Gerry Castles

Vidar6

The thought of an A.N. memorial bench is a wonderful one, but inevitably there will be other ANers taking their tackle up North as time goes by.

Gerry and I didn't always see eye to eye but I had a huge respect for him. If Gerry had any family then I never heard any mention of them. Whilst I knew Gerry, met him a number of times, I can't say that I knew him well, but my guess was that AN was very much part of his family. And with that in mind I think Lyn's suggestion is excellent.

Gerry was always keen to help, maybe that, in itself, is a fitting memorial. Or should we take it further? Les Webber (have I spelt that right?) was well thought of by Gerry. Perhaps we could also look in that direction?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone wanting to pay Gerry their last respect by attending his funeral the details are as follows:

Tuesday 02/01/07 at 15.30 in the afternoon

West Norwood Crematorium

Norwood Road

West Norwood

SE27 9JU

Details of the crematorium and on how to get there by public transport can be found in the attached link.

West Norwood Crematorium

Just so we can have an idea of how many that plan to attend the funeral service it would be great if you shoot me a PM, and let me know.

Edited by Vidar6

The thought of an A.N. memorial bench is a wonderful one, but inevitably there will be other ANers taking their tackle up North as time goes by.

And so maybe if an AN bench was brought and placed at "one of our venues" (Wingham or Timsbury with the owners blessing for instance?) couldnt subsequent passing members of this internet "family"be remember on it? I for one would regard it as an imense honour to be included on such a memorial alongside the wonderfull people Ive "known" and fished with through Anglers Net.

Also after the initial outlay it would surely prove a cost effective and low maintainance memorial to good AN friends? I quite like the idea of "sitting with" Gerry, Alan or David for a few moments on fish ins.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

That's a great Idea Budge - he'd like that..........

Barry

Agreed. Maybe outside Isaac Waltons Cottage, sort of national shrine to departed friends? Still, plenty of time. Just a great idea Budgie.

Edited by Peter Waller

And so maybe if an AN bench was brought and placed at "one of our venues" (Wingham or Timsbury with the owners blessing for instance?) couldnt subsequent passing members of this internet "family"be remember on it? I for one would regard it as an imense honour to be included on such a memorial alongside the wonderfull people Ive "known" and fished with through Anglers Net.

Also after the initial outlay it would surely prove a cost effective and low maintainance memorial to good AN friends? I quite like the idea of "sitting with" Gerry, Alan or David for a few moments on fish ins.

Great idea. Count me in for a donation. The only time I met him on a river was at Timsbury, but wherever you folks think is appropriate. Somewhere AN'ers are likely to pass by with a pint of maggots or a lure sounds good :)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.