The Perfect Centrepin

Elton

idea's for Anglers net centre-pin reel.

from a looks point of view i'd go for a spoked spool (aerial type) over one with holes (stanton type) as spoked design is a design that still looks good on modern made reels whereas a fasia with holes in looks dated but a spoked front is more expensive to make and needs to be ballanced and adjusted,what would be more practical is a solid front with holes for the twirlers amoungst us (those who like to use a finger as a handle.[cleanest way of describing it :oops: ] when retreaving line ) and a knarled edge for the slapper's who like to bat the drum to retreave line.plus it would need easierly removable handles.but i'd like to see something a little different rather than a stanton clone ! !,a spool with changable facias (like the okuma's) would be ideal then you could have a [mock] spoked fasia &/or solid one with holes ,but this would meen having a bearings reel. {the mock spoked facia is a idea i had to pimp my okuma,it would have a outer rim and inner hubcap thats hold in place by the two little screws on the okuma's hub and the central retaining screw would be in the classic bushing head/tip shape,with spokes and fake drag/adjuster}

a shallow spool+ deeper spare spool would be nice

spools should have a solid base but have a anchor point in it to tie your line too

a 4½ dia spool

a removable line guard (optional extra)

a good multi-disc drag system

two or three good quallity bearings (ABEC 5 or ABEC 7 ceramic hybrid bearings),one at the bottom then a spacer then a middle one then a spacer then the tip one.a bit extravagant maybe ? .

or better still a propper bushings reel would be nice.

a universal reel foot or changable (via screws) feet to suite all rod fittings

a neoprene pouch with belt clip (so it can be used too store spare spool in)

colour wise black is hard to beat but a nice metallic redish colour (simular to the browning revolver) might be nice.

oh and a certificate of authenticity and nice wooden {oak} pressentation box

and only cost about £50

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Somebody is in the early stages of making a centrepin which is going to bear the Anglers' Net name. I can't say too much, but I know that the engineering skills and equipment available to this someone are extremely good and that they not only make other angling stuff, but fish themselves.

Anyway, I'm posting here to ask what makes the perfect 'pin for you?

I can't say that this person will be able to include everything you mention, but he'll certainly take it all on board.

Over to you......

OK, so Lewtham Engineering then? :)

Anyway, my list would be:

- Either spokes or large finger-sized holes to assist retrieve

- Solid drum but drilled for lightness (similar to the Youngs Bob James) - also a small hole drilled where the line can be poked through and tied to a bead on the other side - this is the best way to attach line to a pin, so no knot can get in the way when line is peeling off the reel during trotting.

- PLAIN BEARING (ball bearing races just get grit under them!!!!!)

- 4" diameter by 1" wide drum would be my preference - ideal size for most things, whether heavy barbel or light trotting

- Handles that can be removed if preferred (I like them, others don't, give them the option)

- Removable line-guard - some will want one, some won't. Preferably one that can be easily clipped on when required, or clipped off (rather than fiddling about with screws and so on). I rarely use a line guard but on a windy day I might just prefer one!

- Not too garish colour - black, grey, purple :)

- Button operated ratchet - a lever on the rim is popular but just gives something for the line to catch on

There, do all that and you can have my order!

Another thought just struck me, Rounding off the reel stem would also be a good idea, I've damaged line more than once with my BJ by striking or trying to reel in when I hadn't noticed the line had gone around the back of the reel and was being dragged over the corners of the stem.

Mat

Look, do what I did.... SELL THE BLOOMIN' THING!

Look, do what I did.... SELL THE BLOOMIN' THING!

I'm seriously considering selling both BJ's after trying out my Okuma for the first time this weekend! Any new reel coming to the market has be be really special to beat the Okuma at that price IMHO!

Mat

Mat

BarbelBarmy, just because a reel is not hand made doesn't make it any less of a very fine tool. The same arguement revolves around 'custom' rods. If you think the fish notice then I suppose it does matter. In my cupboard of 'resting' coares reels I have a Purist, an Adcock Stanton, A Lewtham Leeds, a Hardy Silex modified for coarse angling and an Osprey. All have their strong points, and weaknesses, all catch fish, when the whim takes me to use them. Yes, I can admire the workmanship of a wonderful whatever, I can appreciate the pride of ownership, but, at the end of the day, a good reel is just a practical tool, and that is what Okuma Avantas are.

The point has been made, wisely, that it is pointless copying what is already out there. But, perhaps, take the good points from what is already good.

As I have said, I like the feature of the Osprey that allows the handles to retract into the body.

The cheapo handles of the Leeds are excellent for coarse angling, almost as good as my Grice & Young Sea-Ejectors.

The knurled rim of the Stanton is perfect, as are the ventilation holes in the face plate, ideal for putting fingers through when retrieving.

The balance of the Okuma is excellent, as is the reel foot.

The line guard of the Purist is spot on.

Colour, gun metal, or even camo :yucky:

The Silex is a true pin, and runs and runs!

Drag systems? Naaaa, 'tis what your index finger is for!

Personally I don't like spokes, 'orrible things to put fingers between when winding, and I just find the handles on the Purist are poor. In fact I just don't like the Purist at all.

The Leeds, the way the spindle comes loose from the back plate, grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The Stanton, don't like mine with the handles on. Great batting reel though.

The Osprey. Actually, not such a bad reel, unless you are trotting. Great for a fiver!

Maybe there is a market for an out and out big barbel/carp centre pin? My roach fishing approach calls for one thing, your barbel might need something else.

Mat, spot on, it will have to be special, at any price. There is a market out there for bespoke reels, and they are nice to own, but as a fishing reel Okuma has done us proud. Lets hope someone can better them, can only be good for us.

peter,here is a nice camo c/p for you,its from http://www.riverrunreels.com/Introduction_01A.html

rrcamo.jpg

Elton it might be worth a look through the pin rundown pages on the Quest outdoors centrepin forum site,for some idea's & design/looks of a few foreign centrepins to see if there's any features that might appeal

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I would try to aim for a decent centrepin that's £70 or less - anything above that and below £500, Okuma's got the market and it would be daft loyalty to buy anything else in my opinion (sorry!). Having seen one of the "sheffield"s the other day it's a bleedin' fine reel. Lack of line guard might put some off.

So, either go for the "elite", or go for a reel that would be simple, cheap, but good quality, and minimal or no plastic parts! (urgh!!)

Take the speedia - really really simple reel, probably could be knocked out for a fiver in china somewhere, yet it's a fantastic reel (nobody knows why, it just is!). Nothing fancy about it, it's just the right sort of size, spins really well, does the job.

• 1 year later...

As chavender said :

Spools should have a solid base (reduces line bedding) and have an anchor point in it to tie your line to.

And have a reel foot that is thin enough to fit todays thinner rod reel fittings/handles

or as chavender said a universal reel foot or changable (via screws) feet to suite all rod fittings

Also a thing that most c/pin reels dont have a SPARE SPOOL to allow for different lines.

And very important the spool should be lightweight as well as free running.

Plus the other attributes that have already been mentioned.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I am afraid I am not a purist as far as CP's go, I grew up using them man and boy.

I would love a spare spool, AND A QUICK RELEASE to change spools (or cast - in my case!)

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription