Fist Whip or Pole

Paul_2005

:unsure:

Dear All,

Thinking of buying a whip or pole. I've never used either.

Would it make sense to start with a whip of say 7m to see if I like it, or go for a pole of say 11 - 13m?

I will be using it mainly for still water near home which holds everything - silverfish to 3lb, carp to 40lb

Can you recommend particular whips and poles and what else i need.

Is there a good book or dvd for beginners on poles?

Thanks for looking

Happy New Year

Whip's n poles are two different things. Start off with a 8-9 metre carp pole. I started with a 6 metre Midi with an elastic rating of 20 and I still use it.

Yogi. :thumbs:

Take nothing but photo's.

Leave nothing but footprints.

Kill nothing but time.

I'm not into poles but Liam loves fishing the pole. I started him with a 6mtr one which for his size was just right. He is only 11 so the wieght was taken into consideration when I got it. I managed to get one for £40 at a local tackle shop. I did not want to spend too much in case he did not like/use it.

Use a local tackle shop and explain what you want and they should advise you. You could spend hundreds of pounds on one and not like using it so it might be worth getting a cheap and cheerfull one and see how you get on first.

I have to get advise on elastic ratings so I'm not the one to explain which is best as that depands what fishing you are doing. The higher the number the stronger the elastic, so again that will depend on what you are targeting.

Hope that is of some help.

Happy Neew Year to you too, and welcome to the board.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I would never use a whip or pole for Carp up to 40lbs!!!!!

Whips were invented to "whip out" small fish at speed in matches, pleasure anglers use them of course, because the technique is as basic as it gets ie; a stick and some line tied to the end of it, swing it out ,strike and swing it in...good,cheap fun and an ideal way of starting youngsters off into our sport /pastime....but a definite no ,no if targeting large ,powerful fish, the end result will be a either a broken line or worse still a broken whip.

I use a pole with powerful elastic for commercial carp up to 20lbs in some matches, but even that size is on the upper limit IMO, a running line is far safer and the way to go, always use the correct gear for the task.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Thanks for your advice. Ihave carp gear, what i meant was there is a chance of hooking one of the bigger fish, not targeting them with a pole.

What I really want it for is to catch specimen silverfish, having the accuracy of being able to bait and cast on a sixpence.

Thanks everyone for your help :clap:

I would go for a pole, if its your first pole, think about want distance you want to fish, the price your looking to pay. for a cheap pole myself, for the match top, and 2 top 2 sections that come with it, so you can go quite heavy on the elastic and the rigs, is the leeda assasin 11 pole...

i know its an argos pole, but the price side of it for a a starter is very good.. the pole itself is very good..i used it all year till i upgraded to a 14.5m maver. and i dont see why with one of the top sections you cant elasticate to double up as a whip.

better to have one than can do two jobs as opposed to have two to do two jobs..

but there are many more poles out there and im sure someone can tell you of other makes...im just going off what i have used.

regards

sean

woman want me, fish fear me

Id say pole every time and go for the longest your money can stretch too, made the mistake yrs ago when buying my 1st pole and got a 11m shakespeare thing was always 1.5/2 m to short for the far side of the canal!

And try and get 1 with as many spare tops as you can, bought 1 earlier this yr for the uncle in law was a middy s2 12.7 and was mightly impressed as it only cost £150 and you got extras galore with it.

The best you can do is buy a "grown-up" pole. The MINIMUM you want is 11m.

I have 2 poles and use 3 or 4 sections, fishing "under my feet" more often than not. But fishing in a match, I wouldn't think of margin fishing! It is always nice to know that you've got the length to fish the lilly pads!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I have 2 poles and use 3 or 4 sections, fishing "under my feet" more often than not. But fishing in a match, I wouldn't think of margin fishing! It is always nice to know that you've got the length to fish the lilly pads!

This is a good point. An ordinary take-apart pole will do a whip's job almost as well. You might bump the odd fish that a flick tip would have kept on, but it's negligible. Even fishing 3 or 4 sections to hand for bits, I've never really thought "I wish I had a purpose designed whip for this". There have been plenty of times I've been glad of elastic, though.