Sea angling monthly

Martin Hurst

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SERIOUS ACCIDENT will happen shortly - to a kayak angler. I suppose you are right in your thinking - and hopefully it will be ONE individual (I actually hope it won't be anyone at all) as opposed to the small boat tragedies that occur EVERY year with several people being lost at one time from one boat - last month it was a team of 3 off Cumbria, and then there were a couple of lads in Portland Race, just two recent incidents that spring immediately to mind - but I suppose those don't count to Sea Angler, because they happen all the time.

Get ONE kayak incident and you watch the roof go up.....

Instructors at Glenmore Lodge, Scotland's National Training Centre, reckon demand for sea kayak instruction has increased every year for five years and a trade association estimate puts participation up 25% over the same period. Visit Scotland recently studied which adventure sports held the most potential for overseas visitors, and sea kayaking was in the top three. No-one really knows why, but its popularity growing fast.

Given this information it would appear that there are far more people involved in Sea Kayaking than the people at Sea Angler realise

and coupled with Simon's comment even a simpleton can see that we have a far better safety record than other "boaters"

OTHERWISE WE WOULD HAVE HEARD ABOUT IT!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Happy New Year to you all from sunny spain. I have read with interest all the comments about kayak fishing and Sea Angler. I am based down in Southern Spain and do not have access to the magazine on a regular basis. What exactly was written. I am a journalist and professional fisherman and alongside my freshwater and shore fishing holidays and courses have just launched the first kayak fishing holiday business down here. The Mediterranean is perfect for the sport and safety is of the paramount importance as with any form of fishing. My sites are www.garysmithfishing.com and www.kayakfishingspain.com

It would be interesting to know what caused such a response.

Gary Smith

Thanks Martin

I was just about to spend some hard earned cash with them on advertising but will find other ways.

I think reading through all the messages that enough now has been said but good luck to all you kayaking anglers out there and I am sure you will keep safe.

Gary Smith

Gary Smith

Crowle North Lincolnshire UK / Maldives / Puerto De Mazarron Murcia Spain

Gary Smith Fishing

Maldives Fishing Holidays

Fishing 7 Lakes

Thanks Martin

I was just about to spend some hard earned cash with them on advertising but will find other ways.

I think reading through all the messages that enough now has been said but good luck to all you kayaking anglers out there and I am sure you will keep safe.

Gary Smith

I stumbled upon your web pages a few days back Gary. I found you through a link from http://www.fliesonline.co.uk/ It looks good, you certainly have the weather for the job over there. Try Boat fishing Monthly for advertising, seems to be more Kayak friendly.

Neil.

Edited by Neil

Magazines like numbers so how about these from AN alone

- Kayak forum is fairly new - May 2005 started.

- 1750+ topics and at least 1/4 of those or more have questions & answers about with which equipment to buy for rigging a Yak for fishing and for safety. I'd guess the figure is more like 1/3 than 1/4 but I haven't looked closely enough to be sure.

- In the past year, this forum has more than half as many views as the regular sea forum. While views includes many posters who have looked on the forum many times, that still equates to huge numbers of product recommendations for suits, floatation devices, sonars, rods, reels, lures, and the whole gamut of angling related products.

I'd have to say that any publication that lightly bashes this fast growing sport is not doing themselves any favours. "Fast Growing" equates to lots of anglers needing to buy lots of goodies.

On a personal note, I can remember when we had a couple of very long running topics in the sea forum dealing with Yaks and were trying to decide if there was enough interest to justify a seperate forum. Guess there is no doubt now that the answer was a resounding YES.

This topic is the first one we moved from Sea Fishing to kick off the new forum. It will look strange to our newer folk since it was created when we had a much older version of the forum software and any topic over 6 pages caused major performance issues so we closed them and started a 'continuation' topic like the one in the link. If you take a look at it you can see some of the folks who were pushing for a Yak forum back in those days. From memory, I think Yakity Yak (Bill) was probably the biggest thorn in my side about creating this place but only just barely the biggest. Well done to you folks. :D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Magazines like numbers so how about these from AN alone

- Kayak forum is fairly new - May 2005 started.

- 1750+ topics and at least 1/4 of those or more have questions & answers about with which equipment to buy for rigging a Yak for fishing and for safety. I'd guess the figure is more like 1/3 than 1/4 but I haven't looked closely enough to be sure.

- In the past year, this forum has more than half as many views as the regular sea forum. While views includes many posters who have looked on the forum many times, that still equates to huge numbers of product recommendations for suits, floatation devices, sonars, rods, reels, lures, and the whole gamut of angling related products.

I'd have to say that any publication that lightly bashes this fast growing sport is not doing themselves any favours. "Fast Growing" equates to lots of anglers needing to buy lots of goodies.

On a personal note, I can remember when we had a couple of very long running topics in the sea forum dealing with Yaks and were trying to decide if there was enough interest to justify a seperate forum. Guess there is no doubt now that the answer was a resounding YES.

This topic is the first one we moved from Sea Fishing to kick off the new forum. It will look strange to our newer folk since it was created when we had a much older version of the forum software and any topic over 6 pages caused major performance issues so we closed them and started a 'continuation' topic like the one in the link. If you take a look at it you can see some of the folks who were pushing for a Yak forum back in those days. From memory, I think Yakity Yak (Bill) was probably the biggest thorn in my side about creating this place but only just barely the biggest. Well done to you folks. :D :D

interesting read newt , by the way is glasgodan still around or has he sunk in his super safe boat lol. nice bit of forum history though . i think yak fishing is going forward only hope i do not get too old before i have had a good shot at it . only got mine mid summer so this will be my first full year .

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

interesting read newt , by the way is glasgodan still around or has he sunk in his super safe boat lol. nice bit of forum history though . i think yak fishing is going forward only hope i do not get too old before i have had a good shot at it . only got mine mid summer so this will be my first full year .

I had to laugh when I saw GlasgowDans posts....Didnt he buy a Kayak last year?I am sure I read somewhere he had bought one :rolleyes:

zzippy2.gif

Thanks Martin

Gary Smith

Thanks Neil

It is good down here, it is just a matter of letting anglers know it is all here for them.

Fliesonline owner Ron Sharp is here fishing with me at the moment, he is lathering himself with sun cream which amuses me greatly as it is only seventy in the shade at the moment. Still he did land over a hundred trout today!

Seriously though, I am trying to make kayak fishing here something for anglers of all experience and method to enjoy. The Mediterranean is perfect most of the time and obviously safety is of the paramount importance.

Thank you for your advice I will try and locate a copy.

Gary Smith

Gary Smith

Crowle North Lincolnshire UK / Maldives / Puerto De Mazarron Murcia Spain

Gary Smith Fishing

Maldives Fishing Holidays

Fishing 7 Lakes