new computer pre installed MS Windows media query

Riley

It will have a 'recovery' partition on the hard disk.

Press <f8> on boot to access the menu.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaq...cname=c00044897

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will have a 'recovery' partition on the hard disk.

Press <f8> on boot to access the menu.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaq...cname=c00044897

Ah now we are talking!

I was going to do some procrastination today, but I thought bugger it, I'll do that tomorrow.

I am going to have that as my epitaph!

Thanks guys . I am going to e mail my friends this thread as i think they will be able to get going with this info. Interesting re curry's pC world cds... be warned! Though I am puzzled as to what happens if someone wants to do a basic reformat?

Riley

The more people I meet the more I like my dog!

What's all this nonsense about technical help lines and recovery disks? Tell them to take the damned thing back to the shop and demand a refund or at least replacement. It's clearly not "fit for purpose". This happens far too often with the high street consumer electronics shops. I'm sure they just let customers do their quality control. I once had to take back three portable TV sets before I got one that actually worked (didn't bother me, they gave me the next model up each time they changed it!)

What's all this nonsense about technical help lines and recovery disks? Tell them to take the damned thing back to the shop and demand a refund or at least replacement. It's clearly not "fit for purpose". This happens far too often with the high street consumer electronics shops. I'm sure they just let customers do their quality control. I once had to take back three portable TV sets before I got one that actually worked (didn't bother me, they gave me the next model up each time they changed it!)

id take this advice and do just that... i recall some yearsa ago, first pc i ever bought was £1000 thinking that it was a super pc at that price. all i was buying was tons and tons of totaly useless, i mnea TOTALY useless software, the pc (hardware) its self cost about £50 now days. it had win Me on it i wanted xp so i installed it and all my software was gone, £1,000 down the drain.

take it back/ full refund/ buy a stock computer (nothing on it what so ever) that way your friend can tailor what they need and always have the cd's

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I'm afraid i don't think you would get a refund for a software issue, i asked a friend who still works for the company and was directed to this link. Apparently some new PC's don't come with the disc, they have a facility to create your own recovery discs from the hidden partitian or start the process without the disc.

Have a look : http://support.pcworld.co.uk/layout.aspx?I...e-2c3d9093abb1}

Hope it helps :)

Paul.

Edited by pikergonecarpin
There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

I'm afraid i don't think you would get a refund for a software issue, i asked a friend who still works for the company and was directed to this link. Apparently some new PC's don't come with the disc, they have a facility to create your own recovery discs from the hidden partitian or start the process without the disc.

Have a look : http://support.pcworld.co.uk/layout.aspx?I...e-2c3d9093abb1}

Hope it helps :)

Paul.

Too late for recovery disc! it wont boot to get in!

Riley

The more people I meet the more I like my dog!

WTF do people give money to PC World?

Go to www.google.co.uk. Search for in "pc world" problem. If the first page does not put you off, then IMO you deserve all you get.

Don't buy your IT kit from PC World and don't buy your internet access from AOL.

If you want a nice new PC find a nice tame techie like me to build one for you.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

A friend spent a thousand quid on a new pc with whistles and bells, from a large high street company (no names mentioned of course)and it now it wont boot. She was not given a cd with the pc. Is that right? What happens now? how she can repair without cd , and even without the problem she couldn't have reformated, installed other bits etc, could she? I thought all genuine windows, even oems had to come with a genuine sticker and cd, am i wrong again?

Sorry but this wasnt really a question relating to technical help.... I just wanted to know if a PC sold with a preinstalled operating system should have a CD supplied. Of course if someone can offer technical help without my friend having to call their VERY expensive hot line then so much the better!

Riley

If you PM me your friend can give me a ring. Fixing PC's over the phone is my profession.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote