Wingham Fish-In Sat Apr 25th to Mon Apr 27th

Steve Burke

Three tench so far - two small ones of 3-4lb, one male and one female, and a better female of 5lb6oz. One to each rod, on worm, pellet and paste, and fake maggots. The third one took while I was putting the second one back, landing net still on unhooking mat with the other rod hooked to the mesh. Unhooking landing nets in the dark with one hand while playing a tench is interesting!

• Like 1

In the last 8-9 trips to Wingham I've never caught through the hours of darkness, I did have an occurance over on middle wood one year which I won't talk about because I forgot to switch my alarm on :(.

Last night however I managed to break that curse and put 2 lovely tench on the bank at 7lb and 8lb 1oz. I did lose another at 5am this morning but thankfully it didn't feel too big.

I have to admit to being very nervous this morning at 4am as my bream rod fished on method feeder over a bed of smooth silt gave a single beep, then the indicator shot up half way. I switched my alarm off and just hovered over the rod with shaking hands waiting for line to tick off the baitrunner before even contemplating picking it up. 30 seconds later the bobbin hit the rod and the spool span into life as a fish was clearly hooked. Unfortunately I knew straight away that it wasn't a bream but I'll be honest my heart stopped beating when I lifted that rod. It still turned out to be an 8lb 1oz tench so I was not complaining.

Total tally for me as of this morning is 7 tench with the biggest going 8lb 9oz. I'm hoping to build on this but the wind has just changed to a cold northerly so we'll have to see how this impacts the fishing.

• Like 1

Effort equals reward!!

In yesterday's lovely weather I only managed one small tench at dusk, and nothing in the night. This morning since the weather turned (cold wind and rain coming straight at me) the swim has come to life with a further 4 tench since dawn up to 8.04.

The perch I had yesterday had spawned and looked frail so I'm leaving them in peace.

About to hit post and two rods go off at the same time, that was fun in the rain!

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Just to keep all the catch report together ...

We blanked unfortunaly. Only real excitment was at around 2am, one at a time, all 3 rods beeped into life right to left. I suspect a shoal of "somthing" was passing through. I really hope it wasnt the bream but I will never really know, but thats the great thing about Wingham, it keeps you guessing :D

This morning I was woken up by the geese and their goslings, dont know who got the bigger shock as they all turned up at the bivvy door :ph34r:

Good luck for the last night guys, We are currently drying off after this mornings downpours lol.

As always, a MASSIVE thank you to all those involved in getting the fish-in together. Its one of the few events each year I really look forward too.

If im lucky enough to be able to attend next year, I will try and get my head round how the gate locks work lol. Didnt seem to matter what code I tried the things didnt want to let me out :wacko:

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

After a mild night, at 7am the wind swung round to the NNE and the temperature dropped sharply, remaining at about only 8C all day! There was then light rain all morning until early afternoon. The water temperature at 11.30 was 14.3C.

Despite the cold weather the tench at least continued to feed. Here are the fish reports up to the BBQ at 1.30. I'll post the final reports on the separate topic I've just started. That way everything will be kept together for the future. Please post your final reports and the customary reports on that topic, although whilst the fish-in is still going on you're welcome to post here as well.

Here are the catches I know of up to the BBQ at 1.30:

Main Lake

Anderoo (Right Disabled) 7 tench to 8-04 + 2 perch of about 1-08

Vagabond (Y Swim) 2oz perch

Mat Hillman (2nd platform) 6 tench to 7-07

Wyeknot (Meatballs) 4 tench to 8-00

Tony U (Left Logs) PB tench of 8-00

Steve Walker (Middle Wood) 3 tench to 5-06

Steve King (Wood Shallows) 2 tench to 4-06

James Champkin (Tim's Point) 2 tench to 5-08

Colin R (Back Bay Corner) 3 tench to 7-07

Russ (Right Plantation) 4 eels to 2-00

Sharkbyte (Left Plantation) 5 eels to 3-04 plus a pike of about 6lbs

Dave Johnson (Backstage) tench of 7-02

KAYC (Windy City) 3 female tench 6-02, 6-00 & 5-04, plus a pike of about 5lbs

Paul Westcott (Point) tench of 4-07

Anthony78 (Big Island Platform) 11 tench to 8-09

Carp Lake

Dales (Left Irises) eels of 3-14 and 4-08

James Cox (Skeltons) 3 pike 14lbs to 19lbs

After a mild night, at 7am the wind swung round to the NNE and the temperature dropped sharply, remaining at about only 8C all day! There was then light rain all morning until early afternoon. The water temperature at 11.30 was 14.3C.

Despite the cold weather the tench at least continued to feed. Here are the fish reports up to the BBQ at 1.30. I'll post the final reports on the separate topic I've just started. That way everything will be kept together for the future. Please post your final reports and the customary reports on that topic, although whilst the fish-in is still going on you're welcome to post here as well.

Here are the catches I know of up to the BBQ at 1.30:

Main Lake

Anderoo (Right Disabled) 4 tench

Vagabond (Y Swim) 2oz perch

Mat Hillman (2nd platform) 6 tench to 7-07

Wyeknot (Meatballs) 4 tench to 8-00

Tony U (Left Logs) PB tench of 8-00

Steve Walker (Middle Wood) 3 tench to 5-06

Steve King (Wood Shallows) 2 tench to 4-06

James Champkin (Tim's Point) 2 tench to 5-08

Colin R (Back Bay Corner) 3 tench to 7-07

Russ (Right Plantation) 4 eels to 2-00

Sharkbyte (Left Plantation) 5 eels to 3-04 plus a pike of about 6lbs

Dave Johnson (Backstage) tench of 7-02

KAYC (Windy City) 3 female tench 6-02, 6-00 & 5-04, plus a pike of about 5lbs

Paul Westcott (Point) tench of 4-07

Anthony78 (Big Island Platform) 11 tench to 8-09

Carp Lake

Dales (Left Irises) eels of 3-14 and 4-08

James Cox (Skeltons) 3 pike 14lbs to 19lbs

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Small correction, by the BBQ I'd had 7 tench to 8.04 plus a couple of perch of about a pound and a half. Had a few more since but no big ones.

The rain has now gone and the wind has dropped, all my tench have come in daylight so I'm not expecting anything til dawn (unless Mr bream wanders along...)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sorry, Andrew, now corrected. Good luck with the bream. If I had to bet on a bream coming out I'd guess at you or Paul (tincatinca).

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

No bream here, in fact like the previous night no beeps at all except the occasional small liner. Just recast the rods with maggots in case the tench fancy breakfast :)

Just one more tench to report - 5lb 2oz at 17.15 last night. Very quiet since then apart from the owls and nightingales during the night and the bittern and cuckoo this morning.

Air temperature got down to 4C last night (brrrr!) but the water temperature has held up at 14C. Hope yet for more tincas before we go:)

Regards,

Steve C.