MOTORISTS GUARANTEED ‘NO’ SPEEDING FINES

Elton

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All cars are equipped with a device that can regulate the speed of the vehicle. It's called the driver. If you don't want a speeding ticket then don't exceed the speedlimit.

Good point but what is the speed limit? ....... Ive often found myself on a road unsure of what the limit is, especially where the local council has a different limuit every 100 yards! A GPS that told me what the limit is would be all I want, that way I can concentrate on looking for hazards rather than looking for speed signs and cameras. In the meantime I have a Road Angel. I do not intentially speed but have been grateful for the reminders when its bleeped to tell me that there is a camera that I am near a school, or a blackspot. I like many others do not use them to speed with impunity on the contrary we use it to make sure we drive more safely.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

I have a sat nav, and i think its a good thing, some times u dont see a cam till late...the u break hard...its not a case of people speeding, but the warning 200 m or so before u get there and that your speed is to hi..

so anyhting that makes people break a bit more slowly, than just jamming the brakes on because they have just noticed it between the trees,,well im for the sat nav.

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

im against these things its encourging people to speed, i see these devices as

"speed all you want and then slow down when we warn you of a speed camera"

its just gonna give speeders/boy racers a better chance to speed without being caught, not good for us im affraid

what about a them girl racers that hang about glasgow " the posh end " ie Milton, and Easterhouse , :yeah: LOL,

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Surely not! It beeps and flashes to warn you of an accident blackspot. There might coincidentally be a camera there too, of course, because that's where they put cameras... :P

Actually, that's not quite true. The database on my TomTom includes places where mobile cameras are often used, and as the restriction on the locations of fixed cameras does not apply to mobile one they tend to be found where ever lots of people consider the limit to be below the safe speed for the road. Ironically, this means that they are often found on the safest bits of road, not the most dangerous. I've seen the local scamera vans enforcing the 30mph limit in my village only once. Less than a mile away is a bridge over the dual carriageway, one of their regular haunts. The people doing 40mph down the high street are much more likely to kill someone than the people doing 80 on the dual carriageway, but there are more fines to be raked in sitting on the motorway bridge than outside the local school.

I have the garmin sat nav, and their site also has the data base for mobile cams as well.. i have a 90 trial version..and i thinks its great...and i also think, if a beeps tells u there is a cam there...i would rather slow down and save myself 3 points....as for the speeding. 99 percent of us drive on average 10mph over the speed limit anyway...till my sat nav tells me there is a cam ahead,,i update it every day...

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

Dunno why that ain't been done Colin???

Sounds the best idea going.

There have been trials of systems, but it isn't a trivial thing to do, technically. It's easy to dream up the bare bones of how it would work, but the devil is in the detail. You've either got some kind of tag and beacon system with gateways, in which case you have an absolutely enormous number of electronic gateways to maintain at every change in speed limit, every side road, etc, or else you need some kind of GPS based system. With GPS you get problems where roads with different speed limits run very close together or even pass one under the other, and you would need either to have continuous communication with a mapping system (infeasible) or else you have to have very regular updates to deal with changing or temporary limits.

There are also other issues with any kind of speed limiter system; the first is that when trialled they tend to adversely alter driver behaviour; people drive to the limiter instead of using the grey mush between their ears to choose an appropriate speed for the conditions. The second is that according to recent figures speeding (as opposed to driving too fast for the conditions) is a very minor cause of road accidents. About 5% of accidents in which someone is killed or injured are caused by speeding, compared to 12% caused by driving too fast for the conditions. We need people to think more about their speed, not to drive at the speed limit irrespective of conditions (which is what they will do with limiters).

We also need to start addressing the 95% of accidents which are not caused by speeding. There is way too much emphasis on policing what is easily measured rather than what is most important. The enormous proliferation of yellow cash machines has been accompanied by a big reduction in the number of traffic police. These days, so long as you stick to the speed limits you can drive like a complete tosser with virtually no chance of being detected. I want to see more detection by MKI eyeball. I want to see people who tailgate done for dangerous driving, six points and a big fine. I want to see middle lane hogs pulled over and given a talking to. I want to see experienced traffic officers using their judgement to stop people who are actually doing something dangerous.

(Oh, for the record, my licence is clean)

Watched an advert on TV the other night...Halfords selling Sat Nav...........fixed to windscreen in front of drivers face!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sums it all up for me (plus the neighbor who has bought it to help him find his way around..............never goes anywhere :) )

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Whatever the cause of an accident, there is nod doubt that the outcome will very much depend on the speed of the vehicle(s) involved.

(We should all know that anyone hit at 20mph will probably survive, at 30mph it's 50-50, at 40mph most will die)

In future if you are involved in an accident, the 'outcome' could be even more important, even more life-changing, as they (at long last) intend to start cracking down hard on motorists whose driving causes the death of other road users.

Along with much tougher penalties for some very common driving habits that you see everyday.

See: http://www.guardian.co.uk/mobile/article/0,,1971619,00.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

(We should all know that anyone hit at 20mph will probably survive, at 30mph it's 50-50, at 40mph most will die)

Of course. This is why I think that it is misguided of my local safety camera partnership to concentrate enforcement on the 70mph dual carriageway rather than the 30mph villages. The regulatory obsession with speed does miss the point, however, that it's better not to hit anyone at all.