Sea angling monthly

Martin Hurst

Not bought any magazines for years, to be honest didn't see the point once the internet got going, online communities like this and Anglersafloat would appear to be the way to go.

As for magazine write-ups, I'm quite happy for them to put their point of view, however misguided or well intentioned it may be. The few that are put-off by a poorly researched article may well be no loss.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One big advantage is that I can strap the yak to my car, drive to almost any beach or piece of river, take it off the roof and launch. I can go anywhere that I need, i can go quietly without spooking fish, and I can beach it anywhere if conditions worsen (that sounds like a great safety feature to me) - I don't need to find a harbour to get out of the sea.

How many weeks ago was a man lost from the beach in my town of Lowestoft?

Luddites.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

One big advantage is that I can strap the yak to my car, drive to almost any beach or piece of river, take it off the roof and launch. I can go anywhere that I need, i can go quietly without spooking fish, and I can beach it anywhere if conditions worsen (that sounds like a great safety feature to me) - I don't need to find a harbour to get out of the sea.

How many weeks ago was a man lost from the beach in my town of Lowestoft?

Luddites.

sent mr russ a mail , i dought he will read it ,we will see . when my subs expire i too will ditch it . will look for a yak friendly mag . i use todays flyfisher as it covers salt as well as fresh ,ditched trout fisherman as that went stale and did not cover the full range . the mag that is put in with hook orders from the US are good. i would rather a smaller mag full of good stuff than a bumper issue full of c**p

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Was it just me or did I see Hobie advertising in the mag a few months?

I am pretty commercialy minded but there is ethics even in business.

SA just lost a reader.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Sea Angler is a backward thinking pile of horseshit

We in BASS have been trying to get our message across for years and are completely ignored. I love it when Alan Yates replied to a question send in by a reader "Can you give me some advice on starting saltwater fly fishing" Yates replied that you shouldnt bother as it was the reserve of game anglers who want to make life hard for themselves. What an idiot. How would he know, all he ever does is lob bait at the horizon and wind in 500 2" pout in a match somwhere and yet he is always answering the bass fishing questions.

I complained bitterly about this and got naff all back

We should all vote with our feet and stop buying this crappy rag, looks as though most of has already have. C'mon when was the last time you ever learnt anything from one of their articles which all follow the same format anyway:-

-I went fishing

- I took some gear (usually from a sponser)

- We caught some fish (on undisclosed rigs, because we dont want you knowing our secrets)

- We went home

Honestly, all of their artcles read like a five year olds diary, Total sea fishing is a bit better, but i have always thought there is room for a sport fishing mag, that deals with yaks, plugging, fly fishing, light gear fishing for the bigger species, conservation, sciencey stuff etc etc

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network

Sorry, but I think your all being a little hard on the poor OLD Sea Angler rag.

I think for many years they held the top slot as far as Sea fishing mags were concerned.

However in recent years they seem to have taken a back seat in the ratings.

Maybe this is due to whoever not wanting to accept change, and different ideas from other avenues surrounding Sea Angling.

The result of that maybe the shortsightedness and ignorance being displayed now by some parties .

Kayakfishing in the U.K. has grown at a steady rate, and is now recognised outside of the forums, via other Fishing Mags.

We have had nothing but positive press regarding our attitude towards safty, and the attention we pay to our preperations before a trip.

We have had NO accidents amoungst us due to the care we take, not only of ourselves, but for each other.

So sit back happy in the knowledge that our sport is going forward successfully and safly.

Also take time out and give thought to poor OLD Sea Angler, who appears to be going nowhere.

Bill :)

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

unfortunately, our sport is open to be knocked by wallys, but thats all they are is wallys who don't know **** from dirty pudding, and havent done there homework first, all we can do is get out there catch more fish and tell them about it. My fishing has improved tenfold since taking up yakking, I'll never forget driting across Barafundle bay with GB off W Wales, priceless.

Hell hath no fury like a yakker scorned. :headhurt: Hate to think what you'd be like if he insulted your mother. ;)

Seriously though chaps, be careful what you wish for. I'm one of those salty fluff-flinging nutters and for ages we all wished the angling press would take us seriously. The FF mags ran a series of articles this year. No coincidence we got crowded off marks we used to rarely see another soul at, by total numpties with a flyrod (Not you Starvin! :P ). The sea is a big place, but we all know how localised the good fishing can be. Get your sport popularised in the glossies and before you know it someone will be hogging your favouite spots. They wont have used any skill or put any legwork in to find these spots. It will be because they saw you fishing there.

SO, how do we go about starting a nice Kayak Angling mag? Someone could clean up!

People do like magazines, otherwise there wouldn't be hundreds of them about.

OK, lots are rubbish, but they sell. A really good well informed kayak angling mag would be a hit, and it's a fast growing sport. I bet it won't be too long before we see one appear on the shelf. There must be thousands of shore anglers who would be converts. I only landed on a beach near a bloke fishing, he came over and had a look at the kayak, and said he must get one! Most anglers only want to get a few hundred yards off shore.

How about a fishing kayak store?? Nothing but good fishing kayaks, plus all the gear, from clothing to rods etc.

Anyone with start up money could make a nice business.

I'm tempted.

Market is too limited at present to make it a going concern in my opinion. You could perhaps do it web-based as a newsletter to begin with until it got more popular - but you have to have advertisers (and staff) and they want a decent audience before investing.

Lets say, for example, that 'Cockleshellheroes.com' gave £500 for an advert. If they didn't get a reponse from it, how often would they pay for one? If they sold 5 yaks each issue (assuming a profit of £100 per yak), would it be worth it? And who would read it? Those who already own yaks. So then it goes to the tackle companies. You want to expand and get into the mainstream, ie the high street, so to fund that size of print run you need loads of advertisers to pay your costs.....see where I'm going with that one? And then what articles can you do? Say you put in a dozen articles per issue (which you'd have to pay people to write) how long before they are repetitive? Not wishing to put a damper on things but i don't think you'd make any money right now with UK yakkers.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.