• Billy Lane
    • Bernard Venables
    • Dick Clegg
    • Benny Ashurst

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for those on the list, but all the TV programmes and magazine features I've done myself have been fished on club or day ticket fisheries using my own tackle. Catching under these conditions isn't easy, especially when you've got a camera in your earhole and a lot of extra disturbance is being made!

I remember a couple of years ago doing a video/dvd, we needed some close up shots of trout actually taking the fly. We organised to film these shots in a hatchery, flyfishing for the brood stock (with no bends/point left on the hook). We spent 4 hours trying to get fish to take either wet or dry flies, dozens of patterns....Do you think we could get any to rise to the flies? There was no way we could! And without blowing my own trumpet, I've fished internationally. We ended up tossing single floating pellets in, filming the trout taking these and editing the pictures to replace 'flies' where the pellets were. Remember also, you cannot film constantly, batteries run down, tapes run out, camera angles need changing.....you could catch a dozen fish and miss all of them on film :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

That's why 99% of wildlife documentaries are faked.

I can't remember how many shots it took to nail this one, but it was a lot......

obj4geo4pg1p28.jpg

Steve,

you forgot to add to that,

fishing when t suits the camera crew not the fishing

being stuck to a pre arranged day rather than when the conditions will be right

presenters that fluff their lines up so often that it leaves you with little time

stops for lunch!!

yeah fishing for the cameras is easy :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

I don't see how anyone can be regarded as "the greatest angler". It would make more sense if it was a poll to find the most influential writer or broadcaster. Even then I expect the result would just depend on the age or experience of the voters.

In my opinion, anyone who makes a living out of fishing has completely missed the point, and therefore can't be regarded as a "great angler"!

In my opinion, anyone who makes a living out of fishing has completely missed the point, and therefore can't be regarded as a "great angler"!

What point is that? :huh: ........I think I've missed it :unsure:

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

The difference between this poll and the Angling Times one is that the AT was after 'Angling Legends'. This is the 'Greatest Angler'. There is an enormous difference. Chris Yates and Bernard Venables are not in my top ten of greatest anglers but would be in top 5 of legends.

For greatest anglers, there are quite a few that would qualify but are not listed. Those listed are mostly coarse anglers so can hardly be described as the greatest anglers.

Edited by Waveney One

I don't see how anyone can be regarded as "the greatest angler". It would make more sense if it was a poll to find the most influential writer or broadcaster. Even then I expect the result would just depend on the age or experience of the voters.

I agree, and I don't see my Uncle Ralph on the list either.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote