Never knew they grew so big!

pikergonecarpin

Budgie - while he ain't no bird, severus fishes for those beasties on the Great Lakes in the US.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Budgie - while he ain't no bird, severus fishes for those beasties on the Great Lakes in the US.

Not me, Newt. Lakers tend to fight like an old boot, are a bit greasy, and sh*t themselves when landed in the boat. That's why locals here call them greasers, poopers, and mud chickens. I catch and release them on occasion while trolling for salmonoids. They have been introduced to other deep, cold lakes out west, like Tahoe and Flaming Gorge Reservoir in Utah, which is where the one below is from. The fish was once a world record at 61.5 lbs; I discovered it in a restaurant last summer by the California Sierras. A real hog.

recordlaker.jpg

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Can't match the one on the wall Severus, but here is one I caught in Blue Mesa Lake, Colorado a year or two back. Took it on a deep-diving plug. They call them Mackinaws in Colorado.

gltormackinawcharob5.jpg

It put up quite a good fight for its size, that big tail provided plenty of power. We thought it looked a good eating size, so took it to a fish restaurant where they "did it up brown" for us. It was delicious and Norma and I scoffed the lot at one sitting.

I can understand that anything bigger would be less good to eat and perhaps a bit sluggish in the fight, but I have no complaints about either the fighting or the eating qualities of the one I caught.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I have caught these fish in Sweden, on a down rigger, the Swedish call them Rodding (not sure of the swedish spelling)

I can confirm that they taste fantastic.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Newt,if I have to chat Severus up to catch fish like that then so be it! :o;)

While Im at it Newt a friend of mine who lives in Ohio eats Perch and "Orange roughy" Perch I presume are Crappies or some other similar Pan fish but any idea what an "Orange roughy" is??? She didnt even know if it was a sea or freshwater fish!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ohio and the perch is most likely our old friend Perca. We have done a few discussions on here about the slight difference in scientific names but other than ours not getting as large as the UK ones so, the fish look identical.

Orange roughy = Hoplostethus atlanticus and is a sea fish. Ours is the same as the ones Bobj gets in OZ. Ugly beastie and is the only fish my wife enjoys eating. Cold water fish and long lived (known to reach 150 years). Can reach 75cm and 7Kg but very slow growing so not many do manage it.

Roughy.gif

Ask severus about the fish that swim upstream and finish the reproductive process in a small stream that runs along the back edge of his yard. 3 or 4 were there when we visited and I was amazed at how large they were considering the very small size of the creek. 2-3 ft deep and maybe 15 feet wide, if that.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Cheers Newt! that'll impress her that I now know what her favourite eating fish looks like! I didnt bother looking it up as I wrongly assumed it was just a local name! Looks a bit "snapperish".Thanks mate.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have not seen one except in the fish market and already cleaned but I understand the photo above is a very handsome specimen and that most of them are pretty ragged looking.

More info and a realistic photo Here if you are interested.