Thailand

anglerette

Any point in taking my freshwater fly gear to Thailand this February? I can justify dragging a 5-piece fly rod and a few flies around, but not much more given the heat. It'll give me something to do while my other half visits the "sights" of Bangkok and Pattaya (or so he would have me believe).

I noticed you have not had any responses. I have no idea, but a suggestion, see if you can find a Swedish site, one think i discovered over there working since may is that Thailand is very very big in Sweden as a holiday destination. Should not be a problem either because everyone there seems to speak better (more correct) english than we do. Not true in Finland I discovered.

Any point in taking my freshwater fly gear to Thailand this February? I can justify dragging a 5-piece fly rod and a few flies around, but not much more given the heat. It'll give me something to do while my other half visits the "sights" of Bangkok and Pattaya (or so he would have me believe).

Regards

Topnotchblanker

http://fishingeverywhere.spaces.live.com/

Hi Anglerette,

Absolutely. You can have great fun in the rivers, just do not fish close to the temples as the fish take on sacred significance. The easiest is to target the local catfish. Chum them up with a bag of bread then use a bread fly a la mullet / carp. Strong fighters up to about 12lb. You can also fish the coast but the fish are not as big nor as plentiful as in the rivers. When the other half does a temple trip, ask the local guide if you can fish just downstream of the temple borders - the fish literally line up. For some piscatorial visual excitement, take a trip to the summer palace (no fishing!) and check out the carp, catfish and some other local species that visitors line up to feed.

Tight lines.

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Hi Anglerette

I would say no.

A spinning rod with a few lures will do

take a couple of floats and hooks for the rivers in Bangkok

the fish will eat any bait but you need to make it sink fast

otherwise the fry will maul it as soon as it touches the water!

Loads of boat fishing off Pattaya

Tight Lines, and keep your other half on one!

Have you perhaps thought about contacting Jean-Francois HELIAS through his web site? I know for example several of our Club members have targeted Barramundi with him on the fly from one of the stocked private lakes about 30 kilometres from Bangkok. The lake is featured in this article.