• Ivan Marks
    • Matt Hayes
    • Bob Nudd
    • Chris Yates
    • Billy Lane
    • Bernard Venables
    • Dick Clegg
    • Benny Ashurst

The angling times this week have published the top 50 anglers of all time. above is the top 10 of those fifty anglers.

Vote now on who you believe is the greatest angler of alltime voted by us the members of anglers net.

top 10-

1- John Wilson

2- Dick Walker

3- Ivan Marks

4- Matt Hayes

5- Bob Nudd

6- Chris Yates

7- Billy Lane

8- Bernard Venables

9- Dick Clegg

10- Benny Ashurst

84854438.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but you miss loads of people out.

For me it's Marguerite Hantche or Denise Milton. One taught me to fish (my granny) and the other taught me to catch (my aunt). My Grandpa stanley first set me on the road to pike (though he wasn't a fisherman). Oh, and my aunt had at least one record.

More famous people? Well, Gord Burton made me laugh and Wilson's laugh made me laugh. Nudd I always knew as a name but can't recall anything about. But none of the famous people have inspired my fishing.

For inspiration, perhaps Joyce Yallop takes some beating.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

So being world champion four times in the last few years doesn't make the list, but a numpty in front of a camera is number one?

Don't see any game fishermen in there, or sea anglers for that matter.

I shan't bother.

Regards, Clive

What makes great?

Wilson is certainly better known to more than say Walker and I should imagine has caught better fish but has he added to angling like Walker did? Venables literature will be just as known /respected as part of anglings history as Waltons is but is he a "great angler"? The numerous matchmen mentioned have certainly added to angling with the various methods they have developed and their results have certainly bore testament to their ability,but which would be the greatest?

As said where are the sea or game anglers? A lot of far more deserving candidates have also been missed,why? Surely the likes of Fed J Taylor, Bill Keal,Peter Stone and several other old timers not to mention modern greats such as Martin Bowler,Tony Lampard etc etc deserve more of a mention than some on the list?

No it all depends on what your/the interpretation of great is? maybe before we ask who we should vote on what?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Just thought - I hope Dick Clegg gets to number one. I have a 100% match record against him - played one, won one, lost none, drawn none. Now what a story that would be for the grandkids. B)

Vote Clegg! :rolleyes:

Edited by Nicepix

Regards, Clive

This kind of poll can only work in print, where we're told what the answer is - as soon as it's interactive and there's a choice, the choice has to be completely open. Restricting it to a few well-known names makes it a popularity contest. Still, the well-known angler who has had the most direct influence on my fishing life is John Wilson. As for the 'greatest angler of all time' - neither me or Rex Hunt are on the list, so I suppose it'll have to be that cad Walker :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It may be heretical but I have never rated Walker that highly as an all round angler; he did not travel abroad he was no sea angler and as such he does not float my boat.

Why are there no foreign anglers on the list? Newt will confirm there are great anglers in the US that have been overlooked.

It’s more of a beauty contest for the usual names.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.