'Bog standard' free running rigs

bingo

I'm quite new to sea fishing and fish from the shore. 99% of the rigs I see in books or in shops seem very complicated to me (bells and whistles etc) so I just end up using a free running rig with a 2 foot hooklength. The pre-made rigs I've bought have all tangled within a couple or casts ( I guess on the retrieve?). Are free running rigs the norm?

Do rigs even matter? Or is it location and timing?

If anyone could point me in the direction of a website where I can find some simple yet effective rigs I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Bingo

IMHO there's far to many Xmas trees out there being used as rigs. Beads/swivels/clips/silicon tubing/more beads etc etc.

I honestly think, keep it simple, the less gizmo's the better.

I rarely use anything other than a simple running ledger. It's quick and easy to tie right there on the beach or the rocks. No fiddling about with bait clips that might or might not release your hook when they land. if you lose it you've only lost a couple of swivels, a bead, a lead and a hook. It catches fish, what more do you need? I can understand the tiddler-snatchers, oops, I mean match anglers, using multi hook rigs when fishing for a biggest bag comp but otherwise I think you are better off with one big bait. Same scent trail but less to tangle.