Wingham Fish-In Sat Apr 25th to Mon Apr 27th

Steve Burke

True, thanks Steve!

I would have loved to have tried for a place but i'ts a long way to travel on your jacksy. If someone else had been up for it from round here then I would have tried for a place...maybe next year.

I'm planning a 3 pronged approach, worm on one rod, maggot feeder on 2nd and a method feeder/boilie on the 3rd

If eels are a problem might switch to three method rods overnight!

Have ordered a tub of lobs from Steve, 2kilos of banoffee boilies from eBay, leaving maggots till last minute as I don't have a fridge!

Main job left to do in preparation is newline on all three reels, I hate that job :(

Also going to bring a float rod, I'd love a really big tench on waggler/pin tactics

Mat

Mat

Well I have an invite, so I will be up in the loft at the weekend and dusting off my Coarse Gear, I will also see if I can root out something for the bailiffs auction.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Matt you've pretty much just explained my tactics although I won't be bringing any boilies. I've done so well on maggot feeders in the past that this will be my main line of attack depending on how far out I'm fishing. If I'm fishing more than 30 yards then I'll probably change over to method feeders or solid bags but for close in work I struggle to find a better tactic. If the perch haven't spawned then I'll fish one rod on worm while the other will be on fake grubs.

I'm not a fan of eels at all so all 3 rods will probably go over to method feeders and plastic corn for the night hoping that I can trip up one of those elusive dustbin lids.

I'm going to see what the weather is doing before I decide on qty of bait as I have had some cracking results at Wingham by filling it in on the last day but only if the weather is right. I remember a couple of years ago when I was fishing Tim's point and I was blanking until the Monday when the pressure started to drop like a stone and the wind picked up. I felt that it was right for some bait so I put 2 kilo of red crumb/expo mix with some freebies with the spomb after the lunch time BBQ and they switched on. I ended up with 3 tench by the time we packed up and a double take to boot.

I'm so looking forward to this but I do feel so unprepared this year as I haven't sorted any gear as yet and everything is 120 miles away in the Midlands at the minute so I could be borrowing more than a bivvy at this rate .

Effort equals reward!!

Dear all,

Please make sure you take enough warm gear! I've fished through really heavy frosts in May at Wingham.

The fish don't mind I've always caught even when it's bloody freezing but it's amazing how cold you get if you are unprepared.

I used to sleep in my full thermal suit right into the end of May!

Take my advice take the clothes you would wear in January and put them all on at night!!

Better to have them and be too hot then not have them and have a cold miserable sleepless night!

Rich

Edited by Kappa
  • Like 3

I remember the first year that myself and Cliff fished Wingham. We were very 'green' back then and had very basic camping gear. I had a single skin bivvy, a 2 season sleeping back from Argos and no thermal clothes. The first night was below freezing and I don't think I slept at all that night! Second night I was wearing all the clothes I had with me and was still cold.

Lesson learnt!!

Effort equals reward!!

Yes very good points about keeping warm! It'll be hard to enjoy it if you're too cold. I expect it will feel surprisingly cold at night, even if it's hot in the day.

I think I will be fishing lobs on all rods during the day (and float fishing if the swim is suitable) with mainly perch in mind, switching over to mini bolt rigs and fake baits at night for tench and (maybe!) bream. I don't expect to be feeding much but will keep each swim topped up with a little groundbait and maggots. In the past I've had good perch from swims prepared for tench and bream so I don't think I need to fish separate spots for the different species, except perhaps a perch-specific spot right in the margins if they're deep.

The other thing I'm doing differently is having the perch rods all made up ready to go so I can get baits in the water ASAP on arrival. I'll then sort out the proper feature finding and baiting later on once I think any morning feeding spell has passed.

Then up before dawn each day to switch the rods back so I have worms out ready for dawn :)

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'd fish worms with a feeder of maggots + chopped worms if the bottom is clear, if not probably spod some maggots and chopped worm in a little groundbait and pop the worm up.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes very good points about keeping warm! It'll be hard to enjoy it if you're too cold. I expect it will feel surprisingly cold at night, even if it's hot in the day.

I think I will be fishing lobs on all rods during the day (and float fishing if the swim is suitable) with mainly perch in mind, switching over to mini bolt rigs and fake baits at night for tench and (maybe!) bream. I don't expect to be feeding much but will keep each swim topped up with a little groundbait and maggots. In the past I've had good perch from swims prepared for tench and bream so I don't think I need to fish separate spots for the different species, except perhaps a perch-specific spot right in the margins if they're deep.

The other thing I'm doing differently is having the perch rods all made up ready to go so I can get baits in the water ASAP on arrival. I'll then sort out the proper feature finding and baiting later on once I think any morning feeding spell has passed.

Then up before dawn each day to switch the rods back so I have worms out ready for dawn :)

Anderoo

Thanks for the tip I will follow your example, I don't think I will alter the rig set ups I used from a few years back they cannot possibly have changed too radically, I may have to get down to a tackle shop though to get some new leads and hooks.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.