line do you?!! :unsure:

Riley

The more people I meet the more I like my dog!

Thats very kind..... you dont work for pc worlds support line do you?!! :unsure:

No I do not! If you look at my postings I always advise peeps to stay away from PC World. I use dabs.com, novatech, and on the odd occasion Maplin. Not a huge fan of Maplin either, but they are within walking distance and they open Sunday, handy if like me you don't own a car.

Seriously PM me and I will send my phone number.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

No I do not! If you look at my postings I always advise peeps to stay away from PC World. I use dabs.com, novatech, and on the odd occasion Maplin. Not a huge fan of Maplin either, but they are within walking distance and they open Sunday, handy if like me you don't own a car.

Seriously PM me and I will send my phone number.

Sorry that was said tongue in cheek!

Thanks,at the moment she has been in touch with the help line which she had already subscribed to (how outrageous to have to pay to subscribe to get service that I think should be automatic!)

Thanks very much for the offer.... we may still have to take you up on it!

ps F8 didnt work either

Riley

The more people I meet the more I like my dog!

Sorry that was said tongue in cheek!

Thanks,at the moment she has been in touch with the help line which she had already subscribed to (how outrageous to have to pay to subscribe to get service that I think should be automatic!)

Thanks very much for the offer.... we may still have to take you up on it!

ps F8 didnt work either

F8 @ bootup should always bring up a menu, but your timing has to be good, you only get a second or two.

Hi

I'm the friend (Riley's!). Kind of Riley to get involved , thought I'd better see what she'd been up to! Thank you all for your advice - it has been truely illuminating. The PC World link was (obvious really!) the appropriate one but unfortunately having run system recovery several times on 'non-destructive' format it appears to go through the motions (takes 14 mins each time) but when I restart the pc it returns to the (original) error screen. I'm wondering whether to run the quick format to return it to factory settiings - my kids will kill me (this is basically their pc) as I'll lose all their stuff.

Any more advice anybody? Perhaps you'd better PM me your phone no Corydoras.......

Hi

I'm the friend (Riley's!). Kind of Riley to get involved , thought I'd better see what she'd been up to! Thank you all for your advice - it has been truely illuminating. The PC World link was (obvious really!) the appropriate one but unfortunately having run system recovery several times on 'non-destructive' format it appears to go through the motions (takes 14 mins each time) but when I restart the pc it returns to the (original) error screen. I'm wondering whether to run the quick format to return it to factory settiings - my kids will kill me (this is basically their pc) as I'll lose all their stuff.

Any more advice anybody? Perhaps you'd better PM me your phone no Corydoras.......

Tia, I cannot PM you, either because you have PM switched off or because you have not being posting long enough. I have sent a PM to Riley with my mobile phone number for you.

Edited by corydoras

Tia, I cannot PM you, either because you have PM switched off or because you have not being posting long enough. I have sent a PM to Riley with my mobile phone number for you.

Thanks I couldn't see the facility to PM you so you could be right. Unfortunately Riley is on a (much delayed) plane to England and will not be online for 3 weeks!

Thanks I couldn't see the facility to PM you so you could be right. Unfortunately Riley is on a (much delayed) plane to England and will not be online for 3 weeks!

I got a PM from Riley. The offer still stands and you have my number. Whistle if you need me.

Cory