The Best Winter Bait

Sled2004

I have to disagree mate, As I have had a lot of luck with pineapple and tootie fruity baits. But I must admit every water is different. So who is to say who is right or wrong.

Ditto that. I use fruit type baits or something like active 8. I wouldn't go near fishmeals in winter, although I do know they can work on some waters.

Rob.

Without doubt, Indian Spice from Heathrow Bait Services. Used as a single hook bait it has put more fish on the bank than any other bait I've used!

Take care,

Garth.

i live brackley to what lakes do you go to

I used to fish St James heavily until the fish kill, but I also used to travel futher afield to places such as Kingsmead 1, Shennington, Wraysbury 2, Billing, Horseshoe, Dovecote and Furzton.

Inbetween I used to fish Pimlico, Farnborough, Belchers and Launton, all good for a bit of fun.

St James used to great fun in the summer. I had 3x 20's within 45mins using a cork ball as a hookbait and chum mixers as freebies, which is suprisingly good considering all the blinkin' ducks and Canada's that are on there!

Ash had a 13lb 8oz Pike out of St James last weekend!

Garth.

On the subject of winter baits, I've posted this before...

With regard to flavours, it is/was generally perceived that Carp prefer acidic flavours (sweet, spice and fruit) during the winter months as opposed to alkaline flavours (savoury, fish) during summer months. This was because during the winter (on a stillwater) the heavy rain, being acidic, will lower the pH of the water and Carp will show a preference to acidic flavours (sweet, spice and fruit).

However, this theory is seen to be flawed in that the pH value of the water changes from swim to swim, let alone stillwater to stillwater! For example the pH of rotting leaves in swim, say under a tree, will be very different to the pH of a gravely swim in open water.

In my experience I've found that some flavours work better on one particular water, yet will be completely useless on another, regardless of the season. Now, whether that is down to the pH of the water, I don't know.

Take care,

Garth.