Sea angling monthly

Martin Hurst

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like there'll be something remotely interesting to read tomorrow night then while the missus is filling the trolley :D

I know when me and Phooey contacted them in the summer with our Tope pics, we got a negative response. I spoke to Cliff Browne, the assistant editor, and he was quite keen but did say that Mel wasn't interested in doing any kayak related stories. Seems we've found out the reason now :(

I do think though that if we want to get any recognition, from what is after all the main Sea Angling mag on the stands, then slagging them off on the forum isn't the way to go, and a few emails or letters to the editor outlining what we're about would have a more positive impact.

I do think the magazine has gone downhill over the last few years and even now pick up the older copies to have a read through before the glossy, all colour advertisement ridden editions of recent years. The writers of twenty years ago (John Darling, Mike Ladle, Bruce Macmillen etc) were far more informative and wrote with a style that is somehow missing today, which is why I tend to read it in Tescos' and only buy it if there is something worthwhile inside.

The leaning towards the "How to cast a mile" and " How to tie a two hook flapper with loads of beads on the snood" to catch a six inch Pout, has become the norm, and a bit boring, to say the least. A few letters or emails to Mr Russ written in a polite manner explaining the pros of kayak fishing might just tip him over the edge and we'll get an article out of him. Spanners Skate deserves to be seen by a wider audience than our forums and TSF and BFM can give them, and I reckon ( although I don't know him) Dave Lewis could be talked into having a trip out with us sometime.

Then again we might just say "Fu%^ It" and get on with what we're doing and enjoy the peace and quiet. :clap2:

nifty :)

Well said Nifty, couldn't agree more :yeah:

There's definately summet to be said for attracting more people to the sport.....if it raises the profile of inshore fishing as a valuable resource.....with the ultimate goal of protecting the inshore waters from all the different pressures (the list is endlest :wallbash: !).

I've read Sea Angler for as long as I can remember and have noticed the same.

Imagine if there were loads of Yaks on the water...still be pretty peaceful on the water :love: . Maybe not on the dock or in the pub!! :drunk:

Don't know anything about this Mel Russ guy, is the world flat?? I dunno... :blink:

Suppose we'll sea :lol:

Malibu 2

I read the letter last night as well and its a shame to see such ignorance. I don't blame the initial writer, he is entitled to his opinion, but an editor should at least get some facts correct before agreeing with him.

As Neil pointed out, the surf zone is the most likely place to take a spill not the longer swell further out.

A kayak is no more dangerous than a boat.

Carrying safety equipment like a VHF and flares, being correctly dressed, including a PFD, and staying within your limits, i.e. fit enough to manage the paddling, all come down to personal responsibility, and have nothing to do with the vessel concerned.

Yes, we are more vulnerable to weather and tides than a boat, so you have to plan accordingly.

Mel Russ could have pointed out a few things......

If kayaks should not be used more than a mile offshore then how is it that sea touring kayaks cross oceans and regularly make passages to the Scottish islands of more than 20 miles.

Kayaks are immune to some serious hazards to boats.....

...like hull damage, not much chance of holeing a yak by hitting part submerged debris at 20mph

...like getting rope wrapped around a prop

...like engine failure

How many boats have no backup engine, dont carry enough spare fuel, don't have VHF, and are basically unseaworthy?

How often does Mel wear his lifejacket?

If he is concerned enough about the safety aspects then surely he should cover it the magazine to raise awareness instead of ignoring it. That amounts to culpable neglect.

I shall be emailing him to express my concern at his response.

Edited by spanner

Have to agree eventually someone is going to come a cropper - but you take as many precautions as you reasonably can and balance that with the risk and enjoyment you get from any activity.

Thats just as true of 30 foot charters as kayaks.

So far for me NOTHING beats the feeling of sitting there with 3" of freeboard hanging onto your arcing rod while a Welsh Tope strips 150 yards off your reel then jumps clear of the water !

I've never felt more 'alive' than when the first clicks register the start of the take and the adrenaline kicks in.

I'm happy to be ignored.

There's NO WAY they're having this much fun :thumbs:

Edited by phooey

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Have to say that I've been very disappointed with Sea Angler over the last few months, so much so that I no longer buy it, they're ignorance of our sport and lack of willingness to even find out more amazes me. Ah well there's always chucking a lead across a field to write about, now there's a nice safe sport... <_<

Here's one company that will be voting with it's wallet.

Nothing hurts an editor or owner more than magazines & advertising space that don't sell!

Regards

Andrew

Johnson Outdoors

I read the letter and MR's reply last night. :angry: I've never had much time for MR. The ignorance and lack of interest I expected....the mockery (ref "cockleshells") was disappointing from the editor of the self-proclaimed "leading" sea angling monthly. :angry:

I for one will vote with my wallet and will no longer buy his magazine.

Mike

:)

I gave up buying Sea Angler years ago.

Its just a mag for Tackle dealers to advertise and the same old faces with trophy catches and photos.Even the tips from so called match fishermen are repeated year in year out.

How many Kayak accidents have we seen on the news and papers compared to Boat accidents(Just in the last week alone)

The thing they forgett is that Kayak fishermen are properly dressed for the conditions and are wearing boyancy aids.How many pics of Boat anglers or shore anglers around rocky dangerous cliffs and rocks have you seen in Sea Angler mag wearing any safety gear???

Very few.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif