Sea angling monthly

Martin Hurst

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for those who dont want to waste their money on a pile of adverts.

Be aware of the dangers

I would like to point out that there are dangers as well as pleasures in kayak fishing.

It needs to be pointed out that these craft are for inshore fishing only , not 3 or 4 miles out because they are more likely to capsize in bigger swells offshore.

with no fixed radio - and few anglers would take a hand held radio with them - it is less likely they would be rescued.

The accident stats for these crafts are going to rise before long without some form of warning or education

The editor says : I have considered running kayak fishing stories but am worried about the safety issues. I skipper a 17ft boat and can fish in a couple of feet of water and nose my way around rocks in perfect safety , so I cant see the advantages of going to sea in a cockleshell . Certainly it may be fun but from the safety point of view it does raise question marks

Ok Prowler 13

Have to say that I've been very disappointed with Sea Angler over the last few months, so much so that I no longer buy it, they're ignorance of our sport and lack of willingness to even find out more amazes me. Ah well there's always chucking a lead across a field to write about, now there's a nice safe sport... <_<

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Love it when idiots knock something before they even try it :yeah:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Well unless we are to be allowed a rebuttal, might as well ignore the tw*t <_<

mr russ does not even know that we sit on not in our yaks. double tw*t

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

I would like to point out that there are dangers as well as pleasures in kayak fishing.

It needs to be pointed out that these craft are for inshore fishing only , not 3 or 4 miles out because they are more likely to capsize in bigger swells offshore.

with no fixed radio - and few anglers would take a hand held radio with them - it is less likely they would be rescued.

The accident stats for these crafts are going to rise before long without some form of warning or education

The editor says : I have considered running kayak fishing stories but am worried about the safety issues. I skipper a 17ft boat and can fish in a couple of feet of water and nose my way around rocks in perfect safety , so I cant see the advantages of going to sea in a cockleshell . Certainly it may be fun but from the safety point of view it does raise question marks

What a load of twoddle.

"more likely to capsize in bigger swells offshore"

Where I come from the biggest swells are inshore, it only builds when it hits shallow inshore water. Get offshore to cleaner waves.

"with no fixed radio "

A hand held in an aquapac is better than fixed unit in a sunk boat !

"and few anglers would take a hand held radio with them "

How would you know ? Carried out some sort of survey we don't know about !

"The accident stats for these crafts are going to rise before long "

Crystal ball journalism...

"I skipper a 17ft boat"

And when was the last time you went to sea wearing a full dry suit with a pfd and flares in your top pocket. Fully prepared to take a dunk.

"can fish in a couple of feet of water and nose my way around rocks in perfect safety "

On a fine day I take it, when there is less than 23" of swell running.

"so I cant see the advantages of going to sea in a cockleshell "

Open your eyes , think about it, running costs, accessibility, environmental issues,,to mention but a few.

Horses for courses I would say.

Don't knock it if you can't be bothered to try it out first. :nono:

Neil.

Edited by Neil

Sounds like there'll be something remotely interesting to read tomorrow night then while the missus is filling the trolley :D

I know when me and Phooey contacted them in the summer with our Tope pics, we got a negative response. I spoke to Cliff Browne, the assistant editor, and he was quite keen but did say that Mel wasn't interested in doing any kayak related stories. Seems we've found out the reason now :(

I do think though that if we want to get any recognition, from what is after all the main Sea Angling mag on the stands, then slagging them off on the forum isn't the way to go, and a few emails or letters to the editor outlining what we're about would have a more positive impact.

I do think the magazine has gone downhill over the last few years and even now pick up the older copies to have a read through before the glossy, all colour advertisement ridden editions of recent years. The writers of twenty years ago (John Darling, Mike Ladle, Bruce Macmillen etc) were far more informative and wrote with a style that is somehow missing today, which is why I tend to read it in Tescos' and only buy it if there is something worthwhile inside.

The leaning towards the "How to cast a mile" and " How to tie a two hook flapper with loads of beads on the snood" to catch a six inch Pout, has become the norm, and a bit boring, to say the least. A few letters or emails to Mr Russ written in a polite manner explaining the pros of kayak fishing might just tip him over the edge and we'll get an article out of him. Spanners Skate deserves to be seen by a wider audience than our forums and TSF and BFM can give them, and I reckon ( although I don't know him) Dave Lewis could be talked into having a trip out with us sometime.

Then again we might just say "Fu%^ It" and get on with what we're doing and enjoy the peace and quiet. :clap2:

nifty :)