moon phases

mad frankie frazer

hello everyone

i hope you all had a nice xmas.

what i want to no is do any of you fish by the moon phases (special times)

for course fish

if so do you think there is something in it or is is just nonesense.

happy new year.

WHEN IM GOOD THEY NEVER REMEMBER

WHEN IM BAD THEY NEVER FORGET.

the moon as an effect on all bodies of water from mighty oceans to tiny farm ponds weather its by gravity or ambriant light levels or the moons effect on the earth's magnetic fields.

More Lunacy:

moon magic 1

moon magic 2

moon magic 3

solunar one mans discovery

moon phase calculator

monthly moonphases + rise and fall times

moon charts {my mate pauls excellent site}

( bet you wished you never asked now nerd.gif )

i've often thought about buying one of these weather stations

20ba6bfd23ae506b9511bc52277a8390.jpg

but i'm not really one for gadgets and the closest i get is some manky seaweed and fir cones

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Solunar makes more sense to me than only concentrating on the moon.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Here is another to guide/misguide you??

http://www.paulcarlisle.net/old/MoonCalendar.html

Any water, be it salt, or fresh, the fish respond to the moon phases. The best times, I have found, are the 8 days of the full moon, ie 4 days before and after.

Very strange Newt, one of our boating mags publishes the "Maori Solunar Tables". For a year I followed it as closely as I could, given SE trade winds, using "moon up" and "moon down" etc. and found that I was actually getting fewer fish than the basic "4 days before and after."

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

I pay attention to moon phase when I'm after barra because the size of the tide, the time of the tide and the level of light available when night fishing are pretty vital information.

I don't really do a lot of coarse fishing at night but really, life's to short to worry about what the moon's doing, especially in the UK where the biggest concern is staying warm.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I certainly can't speak for any other location in the world but where I am, the solunar active periods see more wildlife activity than other times and the same conditions are supposed to affect fish as well.

Granted, the hot times don't always produce lots of fish because other factors (weather mostly) have a more immediate effect. I don't really schedule my fishing around the table times and continue to fish when I can. However, if I only have limited choices for a given period of time (work for instance), I will go with the predicted hot times rather than predicted dead times. If I have a choice of scheduling holiday time to do some fishing, I will go with a predicted group of good days rather than bad days.

If you have a chance, watch a field of cattle and compare their general activity to the solunar schedule. They should be more actively grazing and moving around during the 'hot times'.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

We've often discussed moon phases and inland fishing on the Forum and sometimes the debate has got heated to say the least! Just do a search!

My own feeling is that the phase of the moon does affect fishing results. For instance, a large proportion of US freshwater records came within a day or two of either new moon or full moon. For the mathematically minded, these do on the face of it appear to be statistically significant rather than just down to sheer chance, although I haven't got the full data to do a test.

The connection between the moon and fishing goes back even further than John Aldon Knight's book in the 1920s. In fact, the ancient Maori calendar is based on the moon, with each day of the lunar month being rated according to the fishing.

Having said all that, I don't believe that the moon is as important as many other factors, including the weather and floods etc. Instead it's just one more piece in the jigsaw - in non-tidal waters anyway.

Like Newt says, it does no harm to take the Solunar tables into account when planning a trip. However, the "wrong" moon phase certainly won't stop me going fishing. But an adverse weather forecast might!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I am that convinced that big moons can be detrimental to fishing that I now try and avoid them.Even to the extent I will look up the moon cycle and organise around it when planning important trips!

Trouble with debating all of this is that ALL of the "Lunar cycle gurus" seem to work on which moon is best rather than as my experience has shown me which is worst! there is a difference honestly! None have ever been able to offer ANY theorey as to why it (well acording to their charts) is so!

Its to big a subject for me to strart posting on now but as Steve says if your interested try a search on this forum.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes we have had a few discussions on the topic.

Budgie told us that big full moons were bad news for bream fishers - Now as I rarely fish for bream I hadn't enough data to check this out directly, but I did run a comparison of my roach catches against moon phases.

The results from one water in particular were very interesting. Sometimes you could catch two or three decent roach (I'm talking fish of between 1lb 4 oz and 1 lb 14 oz) in a session, sometimes you would be pestered with bream the entire session.

When I checked the catch data (and I fished this water a lot) against moon phase, I found I was catching these decent roach at the very times Budgie said were bad for bream,

Contradictory ? - I think not. It could just be that the only chances the big roach had to find my baits were when the bream were skulking.

This might be a one-off water, as I could not discern similar patterns at other waters I fish. It does show however, that patterns do exist, although you need to do a lot of fishing to get enough results to show a trend.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...